Talk

Advanced search

To say that some things about old fashioned school dinners tasted nice?

(207 Posts)
malificent7 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:42:06

Ok..so admittedly they are mostly puddings but i will start with australian crunch and that cornflake, jam treacle flan thingy. I want the recipie!

Iwantacampervan Sun 17-Mar-19 13:14:15

I only remember the puddings - especially the sponge and flavoured custards, we had green mint custard as well as pink and chocolate. Rice pudding and semolina either with jam or chocolate sprinkles which we stirred in to make a muddy brown mess.
Anyone from Kent remember gypsy tart served with a portion of apple as it was so sweet and sticky? I saw gypsy tart (branded as Kentish gypsy tart) in Morrisons and it made me feel nostalgic as I now live 2 counties along the coast from Kent.

CushyButtercup Sun 17-Mar-19 13:23:35

The semolina and jam dilema. Did you mix it up to make it all a pretty shade of pink or have a spoonful with a little bit of jam and a little bit of semolina. Whichever I did I always wished I'd done the alternative.

shopaholics Sun 17-Mar-19 13:25:46

School roast dinners are what stand out to me. That cheap weird "beef" in super watery gravy and rock hard potatoes with steamed veg. I'm pregnant and craving it despite hating watery gravy and soggy veg usually 😂

ballsdeep Sun 17-Mar-19 13:26:05

I used to run the tuck shop 🤣 we had a cupboard full of boxes and boxes of crisps, chomps, curly wurlys and fizzy sweets.

leghairdontcare Sun 17-Mar-19 13:32:44

Lumpy mash served with an ice cream scoop - didn't bother me at the time but I wouldn't want it now.

Artic Roll for dessert though - can't beat it.

SingaSong12 Sun 17-Mar-19 13:35:36

Chocolate sponge cake with chocolate custard

Charley50 Sun 17-Mar-19 13:36:17

Oh god yes! I'll be back later to share!

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 17-Mar-19 13:36:38

Our school kitchen made 3 things really well, and each of them appeared only one day a term (or maybe it was one day a year?)
1. A sticky chocolatey crunchy thing that may have been Australian crunch. With never enough for seconds.
2. Battered fish
3. Chips
But because our headmistress had pretensions and really wanted to be running a public school, she would never allow fish and chips at the same meal (it was "common"). So it was fish and mashed potatoes; and sausages and chips.

BlueMerchant Sun 17-Mar-19 13:40:09

Manchester tart
Tapioca
Milk Jelly
Friday fish&chips

avocadochocolate Sun 17-Mar-19 13:41:45

Nearly all of it was yum, especially the desserts.....ahhhh.....

Pink blamange with strawberry jelly
Semolina and chocolate sauce
Roast dinner
An amazing salad, which today's clean eaters would thoroughly approve of: grated carrot and beetroot, slices of boiled egg, peanuts, raisins, cucumber, watercress.

Lungelady Sun 17-Mar-19 13:44:08

I loved school dinners in the 60s. They were quite exotic compared to my mother's plain cooking.
I loved meatballs in a sort of tomato soup, winter coleslaw wirh dates and all the puddings

myidentitymycrisis Sun 17-Mar-19 13:45:19

home made bread pudding sprinkled with white sugar we used to be served at elevenses with a cup of tea.

DippyAvocado Sun 17-Mar-19 13:47:23

I am the only person I've ever met who liked spam fritters.

I made a cornflake tart the other day. There are loads of recipes online.

northernstars Sun 17-Mar-19 13:49:41

Ah pink custard. I just had to look up the recipe - it has raspberry blancmange powder in!

Gingerkittykat Sun 17-Mar-19 13:50:08

The first half of my primary school days were mostly slop, loads of chewy meat with a scoop of potatoes and soggy veg. I developed a life long fear of cabbage.

We got chips on Fridays but if your class was the last in the rota to go into the dining room you were out of luck.

I loved it when they changed to baked potatoes with filling and unlimited salad bar and filled rolls as well as some hot options.

eddiemairswife Sun 17-Mar-19 13:53:18

Well I go back to the 40s and 50s and they were pretty dire. Lumpy mash, cabbage stewed to death, custard where they stirred the skin in so you had bits of slimy skin to avoid, and of course the ghastly semolina. In fact , as a 5 year old, I can remember a teacher sitting by me when everyone had finished trying to feed me cold mashed potato.
I was so upset by it that eventually my mother let me come home for dinner. I had to cross a main road and get the bus by myself; my mother would be lynched by present-day mumsnetters! Not to mention the threat of bombs, doodlebugs and rockets.

Hotterthanahotthing Sun 17-Mar-19 13:54:04

As a child of the 6Os I remember meat that you could chew forever and it wouldn't break down.We had to eat everything so that meat sat in your cheek through the whole meal until you could get rid of it later.
Concrete shortbread that would have shot across the plate if not tethered by the custard .
No choice,eat everything Also had to eat in silence and the teachers ate at their own table.
The only meal we weren't forced to eat was pea soup,it was truly aweful and we were excused because the teachers couldn't eat it either

BobIsNotYourUncle Sun 17-Mar-19 13:55:33

Butterscotch tart.

Twotabbycats Sun 17-Mar-19 13:57:39

I pretty much only have one good school dinner memory... BUTTERSCOTCH TART!

Was delicious... almost made up for lumpy semolina and soggy cabbage 🤢

Twotabbycats Sun 17-Mar-19 13:58:21

Haha Bob we had the same thought at the same moment grin

Hotterthanahotthing Sun 17-Mar-19 13:59:07

Meatballs and dates in puddings!I would have liked your school Ours ran the 'meat',potatoes and overcooked veg.Puddings were a variety of milk pudding(we had these at home but with jam),sponge and custard,the aforementioned mentioned concrete shortbread.No tuck shop.

KarenOnCrack Sun 17-Mar-19 13:59:27

Wow Eddiemairswife ! I can affirm semolina was equally grim in the eighties though.

thatisnotanoption Sun 17-Mar-19 14:00:51

Apple crumble was always my favourite (and I still find it hard to resist!

BreconBeBuggered Sun 17-Mar-19 14:01:39

I lived in horror of being made to eat lumps and skin, so I wouldn't touch school custard or gravy. The meat was identifiable only from the accompaniments, but I don't remember thinking it was especially tough. The best thing was the school chips on Fridays, always super crispy and delicious. They went downhill when my secondary school moved to a canteen system with more choice, and they must have bought different catering products.
Oops. I don't appear to be saying that school dinners tasted nice at all.

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Sun 17-Mar-19 14:02:43

I used to love having a slice of chopped pork with chips and spaghetti hoops. The dinners in high school were a lot better and healthier.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »