Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your left over recipes/basic and cheap meals!

(42 Posts)
gayandokay Sun 17-Mar-19 18:45:14

Just that really! Always left at the end of the week with no food in the house and when I look for recipes online I can never find easy recipes with basic ingredients. Thanks guys!

Sanguineclamp Mon 18-Mar-19 08:30:49

Ylvamoon that recipe looks good too!

Sanguineclamp Mon 18-Mar-19 08:29:55

Thank you Floatingthroughspace! Spattered recipes always the best.

FloatingthroughSpace Mon 18-Mar-19 08:10:47

Photo attached of (well loved) lentil bake recipe for those asking. I guess you can use white rice floral but I think it might change the texture - make it mushier.

Ylvamoon Sun 17-Mar-19 20:53:32

Cheap & Easy! (I always use my slow cooker but can be done in a casserole dish)
1x tin of Dahl / curryed chick peas or similar.
1x tin of butter beans or chick peas
About 50g lentils
300-400g frozen mixed vegetables
1x tin chopped tomatoes or some tomato puree - optional
top up with veg. stock & (optional) coconut milk
add extra curry powder to taste
Enjoy with bread ...

For the luxury version: add half a leg of lamb on the bone!

Girlinstripedpyjamas Sun 17-Mar-19 20:46:20

I’d love that lentil bake recipe too please!

Floralhousecoat Sun 17-Mar-19 20:40:44

Yes recipe please, @floating!! Can I use white rice instead of brown?

Sanguineclamp Sun 17-Mar-19 20:31:32

Do you have recipe for lentil bake by any chance please Floatingthroughspace?

feelingverylazytoday Sun 17-Mar-19 20:28:15

Dried pea soup/stew
Brown rice and vegetables (frozen mixed veg is the cheapest)
Lentil bolognaise
Dal and rice
Potato wedges, beans and egg
Bubble and squeak with a fried egg
All of these meals come in well under a pound per portion.

flameycakes Sun 17-Mar-19 20:12:33

@snowflake9 fishfinger and mushy pea toasties or just bread yum x

FloatingthroughSpace Sun 17-Mar-19 19:46:12

I make a fabulous lentil bake - onions, red lentils and brown rice baked in veg stock with foil on top for 1 hr, add grated cheese and bake another 30 mins to make a crust. Serve with green salad. Yummy and costs pennies.

Tawdrylocalbrouhaha Sun 17-Mar-19 19:43:53

Microwave rice pouch stirred through a can of chili soup, with grated cheddar stirred in. Maybe some crunched up tortilla chips on top.

I can actually cook, but my DS prefers this.

PetuliaBlavatsky Sun 17-Mar-19 19:41:51

End-of-the-week favourite here is lentil dhal. Red lentils (plus a tin of green ones if you like), onion, curry powder, coconut milk and stock. I buy the sachets of coconut cream so I always have some in, but you can use tinned coconut milk or blocks of coconut cream.

Sanguineclamp Sun 17-Mar-19 19:41:44

Nigella's sweet corn fritters - you beat the egg whites separately and then fold in to the rest of the ingreds - makes them fluffier. Sometimes I fry bacon lardons and stir them in to the mix.

There's an egg and courgette bake (I think it's called Golden Wonder) in the Mumsnet cookery book. Quite a few of the recipes in there are nutritious/non- fussy.

Pea and ham soup.

Lentil soup.

Chana masala. (Felicity Cloake's recipe in the Guardian is good.)

cardibach Sun 17-Mar-19 19:40:31

We have a recipe called store cupboard surprise. It can be varied.
It includes
-some form of meat/fish, eg tinned tuna
-carb, eg potato or pasta
- white sauce
- grated cheese.
Make a white sauce(with onion if you have some). Add the protein. Cook the carb. Mix all the things together and put in a flattish dish with grated cheese on top if you have some. Bake until cheese is melted/brown. The last step is not necessary if electric costs are relevant. Just add the cheese to the sauce, mix it all together and serve.

PurpleCrazyHorse Sun 17-Mar-19 19:40:02

Some of our (rather boring) ideas...

Tuna pasta bake: tinned tuna, pasta, jar of pasta bake sauce, cheese for the top. We also cook some frozen beans to go with it (or salad items) to add some colour and vegetables!

Casserole: diced beef steak, root vegetables, tomato puree, beef stock cubes, Worcester sauce, bit of flour to thicken. Because we make this regularly, I have the ingredients in the cupboard all the time. Make loads (we use the slow cooker), freeze leftovers, makes a quick reheated meal with rice.

Curry: meat (we usually use chicken), jar of Indian sauce, vegetables such as peppers and potatoes. Another slow cooker favourite, again make loads and freeze the leftovers. Use old takeaway tubs to freeze and write contents on the lids with a marker pen.

BBC Good Food is a good recipe site and we've made some nice Jamie Oliver 30min meals (they take longer the first few times though).

MrsPnut Sun 17-Mar-19 19:39:57

We usually plan meals and the leftovers too. For example, a gammon joint cooked would make ham, egg and chips with the leftover ham making pasta with ham and peas and maybe some for an omelette.

Snowflake9 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:39:07

Always a winner too - fishfinger sandwiches!

mrsoutnumbered Sun 17-Mar-19 19:36:01

These are two of my go-to cheap recipes.

Chorizo omelette (from a jamie Oliver book) - fry chopped chorizo and add chopped tomato. Beat eggs add chopped chilli, tip into pan. Add spring onion on top.

Chilli bacon tomato Rigatoni (obvs any pasta will work.) - slice garlic and fry. Add bacon and fry until brown. Add passata and chilli flakes. Simmer for 30 mins and the stir into cooked pasta.

itsbritneybiatches Sun 17-Mar-19 19:35:04

Tuna bake is usually doable too with basics. It's just pasta tuna and a sachet mix if nothing else is in the fridge

itsbritneybiatches Sun 17-Mar-19 19:34:13

What have you got in your cupboards?

We make a roast on Sunday. Usually babe enough for another on Monday and then with the leftover mash and veg I usually make a bubble and squeak
Mash and use it as a cottage pie topping. Nice way to get more veg into your diet. It freezes well too.

So three days worth of evening meals.

burritofan Sun 17-Mar-19 19:27:54

Ooh, veg fritters sound nice – stealing! Also hash, same idea: fry up chopped onion, leftover potatoes, leftover chopped veg, add some chilli powder, plonk in baking dish and make hollows on top for eggs, bake til eggs are done, serve with ketchup and hot sauce.

flameycakes Sun 17-Mar-19 19:26:03

One of my youngests easy peasy cupboard meals is noodles, tinned tuna, sweetcorn, some chilli paste and a touch of honey, sounds weird but it works x

MogThoughtDarkThoughts Sun 17-Mar-19 19:24:59

Veg fritters - grate or finely chop whatever veg you have left in the fridge, like carrots or courgettes - and/or you could use tinned like sweetcorn - add beaten egg, and fry spoonfuls. Delicious, especially with pitta bread and pretty much any dip or sauces - ketchup, tzatziki, chili.

Frittatas are good for using up leftovers too - the odd potato, chopped meat from a previous meal, any veg you have left.

In a pinch, those condensed cream of chicken/celery soups make a decent sauce for pasta bake if you're going for the good old storecupboard staples.

flameycakes Sun 17-Mar-19 19:23:05

Tinned mackerel in tomato sauce and cheese on toast is one of my stand bys x

Hankib Sun 17-Mar-19 19:19:35

Hi OP, I had a custom meal plan set made for about £5-£10 from a instagram business if you’re interested? It included a meal plan table and shopping list, and is really useful. My DH and I sit down every weekend and plan for the week ahead, and then write on the shopping list what ingredients are needed. This really avoided arguments, wastage of fresh fruit and veg, no last minute unhealthy takeaways etc. Really helpful!

My quick cheap end-of-month staples are veg pasta bake (any leftover veg plus tinned tomatoes, garlic and dried herbs), chickpea curry, frozen fish plus veg and couscous, coconut dhaal (butter, dhaal, onions, spices, half tin of coconut milk and spinach) etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »