Talk

Advanced search

Working extra hours

(8 Posts)
Linda1961 Sat 16-Mar-19 14:55:34

I work in a care home doing 12hr shifts. I work 7pm till 7am. I have now heard that i am to stay untill 8pm untill the days senior comes on shift. Can management make me do this. I have a grandson who i take to school in a morning so this is going to affect this

madcatladyforever Sat 16-Mar-19 14:57:58

If your contracted hours are 7 to 7 then no you don't have to and when I was a nurse I would have said no.
Why can't they meet you half way and come in early or half an hour early at least?
I'd just say sorry I have family commitments but I can stay until 8 at weekends.
Bloody cheek, do you get paid an extra hour?

loveskaka Sat 16-Mar-19 14:58:06

If your contract is 7-7 then no they can't spring this on you. You have other commitments that's being on going for a while. If it's not your contract then it is overtime which is optional

loveskaka Sat 16-Mar-19 14:59:07

@madcatladyforever basically the exact same reply as the same time lol

clairemcnam Sat 16-Mar-19 14:59:30

They can change your contract, although there is a process for this.

BobIsNotYourUncle Sat 16-Mar-19 15:02:17

Well the day senior needs to start coming in at 7 then. What were they offering to pay the extra hour as?

Linda1961 Sat 16-Mar-19 17:05:06

I will get paid yes but not the point really. They haven't even told me yet a carer did so i am going to go in tonight then they will tell me i have to stay. Its not every shift. The day senior does 8am till 7pm because we used to do 8-8 shifts then got changed to 7-7 which more staff preferred but the ones with kids could stay at 8-8 to get kids to school etc so she has to get her daughter to breakfast club at school which ok that was agreed but on a weekend i dont get why she has to come in at 8 she has a partner at home to watch her daughter & to be honest i just dont think she wants to get up early. So every other weekend i am going to be expected to stay an extra hour plus in the week. Thank you all

Linda1961 Sat 16-Mar-19 17:12:49

Yes i feel she should but you either fit in ( up managenent backside ) in there or you dont unfortunatly

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »