Talk

Advanced search

Is it just me or.....

(13 Posts)
Frickssake Sat 16-Mar-19 22:50:21

DNBU hate being 'blinded' by these too bright lights. Was thinking of getting some night driving glasses. Anyone tried them?

Goldmandra Sat 16-Mar-19 19:28:12

They do seem to be getting brighter but I struggle even more with the flashing lights cyclists use.

They are almost excusable on busy roads in towns but on unlit rural roads they can be really disorientating. It feels like the flash is a lot brighter than any car headlight and it makes it impossible to see anything but the light. I've had to stop a couple of times to wait for the cyclist to pass so I can see the road again.

Dyingforchocolate Sat 16-Mar-19 19:25:24

Totally agree, I was worried at one point it was my eyesight, some of them are terrible. Bigger/higher cars and vans seem to be worse too because they are more eye level! It's really dangerous

Gronky Sat 16-Mar-19 19:25:16

It will never be done but I'd love for all headlights to be circularly polarised in a particular direction so we could fit opposing filters to our windscreens. Diffuse lighting would have the polarisation disrupted so we wouldn't be blind to other cars and light reflected straight back from our headlights (from reflective surfaces) would have the polarisation inverted and could pass right through. Light shining directly from the headlights would be cut down significantly.

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-Mar-19 19:23:45

I agree entirely

HollowTalk Sat 16-Mar-19 19:23:09

I had my bulbs replaced at Halford's and they asked whether I wanted the ultra bright ones. Up till then I'd thought it was my eyesight that was the problem. I think those should be banned - it's so dangerous, particularly if you're facing them on a country road.

Seeline Sat 16-Mar-19 19:21:14

Yes - far too bright. And it means you often can't see if the indicator is on. And, although I assume mine appear bright to others as the car is fairly new (and I have adjusted them), they still don't really light anything up when street lights aren't adequate.

Jellykat Sat 16-Mar-19 19:20:55

Agree, and suspect it's to do with them being LED these days..

GerryblewuptheER Sat 16-Mar-19 19:18:10

Not just you. I've been blinded so many times its scary

Tryingtoholdittogether Sat 16-Mar-19 19:18:03

Yes I was thinking this yesterday driving in the dark being blinded every 2 minutes

Divgirl2 Sat 16-Mar-19 19:16:00

Think it's because a lot of people don't realise you can lower the beam (it'll 9 times out of 10 be a little dial near your right knee if you're in the driver's seat).

bridgetreilly Sat 16-Mar-19 19:03:36

YANBU. It's dreadful. Makes driving at night so dangerous.

Doyouneedthetoilet Sat 16-Mar-19 19:01:48

are most peoples headlights too bloody bright. Sometimes you can't tell if they are on full beam or not.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »