Talk

Advanced search

I’ve really ballsed up

(56 Posts)
Quandary2018 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:48:54

This morning I had to drop my son at football at an unfamiliar ground and then shoot off to get my daughter. I used my sat nav as didn’t know the area, followed the instructions and ended up on tram tracks- usually ok as the tram runs on the road, didn’t think anything of it until a tram hooted me
Sat nav was not saying I was doing anything wrong and I hadn’t seen any signs
Have just looked on google maps and it seems I shouldn’t have been on that particular section, that the left turn I took should have been a wider bend and I should’ve been further over as it’s a one way road- something I didn’t notice
The way I went then cut onto a one way street at a mid point so, again, didn’t see any signs but I’ve now realised it means I’ve inadvertently driven the wrong way on a one way street

I’m going to get a fine aren’t I? What an idiot

Quandary2018 Sat 16-Mar-19 19:52:26

I do feel less stupid now so many of you have agreed it’s confusing, thank you!

bumblingbovine49 Sat 16-Mar-19 19:22:50

I.migjt have made the same mistake even if.not following a sat nav. That junction is crying out for better signage.

LifeBeginsNow Sat 16-Mar-19 19:11:28

Most days I drive somewhere new for work and as lovely as it would be to say I'm perfect, I do get confused by some of the road signs. Plus traffic, people stepping out in front of the car, pouring rain - they all contribute to making errors.

I've driven around Nottingham twice. First to find the hotel and the second day to get to the supplier. Oh my days that's a confusing city! Even by the picture the OP has attached, it's tricky to see what's right.

TooStressyTooMessy Sat 16-Mar-19 19:07:40

Totally pickle. If people consistently make the same error then the system needs to be looked at to see how it can be reduced.

couchparsnip Sat 16-Mar-19 19:00:52

It looks really difficult to see where you're supposed to go! I bet it happens regularly.

EssexGurl Sat 16-Mar-19 18:51:46

I am so old and useless with technology that even though we have Sat navy in the car, before I go somewhere new I look up the journey on a map. Sometimes I even go on google maps to “drive” the route as I am paranoid about this happening.

So, every sympathy to you.

My FIL always goes wrong when he comes to our house. We have lived here 14 years. His sat nat shows a right turn at a mini roundabout 2 mins drive from our house. He should go straight on. He knows this. He always follows the sat nav and moans about getting lost when he arrives. He relies on technology even when he knows better.

picklemepopcorn Sat 16-Mar-19 18:50:36

Yes, the bridge is a regular where people actually get stuck. My non driving husband is full of criticism for people who do this. My take is that something clearly isn't right if so many people are doing it.

Letsnotargue Sat 16-Mar-19 18:44:31

I live in Nottingham and I’ve only ever done this once. In this exact place. I only noticed when I was driving past the raised platforms and it didn’t feel right.

This was a couple of years ago, but I didn’t get a ticket or anything. It’s terribly signposted in places - especially here and around Dunelm as a pp said.

Don’t eat yourself up about it, you’ve learned and will be that bit more vigilant from now on. I’ve never done it since (but that doesn’t mean to say I never will 😳)

At least you didn’t need to get removed from the tram- only bridge...

jade9390 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:39:36

You might not have been caught on camera. You have learned a lesson, please stop beating yourself up.

amusedbush Sat 16-Mar-19 18:38:24

These things happen. A few months after I passed my test I was driving in a city centre and ended up on a bus-only road along the side of a bus station. I was mortified and convinced I would get a fine but nothing happened.

A few months later my brother was visiting the city and did the exact same thing! I didn’t feel quite so silly after that blush

DuckbilledSplatterPuff Sat 16-Mar-19 18:37:18

Easily done and I agree with GamerWidow, don't beat yourself up about it. At least you are analysing it, and thinking how to avoid that mistake in future. It really depends on whether there was a camera there or not. No one is a perfect driver and this will probably make you a better one in the long run. Good luck x

gamerwidow Sat 16-Mar-19 18:30:50

You might get a fine and I'm sure you're kicking yourself now but no harm is done.
Yes you shouldn't go the wrong way down a one way street but sometimes it's easy to miss signs when you are somewhere new and unfamiliar with the road.
I don't know anyone who has never made a mistake while driving.

Justonemorepancake Sat 16-Mar-19 18:15:45

So don't worry, there's prob no camera and at least you didn't do it knowingly!

Justonemorepancake Sat 16-Mar-19 18:15:04

Someone signalled to turn the wrong way up a one way street outside DS' school yesterday. I stopped (on foot) at the junction. Locked eyes with her. Pointed at the no entry sign and mouthed 'one way' and she looked away, continued indiciating and turned up it anway. Twat. I know there's no camera though. Bet she did too.

BlueSkiesLies Sat 16-Mar-19 18:13:43

That’s totally confusing!

I went down a bus only road a few months ago, realised as I was pulling off the roundabout and there was nothing I could do except proceed down it as it wouldn’t have been safe to slam on the brakes and reverse back onto the roundabout! Got a fine but no points or owt.

ThatFalseEquivalenceTho Sat 16-Mar-19 18:13:39

OP No they haven’t and it’s rrallt frustrating. There’s a few areas of the tram route like this.

GiantKitten Sat 16-Mar-19 18:13:13

Don't feel stupid - it's clearly a very confusing junction.

Joebloggswazere Sat 16-Mar-19 18:12:01

I drive down a one way street, realises half way down, got to the end and a police car was turning up the street blush
I pulled along side, apologised for my mistake, they were understanding and drove on. Mistakes happen.

Quandary2018 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:12:00

But they still haven’t done anything about it- it certainly isn’t clear when you’re at the lights waiting to turn left that the road is actually going to be the equivalent of 2 lanes over and by the time you realise you’re stuck on the tram side, which is why I kept going and then ended up on mount hooton road going the wrong way!
Like I said, I feel so utterly stupid

Quandary2018 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:10:09

There’s a lay-by they were parked in, it looks far up on the picture but in real time it wasn’t that far

I just feel so utterly stupid for getting it wrong, will be on edge for the next few weeks waiting to see if a fine comes

ThatFalseEquivalenceTho Sat 16-Mar-19 18:09:23

OP That’s very near to me. Happens regularly, loads of complaints about the signs over the years.

Justonemorepancake Sat 16-Mar-19 18:07:37

If there were cars parked on the right on the second pic that obscured your view you might be able to appeal as that's all double yellows so they were there illegally covering up the arrows. This would be visible on the cameras.

topcat2014 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:05:56

You will only get a fine if there was a camera.

I was waiting to turn right off a busy urban route, and didn't realise until I was making the turn that I was pointing into oncoming traffic.

I sorted myself out and got on the right track.

I couldn't quite realise how that had happened, and ended up looking on google maps when I got home to see all the signs.

TBF some of them were unclear, and possibly placed too early. There were lots of confusing concrete islands too.

The road planners don't always get it right.

Bunnybigears Sat 16-Mar-19 18:03:22

I hate driving in Sheffield because of the tram, it is very confusing even with the signs!

Quandary2018 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:01:46

Yep down the far right where the arrow is, but I didn’t see it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »