Talk

Advanced search

To expect some TV time with DH?

(73 Posts)
MidwifeyForLifey Sat 16-Mar-19 23:19:34

Arghh! It's so annoying.

DH is a religious soup watcher and never misses his Coronation Street, EastEnders or Emmerdale.

They're on every weekday evening, without fail. Meaning, a lot of what I'd like to watch with him just goes out the window.

I never really watch telly. Or watch anything. I'm too busy making sure my house is spic and span, relaxing in a bath, reading, studying, seeing to DC.

But I watched an ITV drama called Cheat the other day and I really enjoyed it! The ending was rubbish. I would really like for DH to enjoy these type of British dramas with me that have a few parts to the series on them. But it never happens.

He isn't keen, is not interested one bit in any of it. He's tried, doesn't like that sort of thing. Which is fair enough.

I feel somewhat jealous. My dad watches these sort of programmes with my mum and you could hear a pin drop, he's fab. He also likes Game of Thrones, which again, DH won't tolerate. I've read all the books but not seen the episodes.

Does anyone have a DH that won't actually 'watch' something with them?

StickyShoess Sat 16-Mar-19 23:22:47

So he gets to monopolise the tv all night, refuses to let you watch anything you want and you fill the time by cleaning the house?? 🤔

MegaBat Sat 16-Mar-19 23:25:31

I don't wish to be sexist but I've never met a man who religiously watches all the soaps

Anyway. Selfish.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 16-Mar-19 23:27:54

Hmm... does he let you watch the things you like?

I'm awful at watching stuff. I make an effort for DP most of the time but sometimes I read or play with my phone to keep my attention. I don't think he minds too much but he'd rather he could get me as interested as he is...

Is there a middle ground? Something between soaps
and ITV dramas that you could both try?

I'd not be happy if he wasn't letting you watch things you wanted to watch though. I watch plenty of rubbish that DP wouldn't usually entertain and he's fab about it.

Winterfellismyhome Sat 16-Mar-19 23:27:55

Can he not record them and watch them another time whilst you watch something together?

KeptTheBeachesShipwreckFree Sat 16-Mar-19 23:31:16

What'd happen if you just put those programmes on the telly and watched them anyway? If he talks all the way through or tells you to turn them over then do the same to his shows. Failing that, get sky multiroom.

In our house we don't share any TV interests really but tend to sit through each other's choices and talk anyway. I certainly don't feel the need to clean the house while he's hogging the box! That's madness!

WhenISnappedAndFarted Sat 16-Mar-19 23:32:07

Have you tried watching soaps with him?

If he's not interested in what you watch then he's not interested, I was wondering if you'd taken an interest in what he watches?

RubaiyatOfAnyone Sat 16-Mar-19 23:49:45

Seven comments in and NO one has made a crack yet about religious soup watchers?
You’re all fired...

Handay Sat 16-Mar-19 23:51:54

Stop stirring. smile

sweeneytoddsrazor Sat 16-Mar-19 23:54:17

Well surely the soaps are all over by 8:30 or 9:00 which is around the time of the programmes that you like start?

sweeneytoddsrazor Sat 16-Mar-19 23:56:44

My favourite religous soup is Ministerone grin

SleepingStandingUp Sun 17-Mar-19 00:16:40

So he sits on his arse fro two hours every night watching religious soup whilst you clean and attend to the kids??

I think that's a bigger issue than telly compatability.

I'd hide the remote controls and deny knowledge.

DH and I watch the shows that he and I both like. Walking Dead and a few ""Comedian's"" get recorded for when I'm not there. Aussie soaps and medical series get recorded for when he's not there.

Can you find something that isn't Soaps or British Drama to compromise or put a movie on?

SparkiePolastri Sun 17-Mar-19 00:19:59

* I don't wish to be sexist but I've never met a man who religiously watches all the soaps*

This.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg of what's wrong with this.

Walkingdeadfangirl Sun 17-Mar-19 01:30:52

Why dont you watch the soaps with him? Or get a second TV?

Gardai Sun 17-Mar-19 06:21:59

I hope this isn’t real.
So your partner watches soaps every night and you’re complaining you don’t watch telly together like your mum and dad ? Well I hate to break the news but a good relationship isn’t built on mutual telly watching, I believe talking is a ‘thing’.
All those soaps ffs, perhaps he doesn’t want you near him ?

Dontgiveamonkeys1350 Sun 17-Mar-19 06:28:52

My husband and I have different tastes. But after fixing our marriage a year ago. We decided one of the things we should do more of together believe it or not is watch the same programs together.

Made a huge difference for us. We do spend a while choosing them as I said we have different tastes. But we talk about them after. We look forward to the next episodes together. Made a big difference.

He still watches his stuff. He saves all his programs for a Friday night. He has wine and snacks and binge watches them. He loves it. And gives us time together other nights. I have an early night ( much needed ) works great.

peasando Sun 17-Mar-19 06:35:12

Does he help at all with keeping the house clean or dealing with DC, or do the soaps take priority over that? DH and I have one DS and both work, and hardly ever watch tv because there simply aren't enough hours in the day. And as previous posters said, when we do get a chance to sit down we generally like to talk to each other. If your DH is managing to sit down and watch his religious soups every evening it suggests to me that he's not pulling his weight. Also how come he gets to watch what he wants, but you don't? Not good.

HarrysOwl Sun 17-Mar-19 06:36:55

DH is a religious soup watcher

Tomato or carrot & corriander?

MaryPopppins Sun 17-Mar-19 06:44:46

Sounds a very selfish guy. And it's kinda weird to me to hear of a male soup wink addict.

My DH doesn't watch TV really. But he does play video games for a couple of hours a week once DC in bed.

He won't if we have plans together and he also always checks if I want the TV/don't mind him playing. - generally it suits me fine as it means I can sit on my phone guilt free.

Also we're grown ups so we don't play computer games/watch TV if there is still washing etc to be done.

Hyacintharehighersincelasttime Sun 17-Mar-19 06:56:59

My DH watches netflix. With the headphones on. I do go in to sitting room and say I want to watch so and so, Mostly we end up watching things on Catch Up. I would not be happy with all the Soap watching.

troubleswillbeoutofsight Sun 17-Mar-19 06:59:04

I agree the ending of Cheat was a bit rubbish but it was exciting as a series ( I know that's not the point of your thread, sorry)

KTCluck Sun 17-Mar-19 07:10:47

Do you watch the soaps with him or are you busy cleaning, reading etc while he’s watching them? If you are, and assuming he’s happy for you to have the tv for your programmes once the soaps are finished, surely what you are doing is no different to what he is doing? I.e. watching what you’re interested in and not watching what you’re not? Surely that’s sensible? I agree it’s nice to sit and watch something together so I don’t think YABUing to want that, but surely it’s less enjoyable if one of you has no interest in it. I’d say most nights DH and I will do something separate after we’ve eaten together he watches football I flick on mumsnet. It’s nice when we do sit together but also perfectly normal to do what we enjoy separately. If spending enough time together is an issue maybe you need to find something other than TV. A day out at the weekend or something? TV off and just chat?

OhTheRoses Sun 17-Mar-19 07:12:06

It sounds numbingly boring. I'd LTB. Seriously, I think I would.

luckylavender Sun 17-Mar-19 07:13:24

But you don't like the soaps either? So why are you nagging him?

adaline Sun 17-Mar-19 07:18:54

You don't like what he watches so why should he like what you watch?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »