Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if apprenticeships are a decent alternative?

(35 Posts)
HateWarts Sun 17-Mar-19 07:40:48

Just that really.
Wnat have you been your or your children’s experience of them?

LoopyLu2019 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:46:04

Yes. My DP did one in Mechanical Engineering to get his degree a couple of years ago and we have quite a few at my work now. I think they are a great way for gaining skills especially for people who aren't bothered by the uni experience. I wish I'd done one because I hated the uni studying life. At DP's work it puts a lot of them in a stable financial position that they're now all buying houses in the SE! It makes people so much more employable than just having a degree.

Mydressinggownismybestfriend Sun 17-Mar-19 07:48:16

I think they are very much the way forward for a lot of people. How many graduates are leaving uni with no job?

comfysocks8516 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:48:49

There are some great apprenticeships out there - some even put you through a degree course while paying you. So many people still think uni is the way forward but really it depends on what you want to do for a career

OddCat Sun 17-Mar-19 07:49:08

My dd and a few of her friends have done an apprenticeship- dd was ok because the company she was with was supportive but some of her friends have had trouble with being given time to do their assignments.

I think some companies just use the apprentice as cheap labour.

comfysocks8516 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:49:16

Os the ONLY way forward I mean

Asdf12345 Sun 17-Mar-19 07:49:39

Some are fantastic opportunities some are a con. Just like degrees really.

A management drone at work was asking for ideas of roles that could be replaced with apprenticeships because it’s cheaper to keep replacing an apprentice than employ someone permanently. A colleagues husband on the other hand got an apprenticeship on £35k after leaving the army and was on £60k within three years.

QuirkyQuark Sun 17-Mar-19 07:51:24

My daughter is at uni but I'm hoping my son does an apprenticeship. He's not academic and needs to aim for future employment in a mainly hands on way.

HateWarts Sun 17-Mar-19 07:57:32

How can you tell a good apprenticeship from a bad one?

Worriedwart18 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:04:01

My sister (living in London) went to a high school and hated A Levels and decided to go to a music and arts college instead. After 2 years there she managed to get an apprenticeship at MTV. Money was too bad (bringing home just under a grand) and she had the time of her life! Their office parties are amazing shock. She now works for a music magazine but she's doing great and better for her to get "the experience" everyone asks for at an early age then wait to long and not be able to afford to take apprenticeship money. Better than college IMO.

weaselwords Sun 17-Mar-19 08:07:55

It seems to depend on the company that host the apprenticeship as to how good they are. My son is doing one in programming and started after his A levels. He only got one (A*!) and flunked the others so would have had to resit or do an access course to go to university and didn’t fancy the debt. He got dumped with no explanation by one company when he first started. They were a start up and very disorganised. He’s moved to a much bigger and more organised company and is thriving and has moved onto thedegree program now. He’s hard working but slightly dyspraxic and has needed time so this slower pace has really suited him. Plus he loves money and nearly has the deposit saved for a house at 21 instead of £45k debt which was the clincher for him.

Shortandsweet96 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:09:57

I did an apprenticeship in Dental Nursing.
I couldn't fault it. It's a job that just cant be done with theory alone. You need to be in a surgery learning how to physically so the job or you just wouldnt get on with it. I think apprenticeships are the way forward, definitely.

gotin2amess Sun 17-Mar-19 08:43:40

My son had to leave school early, before taking formal qualifications (family crisis and anxiety related). Now he is ready to make a start, his options are: go to college (get qualifications, but no pay), get an unskilled job (get pay but no qualifications) or find an intermediate apprenticeship (get qualifications/training and pay).

He is also considering traineeships which are like pre-apprenticeship schemes that give the provider and the client a chance to settle in and/or evaluate the opportunity before committing to a long apprenticeship.

bestbefore Sun 17-Mar-19 08:49:03

Anyone with experience of apprenticeship at 16 - post GCSEs? We have applied for one for my DC but I am concerned as it seems so young these days - for my child anyway - and the loss of those carefree school holidays seems a bit sad - I had another 5 years of that life at 16! However the one we have seen is a great opportunity and exactly the subject she wants to look at (for now at least!)

OpportunityKnocks Sun 17-Mar-19 08:56:38

What field are you thinking of?
It will depend on the field and the company themselves.
You'll need to find out the length of the apprenticeship, how many days at college, what the college is like, what the next steps would be career wise, what they'll be doing day to day etc. Some apprenticeships are accredited too which will be a quality assurance.

Engineering apprenticeships are very good and well respected within the Industry leading to life long careers and great earning potential. That's all I have experience of though smile

Lightsabre Sun 17-Mar-19 09:16:28

We went to the Big Bang Science Fair at the NEC this week. There are so many STEM companies looking for apprentices from post 16 up to degree apprenticeships. We spoke to lots of 18-25 year olds from varying backgrounds and with different educational levels. There seems to be something for everyone. I've been quite single minded about degree then job but this has opened up my mind to other possibilities. Off the top of my head companies offering apprenticeships were Siemens, BAE, GCHQ, RAF etc

Lightsabre Sun 17-Mar-19 09:17:08

...and the BBC, National crime agency.

00100001 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:21:27

Look up degree apprenticeships

You get paid, the degree is free and at the end if it all, you'll have a good degree (degree apprentices get higher grades), no debt, 3-4 years experience, a level 6 apprenticeship and will either have a job for the next few years, or be very employable.

PaintBySticker Sun 17-Mar-19 09:32:44

I work for an organisation which offers a lot of apprenticeships in all sorts of roles from quantity surveying to software engineering to HR. We have apprenticeships from level 3 (a level equivalent) to level 6 (bachelor degree equivalent) and planning for some level 7 (post grad equivalent).

We’re a well respected well known organisation and our apprenticeships are good quality. I do think they’re a real alternative to full time academic study.

PaintBySticker Sun 17-Mar-19 09:34:11

Apprenticeships have to be 20% study time out of the job but this can be in blocks or one day a week throughout. Depends on the apprenticeship.

PinkiOcelot Sun 17-Mar-19 09:38:29

I am all for apprenticeships. My daughter is in her 2nd year of a 4 year software engineering apprenticeship. She is doing a degree paid for by the company as well as being on a really good salary. Way above the usual apprenticeship wage.
Definitely the way forward.

bruffin Sun 17-Mar-19 09:55:32

I know a few of dc friends who are doing/have done apprenticeships and all seem to be doing well, from small companies to large corps.

anyone with experience of apprenticeship at 16 - post GCSEs? We have applied for one for my DC but I am concerned as it seems so young these days - for my child anyway - and the loss of those carefree school holidays seems a bit sad - I had another 5 years of that life at 16! However the one we have seen is a great opportunity and exactly the subject she wants to look at (for now at least!)

DH was 15 when he started his apprenticeship back in the 70s,(aug baby) and I started work at 16, not sure why you think its a loss of carefree days. Its carefree days with money and actually being able to afford to do stuff you want to do.

Like PinkOcelot my ds (tried uni but wasnt for him) was taken on not as an apprentice but they will probably change his job to an apprenticeship as he needs a lot of training, think they are just waiting to find a good training provider and is paid far more than the normal apprenticeship wages.

DD looked at apprenticeship for her chosen profession but they are still in the very early days so has gone to uni.

CostanzaG Sun 17-Mar-19 10:00:00

How many graduates are leaving uni with no job?
Not many. The graduate labour market is very healthy.

Apprenticeships are a good option for some people....but only if someone has a very clear idea about what they want to do.
Degree apprenticeships are great options but bear in mind they are employer led. You apply to an organisation and they decide if they will put you though an apprenticeship and they also decide where you will study as they will have a partnership with a particular university and course.

Allergictoironing Sun 17-Mar-19 10:01:29

My local council do apprenticeships in administration, and most of their (non-apprenticeship) admin vacancies end up going to the previous year's apprentices. Win/win for all, as the staff get good training & qualifications at the end of the year/2 years and often a job, and the Council get staff they have tried out & have trained into their methods & practices.

OddCat Sun 17-Mar-19 10:17:25

@bestbefore my dd was 16 and did her Apprenticeship straight after GCSE's, she did miss the holidays but the money made up for it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: