Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think Cadbury’s should not be encouraging people to randomly dig on national heritage sites?

(14 Posts)
BWatchWatcher Sat 16-Mar-19 19:50:37

Their new campaign:
https://treasures.cadbury.co.uk
WTAF?
For one thing it’s against the law in NI and the Republic of Ireland.

HeyThoughIWalk Sat 16-Mar-19 19:52:56

Wow, yeah, that does read as if they're suggesting you head off with a spade! Probably not a great idea...

BWatchWatcher Sat 16-Mar-19 19:55:38

Nice idea and yet they’ve kind of gone at it the wrong way.

hidinginthenightgarden Sat 16-Mar-19 19:58:12

Surely any adult with half a brain would read that and understand the intention? they wouldn't just head off to start digging for gold...or are people really that fucking dumb I think I already know the answer to this?

BWatchWatcher Sat 16-Mar-19 19:59:41

One word... starts with B ends with ‘it’.
People really are that dumb.

SummerHouse Sat 16-Mar-19 20:02:09

Yeah people are nuts...

<Elbows PPs out the way screaming "Where's my spade!!!">

SummerHouse Sat 16-Mar-19 20:03:05

@Bwatch you mean bit?

JamieVardysHavingAParty Sat 16-Mar-19 20:07:11

OP means Brexit.

costacoffeecup Sat 16-Mar-19 20:08:27

What's it got to do with chocolate?

AlpacaLypse Sat 16-Mar-19 20:11:58

Anyone else old enough to remember a lovely children's book/puzzle, there were clues in the illustrations which would lead the first person to correctly solve it to a silver hare concealed somewhere? It caused chaos. The author had clearly stated that the silver hare wasn't hidden on private property, or buried anywhere that was a scheduled ancient monument. But crazed treasure hunters were breaking into places like Stonehenge to dig around etc. His name was Kit something... it'll come to me.

Gronky Sat 16-Mar-19 20:12:03

Cadbury haven't been terribly bright with their promotions lately. Creme eggs may not be as tasty as they used to be but I do occasionally want one, their promotion of offering a cash prize for a white creme egg means every single one on the shelves has been haphazardly peeled open and resealed with likely multiple strangers raking their fingers across the chocolate in the process.

AlpacaLypse Sat 16-Mar-19 20:13:26

Yes!! this one

noideaatallreally Sat 16-Mar-19 20:15:25

Kit Williams - Masquerade

And yes the Cadburys campaign is a terrible idea. PLEASE don't encourage people to randomly dig on archaeological sites. It encourages nighthawking and can potentially damage hugely important sites.

AlpacaLypse Sat 16-Mar-19 20:22:04

I've just had a look at the Cadbury's web advert. It's dreadful - there is absolutely no mention of the fact that metal detecting and digging on virtually all the sites mentioned is extremely illegal as well as utterly immoral (puts archaeologist hat back on despite having not wielded a trowel in anger for 20 years...)

That white cadbury's creme egg thing sounds bonkers too. I've been boycotting Cadbury's anyway for a couple of years now but that's even more grim than usual.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: