Talk

Advanced search

Paedophile (glory) hunters FB group/sting

(69 Posts)
MyNewtMyFrogMyLittleRedDog Sun 17-Mar-19 19:25:45

I am likely outing myself here to anybody that knows me but will try to be as clear as I can while being vague enough to protect my identity.

I had heard of the paedo hunters that pose as children, trap and ID the person that behaves inappropriately and then shares it on social media but thankfully never had anything to do with them. Then a few days ago I walked out of my house to get into the car with my kids and a group of people were circled around my next door neighbour n the front. I was not concerned, until I saw (my other side) the neighbours waving frantically at me. A woman then breaks away from the circle around my neighbour, approaches me and insists very loudly that I had to move the children as a paedophile was being confronted and they did not want them to hear. Needless to say I bundled the kids in the car and called my sister in a panic. She replied " Oh shit, I was watching that live on FB and knew I recognised him".

Now this is massively worrying me. It is bad enough that my neighbour has been arrested for this but these "hunters" have been live screening footage of my house and the next door neighbours, insulting the local police and stirring up shit. The police have been all over the estate due to local vigilantes marching around. The houses are not clearly numbered, the estates overlap so the address they gave out could actually be confused for a whole other road, and I am petrified that somebody is going to try and get into my house or accost my children , my adult sons or my husband. Every time somebody walks past my heart is racing and I could honestly throttle the fucking group that think its ok to do this.

If they were responsible and wanted justice they would have just handed the information to the police and not live streamed THREE videos showing two houses (one is mine, along with both our cars parked outside) . They even had the audacity to complain that the police had told them to stop live streaming as they could compromise any further investigations. Surely this is almost as bad as the shit head vigilantes that are patrolling the streets looking for somebody to beat up?

elasticfantastic Mon 18-Mar-19 18:12:58

These groups are awful. If they actually gave a shit about justice rather than their egos, they wouldn't confront the people , they would just hand the evidence over to police. They certainly wouldn't film the confrontation and put it on social media before there has been a court trial.

They have no consideration for consequences, as OP has unfortunately discovered. If I was OP I'd be putting the fuck up and the consequences OP has had all over social media.. local spotted groups etc, to let people know that they are getting misplaced abuse and let people know how the hunter group don't give a shit about the effect on OP now they had their glory moment.

MamaBear8686 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:21:54

So pleased to see that the overwhelming opinion here is that the so called 'pedo hunters' are complete dickheads. I have always always hated them and what they stand for which is essentially begging for likes and lapping up praise from idiots online who think they are heroes. I even saw a documentary where one group was setting up some sort of fan club where you could buy memorabilia. How is that about catching criminals? It's about ego and glory hunting.

Yet whenever I've expressed this opinion in real life I get shot down. People genuinely do seem to think they are heroes despite the fact that they probably hinder more cases than they help.

Recent example was when some idiot on my fb posted photos of a man 'acting oddly' around a school. Cue lots of horrible comments. A few days later the mans brother came on fb and explained he had brain damage and walks that route every morning, totally harmless. He'd been extremely upset after that post, there have also been cases of suicide from similar. It really really boils my blood.

tinytemper66 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:40:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JaneEyre07 Mon 18-Mar-19 18:48:49

Having watched a few documentaries on these self-proclaimed "hunters", they've not exactly struck me as the brightest bulbs in the box.....

Just doing something to make their lives exciting.

I hope things settle down quickly OP.

mushlett Mon 18-Mar-19 18:58:55

When I was a teenager my friends Dad got arrested for being a paedophile, a few days after his arrest whilst he was still in custody a brick was thrown through her living room window. It was terrifying for her as she was left with the consequences whilst trying to come to terms with the fact that the man she’d loved her whole life wasn’t who she thought. I really wish these people would consider the implications for innocent family and neighbours.

Gilead Mon 18-Mar-19 22:28:28

TheQueef, re: the documents; haven’t seen it but it would appear someone’s made a mistake. Both with the numbers and the evidence.

TheQueef Tue 19-Mar-19 11:02:42

Gilead I think it was CPS figures they used.
If the figures are correct then without the vigilante groups half of the men convicted would still be free to engage and groom children.

There is a gap that needs filling fast.

WhoWants2Know Tue 19-Mar-19 12:19:07

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/apr/24/paedophile-hunters-jeopardising-police-work-child-protection

I can find plenty of stories online about how they jeapordise police work, but none on how they help, oddly.

AuntieCJ Tue 19-Mar-19 12:20:52

Strange that. Not.

NannyRed Tue 19-Mar-19 12:40:06

I’ve heard of several cases being thrown out of court because the glory hunters live streamed it on Facebook.

It’s not about justice, it’s about vengeance, pass details to the police if they want justice.

You have my sympathy, and I agree you’re correct, it’s not right at all that these idiots show your Home, your car and claim to be on the side of righteousness ‘

Kolo Tue 19-Mar-19 12:53:00

When I was a student we got a brick thrown through our front window, apparently (according to the police, who in those days would come out to a call about a brick out through a window) because our neighbour was on the sex offenders register.

It’s such arrogance and idiocy to think vigilante actions can lead to justice. They’re more often than not completely wrong, target the wrong person.

IC4nSeeYourPixels Tue 19-Mar-19 14:45:44

Sole of these groups are doing it for themselves and for their own image and fame and there's bickering and point scoring between different groups in what often appears to be a popularity contest.

Some groups do things properly and don't show footage, name people, etc etc until after a conviction is secured. A brother of Sil's best friend was caught by one of these groups, local community knew who had been caught but no footage or shaming etc was uploaded until he'd been convicted.

There's an increasing number of groups live streaming these confrontations and doing more harm than good because their own actions are jeopardising cases. They give addresses and house numbers and then locals turn up giving the rest of the family abuse. That's not ok.

I've seen some where the vigilante group are very aggressive and intimidating towards family to let them in the house and then they wonder why "they" get I trouble with police themselves.

And worryingly some people seem to be "hunters" in it as a cover for themselves. Two "hunters" from various groups near me have been caught themselves sending their dick pics to children in stings by other groups.

The ones who are legit and follow rules etc get shit from frenzied locals calling them "nonce defenders" when they won't give names and addresses so they can go kick shit out of them.

One a few months ago was confronting a "female" viewers were getting very very riled up and angry when they kept being asked to stop calling the trans woman "Male" and that repeatedly misgendering the perp will end up with them not being convicted. They shouldn't have live streamed the fucking thing, if their evidence wasn't rock solid and calling a male a male would result in case collapsing. Or maybe they should have ended the live stream when it became clear viewers were not going to pretend he was female.

It terrifies me the amount of men (and women) out there who approach children online and that our own police can't keep on top of it all and that there's a need for these groups in the first place.

I remember watching a police documentary about this stuff a few years ago and being horrified when it was said out of 3,000 men who'd approached a fake child profile, only something like 10 stopped the sexual discussions when she said she was 13. That's terrifying.

IC4nSeeYourPixels Tue 19-Mar-19 14:54:36

When Sil's best friend brother was caught the family had threats and were accused of knowing what he was like and protecting him.

There been a 19 year old from the little village Im from convicted by one of these groups but he wasn't named and he wasn't recorded. The group hand the evidence over to the police and then give details after conviction. That's the right way to do it in my opinion and because they aren't uploading footage of themselves confronting and just given details of sex, age, location and crime after conviction is secured.

Jayne35 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:27:11

Totally agree with most previous PPs they are just awful bullies and I wish they could be arrested for what they do. Not a thought for the wives and children of those they have accused whose lives are made miserable and very public.

I have started to remove friends from my facebook for sharing this shit and encouraging it.

Op, awful about your car. I hope you have complained to fb about your house being in the videos and reported the car damage to the police, those hunters should pay for the damage imo!

Loopylou6 Tue 19-Mar-19 15:53:12

1 group have been arrested and awaiting trial at a crown court

Drogosnextwife Tue 19-Mar-19 16:00:46

They are fucking idiots. It's happened a few times near us. People recognised the area but we're trashing neighbours house's, probably not even by accident. Another one was a man who had additional needs and had the mental age of around 6 years old, he had carers fgs, in those type of situations things need to be handled by trained police officers not idiots on a man hunt.

Itscontroversial Tue 19-Mar-19 18:24:01

These people are disgusting. I'm a regular on here but NC to post about this subject as it's so important to retain anonymity. I'm the (soon to be ex) wife of someone who was stung by one of these groups. Anyone who supports them doesn't know the horror of having your family at the centre of one of these streams. When you're getting vile trolls hurling abuse at you online even though they've never met you. Friends who've seen it messaging you to see what on earth is going on. The police raiding your home in front of your young children and social services becoming involved. Having to explain to schools and hobbies why your kids' father has to be kept away and having to explain to children who are too young to understand. The subsequent investigations take years, it's not all done and dusted in a few days or even weeks. I don't support paedophiles at all and I'm divorcing my "D"H as his behaviour has been beyond reprehensible. Even if he doesn't end up with a conviction he's a dirty and sordid creep. But the families deserve protection, they are victims too. Leave playing cops and robbers to the actual police.

WellThisIsShit Tue 19-Mar-19 22:17:05

God how awful. Did you phone the police and report the car keying etc? They need to be doing more to calm this situation down... you poor thing.

Vigilante ‘justice’ isn’t an actual thing as vigilante action doesn’t tend to result in true justice, as it’s not motivated by people wanting to do good or bring people to justice. It’s all about the thrill of the hunt and the puffed up self importance the gang can give each other.

Tempnamech4nge Tue 19-Mar-19 22:32:03

I see alot of this on social media.

Two different groups have exposed members of their own 'teams' for finding out that they were convicted sex offenders.

IMO that speaks volumes about the type of character that these groups attract.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »