Talk

Advanced search

To hate that kids don't understand sarcasm

(22 Posts)
CheerioHunter Sat 16-Mar-19 15:33:07

So. DD, aged 3 and a half has just been sat eating, made some crumbs on the floor.
I asked twice over the course of a few minutes for her to pick them up.
She ignored me, then a few minutes later, jumped down and fetched her toy.

So I say "I'll just clean up your mess then shall I?"

To which she replies "You just clean up my mess, and I'll play with this."

Result = Dozens of swear words uttered under my breath as I go to fetch the hoover... The little bloody flipping grrr.... 😠🤪🤣

Redrupunzle Sat 16-Mar-19 16:18:10

Haha this happens all the time with my 3yo. Can't help but laugh

Order654 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:19:18

Don’t worry, by 7 they get it grin

brizzlemint Sat 16-Mar-19 16:19:32

Just you wait until she uses sarcasm back at you grin

PositiveVibez Sat 16-Mar-19 16:19:36

Haha. Love it.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Sat 16-Mar-19 16:24:40

My ds 4 has inherited my sarcasm....

Aquamarine1029 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:32:08

Years ago, when my son was about 4, he was helping himself to lunch, so I said, "I suppose I'll just have to starve to death." He responded, " Why would do a silly thing like that? "

ANiceLuxury Sat 16-Mar-19 16:43:26

I wish dh understood sarcasm.

SmarmyMrMime Sat 16-Mar-19 16:48:18

I've trained mine to understand sarcasm from a tender age. It's a valuable life skill grin

DoomOnTheBroom Sat 16-Mar-19 16:50:08

My 9yo still doesn't get sarcasm.

Me, after spotting his clothes on the floor instead of in his wardrobe: "Do you think I do laundry for fun?"
Him, confused look: "Yes......?"

EstrellaDamn Sat 16-Mar-19 16:51:18

Top tip: don't, in a fit of pique, ask two kids 'do you think I'm here just to clear up after you?'

Their answer will not improve your mood.

Canibearsedtogototheshops Sat 16-Mar-19 16:52:26

My father has that problem with my DD aged three - he has completely unrealistic expectations of the level of sophistication of a small child's sense of humour. E.g. he rigged the deck when they were playing a board game thinking that she'd be in on the joke. She's now banned him from playing games with her because she thinks "Grandad doesn't know how to shuffle properly" .

justkeepgoing76 Sat 16-Mar-19 16:58:22

Apparently children's brains don't understand sarcasm until they're at least 7

BloodyDisgrace Sat 16-Mar-19 17:00:28

Maybe they do, but just pretend that they don't because they know it enrages you. I think some of them are clever little shits.

killpop Sat 16-Mar-19 17:04:03

Were you expecting the 3 year old to use the Hoover? Do you have one of those little handheld ones? They can be a novelty for kids to use. Or their own little dustpan and brush.

She sounds ace though grin

CheerioHunter Sat 16-Mar-19 17:17:09

Maybe they do, but just pretend that they don't because they know it enrages you. I think some of them are clever little shits.

I think that's more the case. She enrage you on a daily basis and carries on as if nothings happened... Or laughs in your face!

Haha loving some of the other experiences of fellow wind up merchants!

She is getting Karen off Outnumbered. Just impossible to argue with!

SauvingnonBlanketyBlanc Sat 16-Mar-19 17:21:28

I was longer than my ds 5 would have liked when I was getting him a drink so he piped up "what have u been doing? Waiting for a bus?" It was funny but the attitude!

AintNobodyHereButUsReindeer Sat 16-Mar-19 17:23:12

Ahhh toddlers, I remember my DD, I think she was about 3 or 4 at the time. She said to me
"Mummy, I think you should go and walk my dog."
Me - "Who is your dog?"
DD - "Bob!"
Me - "Well if Bob is your dog maybe you should go and walk him!"
DD - <long pause> "Mummy, I think you should go and walk your dog."
grin

Cookingwithgasnow Sat 16-Mar-19 17:26:30

My 7 year old has started using sarcasm. It’s hilarious. We were at bowling and I had a rubbish shot. He walked over and said “so inspiring mum”. Was so funny.

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Sat 16-Mar-19 17:28:13

I remember asking ds to go shout of his dsis for tea. He stood next to me and bellowed her name. I said crossly that I could have done that.
Not my fault I thought of it first - was his reply!!

Glittertwins Sat 16-Mar-19 18:20:00

Just wait until she's 6 or so and the sarcasm gets chucked back at you 😉
We get it in bucket loads

Gth1234 Sat 16-Mar-19 18:54:02

I do not think sarcasm is ever a good idea. Much better to be quietly assertive.

I think Oscar Wilde was pretty well on the mark about sarcasm being the lowest form of wit.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »