Advanced search

Question about housing benefit

(12 Posts)
Oodlesandpoodles Sun 17-Mar-19 20:48:28

Yes I know this isn’t AIBU but more people seem to be on this thread than others. ( plus I’m ALWAYS reading this group)

So I’m moving in with a lady who is a family friend.

She has agreed to privately rent out a single room to me for £250 a month all bills included etc.

Now, I am looking to claim housing benefit as I already can universal credit.

If write up a formal agreement on a normal bit of paper outlining, the room, the rent and how often it is to be paid etc

Would that be ok / proof enough?

WrongKindOfFace Sun 17-Mar-19 20:55:14

Do you mean the housing element of universal credit? You’d be best putting a message on your account asking exactly what evidence they need.

dementedpixie Sun 17-Mar-19 20:56:23

I don't think you can claim housing benefit separately once you claim universal credit

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 17-Mar-19 20:57:29

UC won’t pay for bills .

badger561 Sun 17-Mar-19 20:57:50

Hi. I was already on universal credit when I needed to start claiming housing benefits. I had to ring universal credit to book a appointment. I needed a tenancy agreement as well as letter with my new address on.

Oodlesandpoodles Sun 17-Mar-19 21:11:02

Wrong kind of face - thank you smile

Demented pixie - I will look but thank you for reply

Mydcaremarvel- ... thanks?

Badger561- I’ll give them a ring in the morning ❤️

MyDcAreMarvel Sun 17-Mar-19 21:12:56

Sorry I posted to soon . What I meant to say was UC won’t pay for the rent that includes bills, so it needs to be itemised how much is board and how much is lodgings.

aLilNonnyMouse Sun 17-Mar-19 21:12:58

UC will only cover part of the rent as they wont pay for the "bills included" part.

Oodlesandpoodles Sun 17-Mar-19 21:20:37

Oh ok! Thanks guys 😍🥰😍

CantStopMeNow Mon 18-Mar-19 03:56:08

just tell them it's rent only and your bills are separate to this....

WrongKindOfFace Mon 18-Mar-19 12:04:19

That would be fraud.

LakieLady Mon 18-Mar-19 12:09:52

If UC regulations reflect housing benefit regulations, they deduct a standard amount in respect of utilities etc that are included.

The local housing allowance for shared accommodation will apply, too. This is usually significantly less than the one-bed rate (only a bit more than half in my area).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »