Talk

Advanced search

Why do men need to take a device to the bathroom?!

(62 Posts)
BumbleBee27 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:42:13

Is it just my oh who can't possibly go for a crap without taking his iPad with him?! I'm led to believe this is a 'man thing' and many of my friends partners need some sort of entertainment while on the loo. For me it's a get in and out ASAP scenario not an opportunity for relaxation.

He can be in there for ages! Wonder what he's looking it hmm anyone else?

Samind Sun 17-Mar-19 11:44:52

I sometimes get a phonecall from DP in the bath 😂😂 obviously if there's something interesting on the TV, I don't see the phone 😏 he usually listens to podcasts or browses shit online. Will get the odd link sent to me but most times nothing.

Limensoda Sun 17-Mar-19 11:48:52

Men don't need to.
Idiots do.

Boom76 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:53:44

It’s not just a man thing

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 17-Mar-19 11:54:56

Yours does - neither DH nor any of my Ds's do .

KarenOnCrack Sun 17-Mar-19 11:55:59

To wank?

Userplusnumbers Sun 17-Mar-19 11:57:01

Everyone likes a bit of reading material don't they?

PregnantSea Sun 17-Mar-19 11:57:48

I take my phone in with me when I poop, but only if I'm in the middle of looking at something. I wouldn't go and find my phone just so I could take it into the toilet with me

BumbleBee27 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:58:02

@KarenOnCrack oooh could be, saves me a job if so!

Yeah I never got the thing about taking a newspaper in there either, just doesn't strike me as a good place to chill 😂

girlywhirly Sun 17-Mar-19 12:00:04

Before devices, it used to be the newspaper/crossword. It does make me wonder what is wrong with their digestive systems if it takes half an hour to poo. And the amount of bacteria that must accumulate on their screens is unbelievable, especially from the non-handwashers.

Mainly I think men see it as an opportunity to disappear for time out, or shirking jobs because no-one would question their need to use the toilet.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Sun 17-Mar-19 12:00:15

To practice multi tasking?!

itsboiledeggsagain Sun 17-Mar-19 12:01:28

I do this.

adaline Sun 17-Mar-19 12:02:20

Meh, I do this. I also take my phone in the bath.

I'm normally reading MN or playing Words with Friends!

wafflyversatile Sun 17-Mar-19 12:03:25

Same reason women do.

busybarbara Sun 17-Mar-19 12:03:39

This is not a gendered thing. Some people spend time on the toilet, some don't. Men have stereotypically been the ones carrying a newspaper under their arm to enjoy while in the toilet, however.

justasking111 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:03:55

OH still has a couple of magazine subscriptions for his hobbies. He reads those. No wonder men get piles.

ThePlaceToVent Sun 17-Mar-19 12:05:55

MY “D” H just went for an extended loo trip and ate a plate of toast at the same time envy not envy.

MeAgainAgain Sun 17-Mar-19 12:06:14

They used to take books.

It's because they take so long to shit.

Real question is why is that.

My guess is inferior pushing muscles.

Has this ever been studied? It's a definite phenomenon. When women can't do something as 'well' as men it's studied to death!

reallybadidea Sun 17-Mar-19 12:07:30

I'm on the toilet at the moment, so not just men. I'm having a break from work, so doing two things at once smile

wafflyversatile Sun 17-Mar-19 12:07:38

Before I would take a book or be reduced to reading the backs of Shampoo bottles.

Now that I have a phone I struggle to spell long chemical names like cocamydopropyl something something betaine...

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 17-Mar-19 12:07:56

Yep its hardly a new thing its like people asking what people did on tje tube before tablets and phones.

NEWSPAPERS.

I suspect its a large reason newspaper sales are dwindling however. People do take there tablets to tje loo or on the tube rather than papers/magazines

KarenOnCrack Sun 17-Mar-19 12:08:49

Reminds me weirdly of ex-in-laws, they had shelves in the loo of dusty ancient Readers' Digest. Just those, nothing else.

NaughtToThreeSadOnions Sun 17-Mar-19 12:10:43

MY “D” H just went for an extended loo trip and ate a plate of toast at the same time

No no no LTB 🤢even 🤮 tbh

Food and bathrooms do not mix

See why do women like wine and dinner in the bath?

Topseyt Sun 17-Mar-19 12:11:17

Not just men, I'm afraid. I sometimes take my phone or a book when I go to the toilet.

Nothing wrong with it.

Jasmineallenestate Sun 17-Mar-19 12:13:48

I haven't been to the toilet without a book or magazine since I was about 7. I remember getying stuck without a book and havimg to read the back of the shampoo bottles!

By the way, I dont really like being called an idiot. I read all the time, anythong and everything. This is a stupid sexist thread with awfully rude posters.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »