Talk

Advanced search

Quick question for mums of twins - present dilemma!

(35 Posts)
StopLazyJournosCopyingContent Sun 17-Mar-19 08:19:41

My 5 year old is going to the birthday party of a pair of identical twins later on today. Last minute as always, I am rushing out to buy a present first!

Which would be better, a present each so that they aren’t being treated the same/having to share, or a bigger/nicer present for both of them so that there’s less stuff/fewer toys for their parents to deal with?

Thanks for your ideas!

KatnissMellark Sun 17-Mar-19 08:20:31

Present each

Freshprincess Sun 17-Mar-19 08:20:54

Present each.

TeddyIsaHe Sun 17-Mar-19 08:20:54

Present each definitely. Imagine not only sharing your birthday, but then having to share your presents as well!

HateWarts Sun 17-Mar-19 08:21:20

A present each, twins are individuals. Some hate being forced to have the same gifts as their twin, even if they’re 5

obviouslymarvellous Sun 17-Mar-19 08:22:08

As a mum of twins I honestly wouldn't mind a shared present. Like a game they could play together or something in that vain! Clothes are always a good one too x

obviouslymarvellous Sun 17-Mar-19 08:22:49

Mine wouldn't object to sharing a game either.

SnugglySnerd Sun 17-Mar-19 08:23:22

Present each.

NoNoNoOohmaybe Sun 17-Mar-19 08:24:22

Present each unless it's done thing like a game they can play together. Mine would like that but they do play together a lot so might not be the same for everyone.

Also I know a lot of people give 2 of the same item to twins but personally I'm not as keen on that, if they have the same interests then I'd do coordinating like 2 different paw patrol characters or whatever.

TiredTodayZzzz Sun 17-Mar-19 08:27:10

My daughter's friends are twins and I always buy them a card each to suit their personalities (they're like chalk and cheese) and put money in each. I have to admit if they weren't close friends I'd have probably just done a shared card and money.

MontStMichel Sun 17-Mar-19 09:18:01

Present each! A shared present was a recipe for WW3 for several weeks as they snatched it off each other!

Rootvegetables Sun 17-Mar-19 09:20:26

I don't think I'd mind either actually but I think a present each is the best for school friends.

imsorryiasked Sun 17-Mar-19 09:25:32

Present each unless it was a set of books.

YoureAMeanOneMrGrinch Sun 17-Mar-19 09:26:29

As a twin, I'll say present each.

I remember getting joint presents quite often, and joint cards, but they can still only be enjoyed one person at a time.

RedSchoolBlueSchool Sun 17-Mar-19 09:26:48

present each please! they are two separate people.

Only exception is if you get them a game which would therefore be played together - hungry hippos/pop up pirate etc?

Ithinkmycatisevil Sun 17-Mar-19 09:31:03

I used to do a present each with the twins we knew when dd1 was little. It was a bit annoying though when it came to her birthday and their mum would buy one present from both of them. As previously mentioned they are two people, they should get a present each, but also give a present each.

catchyjem Sun 17-Mar-19 09:40:05

Definitely get a present each. Im a mum of twins. I also make sure we take a present from each twin when they are invited to parties.

CurlyMango Sun 17-Mar-19 20:51:55

Each please, even if only a bar of chocolate, they are separate people. Sharing a birthday can be bad enough. Would you like to share your gift......

Findingthingstough18 Sun 17-Mar-19 20:54:56

I used to do a present each with the twins we knew when dd1 was little. It was a bit annoying though when it came to her birthday and their mum would buy one present from both of them. As previously mentioned they are two people, they should get a present each, but also give a present each.

But you knew that the mum was actually buying the presents - it's not like the young twins were earning their own money and spending it on their pals - so it seems a bit mean to say that because she had twins she had to spend twice as much on every other child as all the other parents.

blackteasplease Sun 17-Mar-19 20:56:17

I have in the past bought both a joint present and a smaller individual present for identical twins I know well.

ToffeePennie Sun 17-Mar-19 20:59:35

A present each, unless it’s something they can share like frustration, junior monopoly, pop up Olaf.

NoooorthonerMum Sun 17-Mar-19 21:00:50

When I was in this situation I did a present each. Their mum said they liked unicorns so I got them slightly different but similar unicorn gifts.

Smileymoon Sun 17-Mar-19 21:06:13

Ha ha at all the mum's asking for two presents for one party.

I tend to go for 2 smaller presents when buying for twins but am just as pleased with a shared present for my two or one smaller one each. Any present is a nice gesture and not an expectation.

Flowersintheatticconversion Sun 17-Mar-19 21:08:53

I would buy a present each but with a smaller budget per gift

Dutchesss Sun 17-Mar-19 21:09:14

If both my children are invited to a party, I give one present from both, they're not twins either. Why would you want them to give a present each?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »