Talk

Advanced search

To ask whether cutlery should be loaded into a dishwasher handles

(19 Posts)
Izzy24 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:22:53

Up or down?

(Lighthearted......ish!)

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 17-Mar-19 11:24:11

How would you load a fork or spoon with the head facing downwards? they wouldnt fit in the slots

Aph413 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:07

I always go handle down except for sharp knifes

DiscoZebra Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:11

Down definitely!

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:14

Handle down or they don't get clean

Henrysmycat Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:21

Only the knives to avoid cutting yourself when you load or unload. It happened, I’ve seen it.

StrawberrySquash Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:28

Up unless it's a sharp knife, which I would hand-wash anyway. Only really matters for spoons as the water pools in the bowl of the spoon otherwise and it dries ugly.

ApolloandDaphne Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:47

Knives i load handle up. Forks and spoons need to be handle down so they fit in the holes.

AlpacaLypse Sun 17-Mar-19 11:25:52

Anyway that floats your boat. But sharp knives should be loaded point downwards. There have been nasty accidents.

PlainSpeakingStraightTalking Sun 17-Mar-19 11:26:12

EXPLORE

We use cookies to make wikiHow great. By using our site, you agree to our cookie policy.Okay

How to Load a Dishwasher
Co-authored by Melissa Maker

Loading a dishwasher is not difficult, but loading it properly can help your dishes come out cleaner. It can also save energy and time.

www.wikihow.life/Load-a-Dishwasher

Load the cutlery basket handle-down, separating pieces as much as possible. Place knives, forks and spoons in the cutlery basket, handle down. In general, dangerous or sharp knives should be washed by hand, as they dull in the dishwasher. Any wood handled or wood utensils should not go in the dishwasher.
Distribute the cutlery loosely, and position the soiled surfaces of the spoons and forks apart so that the water can reach them. Separation is key.
Long pieces of cutlery can block the spray from tubes, nozzles and rotating devices. These items should be laid down in the upper basket.
Lay larger serving utensils in the top section of the dishwasher. Arrange serving spoons with the bowl facing down so that water does not collect in them.

StrawberrySquash Sun 17-Mar-19 11:26:31

Sorry I What I'd call up is tines /bowls/blades up. So handles down.

Chesneyhawkes1 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:33:41

I always did handles up. My DH handles down.

We dishwasher has a little pull out tray at the top and they have to go in laying on their side. So problem solved!

Happynow001 Sun 17-Mar-19 11:41:27

Handles down except for sharp knives which went in handles up if I couldn't be bothered to wash them by hand. All the same type put in together (eg all forks together) to make for quick unloading and putting in the right section of the cutlery drawer.

Celebelly Sun 17-Mar-19 11:46:21

Ours has a cutlery drawer so we don't have to argue over this dilemma! grin

Izzy24 Sun 17-Mar-19 12:22:10

I need a cutlery drawer clearly smile

FloatingthroughSpace Sun 17-Mar-19 12:29:34

I put knives down and other cutlery up, ever since that story about the 4 year old who died when they tripped over the open dishwasher door and were stabbed by a knife that was sticking up.

olivo Sun 17-Mar-19 12:34:42

Handles up. Hate touching the messy bits and have never found a way to drop them in handle first confused. plus, how do you get them out wi5out touching the spooky or forky bit if the handle is underneath?

TonTonMacoute Sun 17-Mar-19 12:41:09

We also now have a cutlery tray but before that handles down.

You also have to mix them up, so the spoons don't 'spoon' and don't get properly clean.

Squigglesworth Sun 17-Mar-19 13:07:59

Handles down. I always wash sharp knives by hand. And definitely alternate spoons and forks.

There's a definite science to how I load the dishwasher, to get the most out of the load and to make sure things come out clean and as dry as possible. My husband, though he possesses many other admirable qualities, doesn't understand the Ways of the Dishwasher, so if he's tried to help by loading it, I usually end up having to rearrange things into their proper order. This is not "OCD" or controlling behavior, obviously, and yes there is a right way and wrong way to load a dishwasher. wink

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »