Talk

Advanced search

To think Hollyoaks need to pull this storyline!?

(17 Posts)
TheCrowFromBelow Sun 17-Mar-19 20:37:06

*revenge should be recent

TheCrowFromBelow Sun 17-Mar-19 20:36:42

Absolutely ideal time to cover it.
Why does it break your heart? Storyline started way before revenge news - shows it needs to be talked about IMO.
“Football” lads = excuse for nasty people to get together. Zero to do with football.

Marriedwithchildren5 Sun 17-Mar-19 20:36:10

Surely half their storylines should be pulled incase they upset someone (like every other soap, programme film) Why have you decided this should be hidden away??

FreyaB84 Sun 17-Mar-19 20:32:02

Hollyoaks has a long history of covering difficult issues, from suicide to mental health issues to childhood sexual abuse to domestic violence and grooming. Sure, it's uncomfortable to watch, but that doesn't mean it should be pulled. So far, I think they've done a good job with this one.

Birdsgottafly Sun 17-Mar-19 20:29:24

I don't think they should pull it, it's the ideal time to cover it.

Hollyoaks is a shit soap, (ex criminals walking into hospital/school and getting a job) but they do some things well and quite accurately.

It's going to start conversations, which is the aim.

OftenHangry Sun 17-Mar-19 20:04:41

Russian ultras started in 90s as far as I know

Jazzybeats Sun 17-Mar-19 19:33:45

The football lads were founded in 2017. So no, we are not in the fucking 80’s.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_Lads_Alliance

OftenHangry Sun 17-Mar-19 19:09:04

I don't agree they should pull it. Maybe it's goimg to get through that thick skulls of some people that they are being idiots and they look like idiots.
Agree with pp. The football association is a real thing all over the world.

namechanged1028374 Sun 17-Mar-19 19:04:53

@Jazzybeats why are we in the 80's?

Jazzybeats Sun 17-Mar-19 18:58:45

The football lads alliance is a thing. Football by day, racist thugs by night. And they use football to recruit. So it’s close to reality.

namechanged1028374 Sun 17-Mar-19 18:51:27

@Stormwhale yeah I am struggling with it, especially with the bits of news coming out at the same time just breaks my heart....

The fact they have linked the characters to being football crazy to just makes it even worse 🙄

jaseyraex Sun 17-Mar-19 18:47:44

But isn't that showing the extremism? People hurting other people who "look" Muslim is a real thing, so why wouldn't they do that? Hollyoaks have only ever pulled one storyline as far I remember and I've been watching a long time so I doubt they'd pull this one. They work closely with charities and people who have real experience of extremism so it's not like they're making it up as they go along.

Stormwhale Sun 17-Mar-19 18:38:43

I usually love Hollyoaks, but I have stopped watching lately as this storyline is doing my head in. I don't think it's going to incite people to harm Muslims, but it's just been so badly done it's a joke. The characters and acting are terrible and it doesn't fit in with the program at all.

namechanged1028374 Sun 17-Mar-19 18:35:04

The first real 'extremist' episode they beat the sh*t out of a man who 'looks' like he could possibly be muslim because he asks them to please move their car as it is blocking him in.

Just shocking ! So not just extremists but following stereotypes, my DH has a few friends who's grandparents are from India, they also get called muslims and they don't like it as they are hindu Im sure watching that scene would make them feel even better...

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 17-Mar-19 18:21:42

I think they are a good way to raise awareness among people who might not necessarily pay close attention to the news. As long as it is done well then I don’t see why they should pull it.

BreakYourselfAgainstMyStones Sun 17-Mar-19 18:17:41

Why would they pull it?

Hollyoaks always does difficult storylines, and they do them really well (it's the run of the mill stuff that leaves a lot to be desired).

If that's your view then why would any soap do any storyline, we could all just watch the news.

namechanged1028374 Sun 17-Mar-19 18:13:24

With everything going on in the world right now Hollyoaks are still showing the 'extremist' storyline. I rarely watch it but I record it for when nothing else is on TV and I'm just really shocked they haven't decided to stop showing it.

When these kinds of storylines are show its to bring awareness to the situation and how bad it is, after the murder of many muslims the other day in NZ (heartbreaking) I don't think we need a shitty TV programme turning a character into an extremist against muslims to let us all know how bad these people truly are and what they can turn others into you only need to read the news to see that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »