Talk

Advanced search

4 year old DD has given herself a haircut

(51 Posts)
zunshine Sun 17-Mar-19 11:54:12

And I'm really upset about it, more upset than I probably should be. She has gorgeous curly hair and she's never had a proper haircut, a few trims, it just about reaches her shoulders how it naturally rests but when the curls are stretched out it's a fair bit down her back. Well it was, now she's barely got an inch of hair on top and maybe a little bit more on one side. The other side and the back were left alone as I caught her before she could get to the rest. Funny thing is she was on about wanting longer hair yesterday. Not sure what to do about it really, I should probably just take her to get the rest of as much as I don't want to, she has nursery tomorrow though and the hairdressers won't be open today

NorthernBirdAtHeart Sun 17-Mar-19 11:56:21

Sorry, what is your ‘am I being unreasonable’ question?

Of course you take her to the hairdresser to get it sorted out. And you hide the scissors...

Hollowvictory Sun 17-Mar-19 11:57:45

Doesn't matter it grows back

ScarlettDarling Sun 17-Mar-19 11:58:27

Oh no, I'd be really upset too. What a shame. Loads of little ones do it though. I teach in Reception and have had so many children giving themselves a trim. One little girl cut herself a fringe! I'm sorry op. It's only hair, it will grow back, but still sad to see those lovely curls chopped off.

speakout Sun 17-Mar-19 12:02:26

It's a right of passage OP.

Hair grows.

Now having a 15 year old coming back with a tattoo......

daisypond Sun 17-Mar-19 12:03:34

Can’t you cut it yourself to even it out? I only ever took mine once to the hairdresser, more for the experience than anything else, and the cut was wonky. I’ve cut their hair myself ever since and they’re in their late teens now.

gamerwidow Sun 17-Mar-19 12:05:09

Most children do this at some point. Dd cut a lump out of the middle of her fringe the day before she started school so she spent the first term with a section of fringe that was millimetres long.
Hide the scissors and get it neatened up. It’s jot the end of the world.

YouBoggleMyMind Sun 17-Mar-19 12:06:02

I did this too. My Mum was heartbroken!

WorraLiberty Sun 17-Mar-19 12:07:11

I did it to my sister's doll because I thought it'd grow back blush grin

sunshineandshowers21 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:11:12

my five year old boy did this a few weeks ago at school, resulting in bald patches behind his ears and his teacher banning the use of scissors for the whole class 🙈 luckily my friend is a barber and managed to give him peaky blinder-esque haircut that fixed it.

FlaviaAlbia Sun 17-Mar-19 12:13:42

Oh no, at least she didn't cut herself I suppose! Is she upset herself?
Could you do a undercut/ combover style thing to cover the very short bits?

bookmum08 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:14:29

It will grow back.
But she needs to know this was naughty and can't use scissors on her own for a while including at school/nursery - you will have to tell her teachers what happened (their first words to you on Monday will be "omg what happened?" - maybe go in ten minutes early!).

adaline Sun 17-Mar-19 12:15:24

Doesn't everyone do that?!

I remember cutting my fringe when I was about five, and totally denying it when my dad asked me, even though I had the scissors in my hand at the time grin

OwlBeThere Sun 17-Mar-19 12:16:11

Ah it’s a bit of a right of psssage kids giving themselves a haircut! My son did it the day before school photos he chopped the front of it off to the scalp. I had to buzz it off totally and he looked like a tiny little ‘this is England’ extra. It was awful. I see the funny side now but at the time I was appalled!

GeistohneGrenzen Sun 17-Mar-19 12:17:47

Kids have been doing this for ever! My father was away in the war (we won't say which war) and wrote home about a photo he'd been sent, saying he preferred my hair short instead of in two plaits. I was four. Mum came up after I was asleep to find I'd hacked off one of my plaits, because I'd thought I would please both of them. I remember being hustled off next morning to have it cut properly. I don't remember being scolded at all - just remember my mum waking me up so astonished at what I'd done!! grin

OwlBeThere Sun 17-Mar-19 12:17:48

Can you get away with a funky side shave? Or is it all of the top?

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 17-Mar-19 12:19:50

DD2 cut all the front of her hair off in reception. She the panicked and told me a boy in her class had dragged her into the cloakroom and forcibly cut her hair.

Yep I went up the school all guns blazing and demanded this poor kid be hauled over the coals.

I had to creep in the next day and apologise after DD broke down under questioning and fessed up.

QuirkyQuark Sun 17-Mar-19 12:20:50

All of my children have done that when little. I think I was more concerned with the fact they'd been climbing to get to the scissors.

Does she now understand that what she did wasn't really acceptable?

Take her to a hairdresser and get them to make the best of the situation. The only consolation is that it will grow back.

StephsCaddy Sun 17-Mar-19 12:21:35

Hasn’t ever child given themselves a shite hair cut at some point?

TonTonMacoute Sun 17-Mar-19 12:21:57

I remember doing exactly this, at almost the same age in fact.

DCs do these crazy things, just be thankful it wasn't anything worse!

zunshine Sun 17-Mar-19 12:22:18

Scissors aren't usually within reach but I had some in my room that I'd been using and she managed to find them. She is very upset too and doesn't want to have the rest cut off. I have done trims before but i'm not sure I want to risk giving her a haircut myself and possibly making it worse

rwalker Sun 17-Mar-19 12:23:46

Get on Facebook and put a mercy called out someone will know someone . Failing that from what you say it will just be a case of straightening it up go to a turkish barber bound to be one of them open today

feltcarrot Sun 17-Mar-19 12:25:56

My DB at 5yo cut not only a one inch chunk out of his already short fringe, but also his eyelashes!! He has really long lashes that touched his glasses, my dad was staring at him for ages before realising what he had done, obviously they were more concerned that he could have damaged his eyes. His lashes grew back longer!!

SlinkyDinkyDoo Sun 17-Mar-19 12:26:59

I applaud her dexterity. Mine couldn't use scissors properly until at least age 7!

Jaxhog Sun 17-Mar-19 12:27:12

It will grow out.

At 4, I gave my 2 year old sister a short haircut. On one side. My DM still talks about it more than 50 years later!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »