Talk

Advanced search

Is this a mobile phone scam or AIBU?

(16 Posts)
sewingismyhobby Sun 17-Mar-19 16:40:11

I'm in Ireland so use Vodafone.ie.
I pay for a rolling monthly contract with 2GB data included for €20 a month.
(mobile costs are higher in Ireland than U.K. I used to get away with £10 PAYG a month when I lived in Notts.)

I rarely use much data and would normally use much less than 500mb a month as I use WiFi when out or at home. It's more for emergencies.
I'm over 50 yrs, so I only use my mobile to make calls very rarely. I occasionally text, but not that much really.

I just saw that I've only got 20% of my data left for this month. The month only started 10 days ago - 8th March.

When I checked my data usage via the App, it shows number dialled: live.vodafone.com and X amount of data used.
However, I don't understand this at all.
All these instances occur after midnight, in the early hours. I go to bed around 11pm. My phone is charging in the bedroom.
There's no way anyone in my house uses my mobile phone after midnight.

I live very rurally as in there's no houses nearby within a mile or so of my house so no-one is accessing my WiFi or anything.
I'm now feeling a bit paranoid. 

WTF's going on?

JonSlow Sun 17-Mar-19 16:47:13

What phone have you got? How good is your WI-FI reception in your bedroom?

Omzlas Sun 17-Mar-19 16:49:25

Do you switch off your 4g at night?

Alongwaytogo Sun 17-Mar-19 16:51:09

Sounds like your phones doing updates overnight maybe?

TwoBlueFish Sun 17-Mar-19 16:51:44

I’m guessing that your phone is loosing WiFi and is then connecting to mobile data for updates etc. Try switching your phone to airplane mode (or off) overnight or turn your mobile data off.

squirrelnutkins1 Sun 17-Mar-19 16:53:40

See if you can find this setting. OH had this problem and it had been turned on, hence using a load of his data.

TruffleShuffles Sun 17-Mar-19 16:54:10

I can only speak for iPhones but mine won’t do an update unless it’s connected to WiFi so I can’t see that it’s that.

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 17-Mar-19 16:58:18

Apps running in the background? Have you inadvertently left running something like facebook which keeps checking for new postings? Automatic updates, which usually run after midnight? Seems a lot though. What was data usage like in the previous months?

Rhumba Sun 17-Mar-19 16:59:56

Yup check for Wifi assist. I used loads before I turned that off!

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 17-Mar-19 17:00:18

I can only speak for iPhones but mine won’t do an update unless it’s connected to WiFi so I can’t see that it’s that. Mine's Android, and it will do updates to OS when not connected to wifi

sewingismyhobby Sun 17-Mar-19 17:08:34

It's an iPhone. I can't find WiFi assist on it.
I've just turned Background App Refresh to Wi-Fi only. It was on WiFi & Mobile data.

All the data is from live.vodafone.com. Is that really just all my Apps updating?

sewingismyhobby Sun 17-Mar-19 17:10:05

4G? gringringringrin I did say I lived rurally.
I only get 4G when I get to the end of the drive, so it's just 3G in the house.

sewingismyhobby Sun 17-Mar-19 17:11:56

Thank you for all your suggestions. I'm going to assume it's the App updating thingy. Its off for now so I can check tomorrow morning that it's not being used overnight.

I feel less anxious now. Phew. smile

squirrelnutkins1 Sun 17-Mar-19 17:22:23

Go to settings
Mobile data
Then scroll all the way to the bottom and there you'll find WiFi assist

sewingismyhobby Mon 18-Mar-19 10:48:18

@squirrelnutkins1
Thank you so much, I've switched it off now.
I definitely wouldn't have found this without your advice, so I'm hugely grateful. <I've baked you a virtual cake cake >

What a ridiculous place to put that button.
I did discover that yesterday morning at 5am, my phone used 1.5GB mobile data. I think it did an auto software update. angry
I used to pay for 5GB monthly data and never noticed it getting used before but now I've only got 300mb data left for the next 20 days, I'm going to be very very careful. I'm not paying ridiculous extra charges.

squirrelnutkins1 Mon 18-Mar-19 12:16:13

Ah you're very welcome! Thanks for the cake 😋😋😋

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »