Talk

Advanced search

To say that some things about old fashioned school dinners tasted nice?

(207 Posts)
malificent7 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:42:06

Ok..so admittedly they are mostly puddings but i will start with australian crunch and that cornflake, jam treacle flan thingy. I want the recipie!

cloudymelonade Sun 17-Mar-19 12:43:13

Yes! I love a school dinner pudding! Jam roly poly drowned in custard mmmm

HennyPennyHorror Sun 17-Mar-19 12:44:02

Well of course you're not. No idea what Australian Crunch was but we had this amazing cheese pie thing...it was out of this world. Can't replicate it no matter how many supposed "school cheese pie" recipes I try!

Puddings were also amazing. Square slice of sponge thing with either jam and custard or chocolate and a sort of chocolate custard. Sometimes...on rare occasions, we had pink custard!

greyspottedgoose Sun 17-Mar-19 12:46:43

I'm from the turkey twizzler era 😍 I loved rice pudding with the super sweet pink syrupy sauce, we used to mix it in and call it candy floss

OhTheRoses Sun 17-Mar-19 12:46:52

Pudding as custard fine but that always ran out and I was inavariably left with crusty apple pie or semolina.

The mince stew was nice. Not the spam fritters. Sadly my recollections are of lumpy mash with black bits and soggy cabbage.

I think my dislike stemmed from the fact we were supposed to be grateful for them.

SeaViewBliss Sun 17-Mar-19 12:49:21

We used to have a chicken cobbler which was almost certainly made from scrag end chicken mince but the gravy was so delicious.

Aph413 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:53:20

We used to have the most amazing Lancashire hotpot that I've never managed to make the same since.
Bit we also used to have pizza, it was thick and pillowy, used to be bought to the table in a tray where we'd cut and serve it. Fantastic. I'm craving it now

Justincase87 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:54:12

I remember have ravioli cheese and chips on a Friday, cornflake tart was amazing, and I buy the Quorn 'roast' when I want to replicate the weird tube of meat you got with a roast dinner

SheSnapsThenSheFarts Sun 17-Mar-19 12:56:49

Cornflake tart was my only good memory! Without the custard though which was, without exception, over thick and when poured it seemed to burst out of its skin. Was always poured from a pastel coloured metal jug too I seem to recall.....

longwayoff Sun 17-Mar-19 13:02:58

Ohhh lovely, a school dinners thread. Assorted sponge puds and custard. But also, lumpy mash and, the worst ever which still makes me feel ill, tinned tomatoes with watery poached white fish. Shudder. Cost me my whole lunch break and subsequent playtime for refusing to touch it.

ScreamingValenta Sun 17-Mar-19 13:03:23

I have fond memories of school ravioli. Never found anything like it since! They also did a lovely hot dog with onions - this was in the 80s before anyone had thought of making school dinners healthy.

ballsdeep Sun 17-Mar-19 13:04:40

Cake and custard

We used to have a snack bar (imagine that now!) with four sandwiches, a sugary biscuit and a desert! All topped off with a milkshake 🤣🤣

LaurieFairyCake Sun 17-Mar-19 13:04:40

Home made coleslaw and chips

Giant biscuits sandwiched with buttercream and jam - again, homemade

Semolina

Mememeplease Sun 17-Mar-19 13:05:11

We had a banana bread that was like no other banana bread I've tried since.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 17-Mar-19 13:07:45

Chocolate mint traybake

Binting Sun 17-Mar-19 13:08:21

I used to love my free school dinners (my mum wasn’t into cooking much). I especially liked the chocolate sponge and pink custard, not that it really tasted of anything, it was just warm and sweet. Our dinner ladies were mostly Irish and pretty good cooks, with the Irish mentality of making sure you had plenty of food.

IamFrauBlucher Sun 17-Mar-19 13:08:46

From the 70's school dinner era, my face was Manchester Tart.

ScreamingValenta Sun 17-Mar-19 13:08:50

We used to have a snack bar

We had a 'tuck shop' that sold nothing but crisps, fizzy drinks and chocolate bars. Amazingly, almost everyone in the school was quite thin!

IamFrauBlucher Sun 17-Mar-19 13:09:33

My fave. Although probably my face too, after eating it. 🤣🤣

KarenOnCrack Sun 17-Mar-19 13:10:21

Sponge cake with icing and hundreds and thousands. So very simple but looked forward to Friday lunchtimes for this pudding alone.

Worst = spam 🤢.

Iooselipssinkships Sun 17-Mar-19 13:11:01

Hot dog day was the BEST day. When you could smell them at break time the excitement went up ten fold.
The curries were lovely too.
And the jam roly poly
Apple crumble
Ice cream roll
I loved school food though
I love food.
Food.

longwayoff Sun 17-Mar-19 13:11:14

Giant biscuits! Had completely forgotten them. Ours were plain though to accompany fruit jelly and some odd ersatz cream that seemed to be made from margarine and sugar whipped together.

pineapplebryanbrown Sun 17-Mar-19 13:11:49

We had something called traffic lights for pudding. It was like shortbread with yed, yellow or green gloop on it, delicious! This was back when people approved of artificial flavourings and colours.

Also spam fritters!

chemenger Sun 17-Mar-19 13:13:22

We used to have amazing lentil soup with a cheese biscuit, delicious. Which makes me wonder why I’ve never made cheese biscuits for soup. Also great macaroni and cheese with beetroot and (because I’m Scottish) wonderful stovies that you could smell cooking all morning, served with oatcakes and (more) beetroot. I also liked the salads with grated carrots and swede and (you’ve guessed it) cubed beetroot.

EmmaGrundyForPM Sun 17-Mar-19 13:14:00

70s schoolkid here.

I used to really like Chocolate Concrete. I dont reallyike pudding gs now but I did find a recipe for it and made it a few years ago. Amazingly it tasted just as I remembered it but my DC refused to eat it!

Iwantacampervan Sun 17-Mar-19 13:14:15

I only remember the puddings - especially the sponge and flavoured custards, we had green mint custard as well as pink and chocolate. Rice pudding and semolina either with jam or chocolate sprinkles which we stirred in to make a muddy brown mess.
Anyone from Kent remember gypsy tart served with a portion of apple as it was so sweet and sticky? I saw gypsy tart (branded as Kentish gypsy tart) in Morrisons and it made me feel nostalgic as I now live 2 counties along the coast from Kent.

CushyButtercup Sun 17-Mar-19 13:23:35

The semolina and jam dilema. Did you mix it up to make it all a pretty shade of pink or have a spoonful with a little bit of jam and a little bit of semolina. Whichever I did I always wished I'd done the alternative.

shopaholics Sun 17-Mar-19 13:25:46

School roast dinners are what stand out to me. That cheap weird "beef" in super watery gravy and rock hard potatoes with steamed veg. I'm pregnant and craving it despite hating watery gravy and soggy veg usually 😂

ballsdeep Sun 17-Mar-19 13:26:05

I used to run the tuck shop 🤣 we had a cupboard full of boxes and boxes of crisps, chomps, curly wurlys and fizzy sweets.

leghairdontcare Sun 17-Mar-19 13:32:44

Lumpy mash served with an ice cream scoop - didn't bother me at the time but I wouldn't want it now.

Artic Roll for dessert though - can't beat it.

SingaSong12 Sun 17-Mar-19 13:35:36

Chocolate sponge cake with chocolate custard

Charley50 Sun 17-Mar-19 13:36:17

Oh god yes! I'll be back later to share!

MereDintofPandiculation Sun 17-Mar-19 13:36:38

Our school kitchen made 3 things really well, and each of them appeared only one day a term (or maybe it was one day a year?)
1. A sticky chocolatey crunchy thing that may have been Australian crunch. With never enough for seconds.
2. Battered fish
3. Chips
But because our headmistress had pretensions and really wanted to be running a public school, she would never allow fish and chips at the same meal (it was "common"). So it was fish and mashed potatoes; and sausages and chips.

BlueMerchant Sun 17-Mar-19 13:40:09

Manchester tart
Tapioca
Milk Jelly
Friday fish&chips

avocadochocolate Sun 17-Mar-19 13:41:45

Nearly all of it was yum, especially the desserts.....ahhhh.....

Pink blamange with strawberry jelly
Semolina and chocolate sauce
Roast dinner
An amazing salad, which today's clean eaters would thoroughly approve of: grated carrot and beetroot, slices of boiled egg, peanuts, raisins, cucumber, watercress.

Lungelady Sun 17-Mar-19 13:44:08

I loved school dinners in the 60s. They were quite exotic compared to my mother's plain cooking.
I loved meatballs in a sort of tomato soup, winter coleslaw wirh dates and all the puddings

myidentitymycrisis Sun 17-Mar-19 13:45:19

home made bread pudding sprinkled with white sugar we used to be served at elevenses with a cup of tea.

DippyAvocado Sun 17-Mar-19 13:47:23

I am the only person I've ever met who liked spam fritters.

I made a cornflake tart the other day. There are loads of recipes online.

northernstars Sun 17-Mar-19 13:49:41

Ah pink custard. I just had to look up the recipe - it has raspberry blancmange powder in!

Gingerkittykat Sun 17-Mar-19 13:50:08

The first half of my primary school days were mostly slop, loads of chewy meat with a scoop of potatoes and soggy veg. I developed a life long fear of cabbage.

We got chips on Fridays but if your class was the last in the rota to go into the dining room you were out of luck.

I loved it when they changed to baked potatoes with filling and unlimited salad bar and filled rolls as well as some hot options.

eddiemairswife Sun 17-Mar-19 13:53:18

Well I go back to the 40s and 50s and they were pretty dire. Lumpy mash, cabbage stewed to death, custard where they stirred the skin in so you had bits of slimy skin to avoid, and of course the ghastly semolina. In fact , as a 5 year old, I can remember a teacher sitting by me when everyone had finished trying to feed me cold mashed potato.
I was so upset by it that eventually my mother let me come home for dinner. I had to cross a main road and get the bus by myself; my mother would be lynched by present-day mumsnetters! Not to mention the threat of bombs, doodlebugs and rockets.

Hotterthanahotthing Sun 17-Mar-19 13:54:04

As a child of the 6Os I remember meat that you could chew forever and it wouldn't break down.We had to eat everything so that meat sat in your cheek through the whole meal until you could get rid of it later.
Concrete shortbread that would have shot across the plate if not tethered by the custard .
No choice,eat everything Also had to eat in silence and the teachers ate at their own table.
The only meal we weren't forced to eat was pea soup,it was truly aweful and we were excused because the teachers couldn't eat it either

BobIsNotYourUncle Sun 17-Mar-19 13:55:33

Butterscotch tart.

Twotabbycats Sun 17-Mar-19 13:57:39

I pretty much only have one good school dinner memory... BUTTERSCOTCH TART!

Was delicious... almost made up for lumpy semolina and soggy cabbage 🤢

Twotabbycats Sun 17-Mar-19 13:58:21

Haha Bob we had the same thought at the same moment grin

Hotterthanahotthing Sun 17-Mar-19 13:59:07

Meatballs and dates in puddings!I would have liked your school Ours ran the 'meat',potatoes and overcooked veg.Puddings were a variety of milk pudding(we had these at home but with jam),sponge and custard,the aforementioned mentioned concrete shortbread.No tuck shop.

KarenOnCrack Sun 17-Mar-19 13:59:27

Wow Eddiemairswife ! I can affirm semolina was equally grim in the eighties though.

thatisnotanoption Sun 17-Mar-19 14:00:51

Apple crumble was always my favourite (and I still find it hard to resist!

BreconBeBuggered Sun 17-Mar-19 14:01:39

I lived in horror of being made to eat lumps and skin, so I wouldn't touch school custard or gravy. The meat was identifiable only from the accompaniments, but I don't remember thinking it was especially tough. The best thing was the school chips on Fridays, always super crispy and delicious. They went downhill when my secondary school moved to a canteen system with more choice, and they must have bought different catering products.
Oops. I don't appear to be saying that school dinners tasted nice at all.

Chocolatecoffeeaddict Sun 17-Mar-19 14:02:43

I used to love having a slice of chopped pork with chips and spaghetti hoops. The dinners in high school were a lot better and healthier.

LondonJax Sun 17-Mar-19 14:02:57

My first secondary school has an amazing bunch of cooks in the kitchen. They used to do lasagne, vanilla custard with the proper pods stood in them in the that big vat thing they used to ladle from. Our senior cook even used to make her own tomato ketchup! Desserts used to have the kids continuously joining the end of the queues for more. Chocolate pudding with chocolate custard and jam sponge. Oh my word!

There is one lamb mince dish they used to make which used to have the kids queuing for 2nds and 3rds. To me, aged about 12, it had a 'foreign' name which I couldn't pronounce (but lasagne was foreign to me with the dishes my mum used to make!) I can still sort of taste it if I really try to remember. But can I remember the blooming name -not a chance! I know it wasn't moussaka as it didn't have aubergine with it - just a normal mince dish. The quest continues....

BobIsNotYourUncle Sun 17-Mar-19 14:07:34

Haha Bob we had the same thought at the same moment

grin My DC still get given it at school, I am so jealous!

CookieSwirlC Sun 17-Mar-19 14:10:37

Chocolate concrete and custard. Food of the gods.

We also had some delicious multicoloured jelly that wasn’t solid but more like pre chopped jelly all in little bits with fake sweet cream to signify each portion and chocolate sprinkles on the cream. Delicious!

SenecaFalls Sun 17-Mar-19 14:12:19

Ours baked their hamburger and hotdog buns in house. They were so good. They also did wonderful iced brownies. This was in the US quite a few years ago.

bluechameleon Sun 17-Mar-19 14:17:53

We occasionally had cream doughnuts for pudding. We used to have a challenge that whoever went longest without licking their lips got seconds.
The worst thing was semolina and rice pudding - I couldn't stand the smell and used to hide in the toilets to avoid having to eat any.
Also tinned tomatoes served warmish as a vegetable - revolting.

Lungelady Sun 17-Mar-19 14:20:31

Friday's were not good. Fish, mash and beetroot.
Manchester tart, Gipsy tart, pink custard.....Gorgeous. I love milk puddings too...sago, semolina.

Eliza9917 Sun 17-Mar-19 14:21:37

Our tuck shop/snack bar (only open at first break & lunch) used to do chip rolls for 25p, they were beautiful.

pineapplebryanbrown Sun 17-Mar-19 14:21:57

Tapioca was terrifying now I would love it. I used to love spam fritters now I'd be sick.

muddledmidget Sun 17-Mar-19 14:26:42

I loved school dinners at primary school while they were still cooked on the premises. Fish fingers, mash, peas and tinned tomatoes and pie with mash cabbage and carrots were my favourite mains and puddings were ginger cake with lemon syrup and sponge with jam and coconut

CookPassBabtridge Sun 17-Mar-19 14:28:43

God I loved school food (1990-1996) The pizza was amazing, the puddings and custard were just scrumptious. Not sure if it's rose tinted spectacles or what!

ifeellikeanidiot Sun 17-Mar-19 14:28:53

I loved the mash potato piped into swirls.

I changed primary school just as the one I was leaving starting serving microwave meals in individual plastic trays with the food all in separate sections. My new school had gorgeous home made pizza and big bowls of lovely salad like grated carrot which I loved.

From the tuck shop... those strange five p drinks in ridged containers with improbably thin straws.

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:30:02

The worst thing about semolina was it ruined the rice pudding. I bloody loved rice pudding.

iwantatattoo Sun 17-Mar-19 14:30:34

The cheese pie thing used to make me gag.

haverhill Sun 17-Mar-19 14:31:18

We had yogurt served from a big metal tureen and biscuits. It was gorgeous.
I liked most of the food to be honest. I was nearly always hungry.

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:34:15

However was first introduced to chocolate sponge with chocolate sauce as a pudding in the early 90s, never had had it at home. My suddenly PMT-suffering self was so grateful.

LarryGreysonsDoor Sun 17-Mar-19 14:35:19

odd ersatz cream that seemed to be made from margarine and sugar whipped together.

Oh I loved that. It had a slight saltiness too.
We used to have split hotdog buns with the not-cream in it with a squirt of raspberry sauce and a dusting of icing sugar.

UsedtobeFeckless Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:07

I loved everything that wasn't liver, spam fritters or cardboard flan! They used to do spam fritters and cardboard flan on the same day though - that was evil! Gooey sponge puds and custard, bread and butter pudding - mmmm!

blackteasplease Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:26

I used to love the semolina at primary school which most seem to hate.

Hated the rice pudding though. Has put me off all rice pudding. When I taste normal rice pudding I can tell it should be nice but the association puts me off!

Sunonthepatio Sun 17-Mar-19 14:39:57

I
Loved cheese pie and would love the recipe.

SenecaFalls Sun 17-Mar-19 14:41:46

ginger cake with lemon syrup

Oh yes. We had gingerbread with lemon sauce. One of my favorites. I just remembered another one, banana pudding, which is a trifle-like dessert particular to the southern US.

Also I remember good grilled cheese sandwiches. There was lots of surplus cheese from one of the US agriculture support programs, which they gave to schools.

yanboo Sun 17-Mar-19 14:42:09

I loved getting pink angel delight but it was always a heart stopper to ask for it as if you did you had to eat it all and it looked identical to a disgusting blancmange

LadyRochfordsDeletedGusset Sun 17-Mar-19 14:42:19

We could have swapped blacktea grin.

labazsisgoingmad Sun 17-Mar-19 14:52:23

egg salad with lots of beetroot that used to bleed into the eggs
weetabix with butter and jam partner thinks im weird but still love it now
semolina love milk puddings
a pie with baked beans mash and cheese on top still make it now quick and cheap

ShabbyAbby Sun 17-Mar-19 15:05:59

Spotted dick or treacle pudding or that chocolate cake with chocolate custard

Mmm custard

Grumpbum123 Sun 17-Mar-19 15:08:25

www.lavenderandlovage.com/recipe/be-ro-australian-crunchies

These taste the same

ShabbyAbby Sun 17-Mar-19 15:09:13

@Sunonthepatio

The smell of cheese pie meant I couldn't even enter the dinner hall. Just no blush

Gravy on cabbage though? With lots of salt and pepper? I still eat that now! Love it!

thebabessavedme Sun 17-Mar-19 15:12:13

70s kid here, I remember devonshire splits, delicious buns, cut in half filled with 'dream topping' and jam, yummy grin we were also given a cup of coffee after lunch hmm

Sunonthepatio Sun 17-Mar-19 15:17:18

@Shabbyabby, I was the same about that gruel thin custard 😩

mumwon Sun 17-Mar-19 15:20:33

loved semolina & red jam - hated braised liver!

Yabbers Sun 17-Mar-19 15:32:21

Square fish. Chocolate cracknel and custard.

sueelleker Sun 17-Mar-19 15:35:24

We got cakes for pudding once at primary school-the dinners used to be sent in, in large metal churns. One time the custard had ants in, and they sent out for cakes instead.

MitziK Sun 17-Mar-19 15:37:33

Gipsy Tart, the once a term block of mostly melted icecream, tinned peaches and the once a term roast potatoes.

Everything else was pretty much disgusting (the stew with beans in was vaguely palatable, even though, according to my mother, who was a dinnerlady at one point, it was largely soya mince,tinned carrot, tinned beans and gravy with lard melted in), but food at home wasn't much better (except for the salads) and probably contributed to my being pathetically underweight and malnourished for much of my childhood.

I do remember being very upset that a Muslim girl was given a big pile of grated cheese on a plate because there was usually pork or lard hidden somewhere in every recipe and I wasn't allowed to have the same because 'cheese is only for people whose religion says they can't eat meat'. Many lunchtimes were spent patiently waiting for the furious harridan that would smash spoons onto tables and scream for silence and smack ten year olds when nobody was looking to stop yelling at me about the Poor Starving Children in Africa and I was being given this food for free, so should be grateful for it - ironically, we weren't allowed to eat whilst a dinner lady was speaking to you, so it was in your interests to wind them up enough that she went on a long rant. That finally stopped around the time a new teacher started coming into the hall and saying I was needed for something and had to come immediately whether I had finished my lunch or not.

The best thing that happened in food terms for me was going to high school, as they made jacket potatoes and, if you were on free school meals, because they knew you weren't allowed to spend enough to get a potato, topping, salad and a 'pudding' (I seem to remember it being 76p a day at one point - potato (30p), topping (15p), salad (15p) sweet item (20p)), they would sneak a flapjack, apple or yoghurt to you underneath the tray.

Whilst you couldn't force me as a child, you couldn't pay me to eat today's school dinners - most of them provide part baked rolls with fillings, but don't actually bother to bake the rolls a second time before sticking a smear of tuna inside. And the 'chicken' drumsticks or wings don't look like any bird I've ever butchered.

On INSET days, it's compulsory to eat what is supplied as a unit and I have sat there for the entire time drinking water, even when being told I'm not demonstrating a team mindset. I don't give a flying fricassee, I'm not eating that shit even though you're forbidden to leave the premises to get something identifiable. I just scarf down something from home whilst ostensibly tidying/hiding in a large cupboard

WillGymForPizza Sun 17-Mar-19 15:41:44

The first thing I thought of when reading this thread was the hard block of chocolate cake with icing and hundreds and thousands, and steaming hot chocoalte custard poured over it.

AdaColeman Sun 17-Mar-19 15:42:45

Gypsy tart was a favourite at my school. They also did great liver and onions with thick gravy, and a good roast pork dinner too.
The Christmas dinner was always a huge hit, with singing dinner ladies and cheers & applause for any pregnant teachers!

BoswellsBollocks Sun 17-Mar-19 15:43:13

I loved school dinners!

Pies that always had perfect pastry and cheese and potato pie to die for. In seniors we’d put cheese and gravy over everything but it was bloody delicious.

I loved the dessert offering of a giant shortcake biscuit with a mini bottle of milk with a thin straw.

We could also get Jamborees at break time for 20p. A deep fried jam sandwich covered in sugar wrapped up in a green paper towel. They were amazing!

TheSassyAssassin Sun 17-Mar-19 15:53:58

@DippyAvocado I liked spam fritters too! smile Treacle tart and custard was a fave, as well as the huge bowl of pink yogurt with home-made biscuits to dunk in it. Wasn't too keen on the stews though which always seemed to be a mix of dried meat and slimey gristle <<<shudder>>> or the semolina. Occasionally got cheese and biscuits for pud and used to enjoy those. Then it would be out to the tuckshop for crisps and chocolate. Happy days wink

maddiemookins16mum Sun 17-Mar-19 16:07:12

Our School roast dinner was lovely, as were the sausages.
We always had fish on fridays, proper fish in batter with proper chips (this was the 70’s).
Oh and the puddings were all great (except the tapioca).

Poppy43 Sun 17-Mar-19 16:09:55

I loved the semolina. The pies were lovely at the school I went to.
In comp all of the food was delicious especially the hot dogs and the steamed treacle pudding. I've actually searched online to see who supplies the school with food but given the fact I left school at the late 90s they may have changed suppliers by now. I've tried to replicate cornflake cake, and some other cakes but they are just not the same.

areyoubeingserviced Sun 17-Mar-19 16:14:57

It was the done thing to complain about how awful school dinners were, but I loved them

SheWoreBlueVelvet Sun 17-Mar-19 16:15:16

Small rural primary in the 1970’s, The best thing ever was cinnamon rolls. Bloody amazing, as mostly you ever had cinnamon at Christmas or maybe in apple pie at home. Massive doughy buns were a rarity in the world of custard,semolina type puds.

Soontobe60 Sun 17-Mar-19 16:21:19

Yum yum! I loved rice pudding with burned skin, hot pot with suet crust, shepherds pie and red cabbage, cheese pie, sausage and mash, semolina, chicken curry (with pineapple and sultanas in it!)

Hated lamb stew because it had pearl barley, the only food that makes me gag, hated Manchester tart with its cold, wobbly, thick custard, hated jelly.

My school had about 50% Jewish pupils and when we had bacon hot pot, there was a bacon free option for them. My grandma was an assistant in the kitchens and told me once thatbthey used to make a huge pot of the hot pot, then split it in 2 serving trays and remove the bacon from one for the Jewish girls 😱😱😱 (this was in the 70s, and when a Ugandan Asian refugee started in my class she asked me if the girl had a tail!!!)

Serin Sun 17-Mar-19 16:31:15

Cheese pie and baked beans.
Blooming lovely.

marvellousnightforamooncup Sun 17-Mar-19 16:33:35

Fuzzy orange milk jelly with chocolate garnish or chocolate crunch and custard.

Bluesheep8 Sun 17-Mar-19 16:39:52

School child of the 80s here. My favourites were:
Minced beef cobbler
Meat and potato Pie
Fish pie
Macaroni cheese
Cheddar butteries
Quiche
Vegetable pie
ALL the puddings and coloured custard. Our school food was ACE.

BadlyAgedMemes Sun 17-Mar-19 16:43:18

We had generally very nice food, especially in our tiny countryside primary, where food was made on site (by a lady who knew my mother, so I had to be on my best behaviour), and any leftovers went to the pigs on a nearby farm. Secondary school food is more of a blur, as we self-served, and I tended to only ever have salad and bread.

Not in the UK, so different kinds of foods to what others are writing about. (I love these threads, though. They always set me off googling bits of British cuisine I'd never come across before!) Favourites with my class always seemed to be the hot dog and potato casserole, mince and potato casserole, and a chicken dish similar to a very mild curry, but not actually called a curry, with rice. We hardly ever had pudding, but when we did, I only remember it being pancake and jam, or an ice cream cone.

The only food we all detested was "dill meat", though. Some kind of red meat, stewed, with a weirdly glutinous, white and green sauce, served with boiled potatoes. I swear it put a few generations off dill altogether. (I wonder if the pigs liked it...)

sharksonmyswimsuit Sun 17-Mar-19 16:45:46

Did someone say cornflake tart?? It's a much requested favourite in this house and gets hoovered up mainly by me

TheSilveryHildaOgden Sun 17-Mar-19 16:48:22

At primary: Chocolate semolina. Suet pudding with golden syrup.And some Fridays we had sausages and chips, and could have seconds smile On the down side, watery cubed spinach, gristly meat, lumpy potatoes, pease pudding mostly consisting of undercooked yellow split peas like bullets.And the worst was trifle, I sat through playtime in tears, refusing to eat it.

At secondary. Excellent meat pie. But horrible gooseberry pie. Our 6th form review had to take the following song out of the show as teaching staff thought the kitchen staff might be offended.

"Gooseberry pie, gooseberry pie,
All we ever get is gooseberry pie.
Well it may be light and airy,
But it's also green and hairy,
Gooseberry pie, gooseberry pie!

TheSilveryHildaOgden Sun 17-Mar-19 16:49:19

Swede, not spinach - stupid tablet

muminmanchester Sun 17-Mar-19 16:55:11

I've never found a Manchester Tart as good as the one we had at school.

Also those big trays of cake with sickly sweet icing, you'd get a square of that cake with custard and it was incredible.

I suspect the reason they tasted so good was that they were made with nothing but sugar!!

kaitlinktm Sun 17-Mar-19 16:57:19

Did anyone else have chocolate pudding/cake with a minty green custard? We had this in the 60s and my son also did in the 90s but I have never been able to replicate it.

I loved nearly all the dinners we had in the 60s. Wasn't keen on tapioca but liked rice and semolina puds. We weren't allowed to have a tuck shop in our all girls secondary school. sad

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »