Talk

Advanced search

Aibu with shop assistants comment 'wrecking the place'

(615 Posts)
Harmonyrays Sat 16-Mar-19 10:59:35

Browsing in a large charity shop wuth a toddler pottering about. In the childs section, i was looking at books while she was looking at toys getting things out admittedlt leaving 3 or 4 on the floor. I was just turning aeound to pick them hp when an assistant came over and said 'could you please not let your child wreck the place'.

Thoughts please as im annoyed at the comment as shes a very yound child who was doing what kids do, i was close by ready to put things away and was going to help the charity by buying several items.

Harmonyrays Sat 16-Mar-19 11:00:06

Sorry for typos on the phone

twinkle999 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:00:23

YABU

WellErrr Sat 16-Mar-19 11:01:21

YABU. You need to control your child when you’re in a shop, and teach them not to get things out and drop them on the floor!
Poor shop assistant who has to clear it all up.

Absolutely staggered that you think it’s ok for your child to do this in a shop.

Merryoldgoat Sat 16-Mar-19 11:01:23

The assistant could’ve phrased it better but I wouldn’t let a toddler take toys off shelves etc.

regularbutpanickingabit Sat 16-Mar-19 11:01:36

It’s a shop, not a library or a play area. Yabu.

JellyBook Sat 16-Mar-19 11:02:35

She jumped the gun a bit, but she’s probably experienced these parents who let their kids roam free and wreck the joint while happily ignoring them.

Fatasfook Sat 16-Mar-19 11:03:09

It’s s shop! Of course yabu, and entitled. As well as not teaching your child to behave in shops.

ColeHawlins Sat 16-Mar-19 11:03:43

YABU.

It's your job to stop your toddler taking multiple toys out and leaving them on the floor. It's one of the benefits of using a buggy IME.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sat 16-Mar-19 11:04:31

I agree with PPs it's a shop not stay and play. YABU

PurpleDaisies Sat 16-Mar-19 11:05:31

You are being completely unreasonable.

CluedoAddict Sat 16-Mar-19 11:05:56

YABU you need to supervise your child.

AtrociousCircumstance Sat 16-Mar-19 11:05:56

She expressed herself rudely.

MitziK Sat 16-Mar-19 11:06:16

A charity shop is not a playground.

ScreamingValenta Sat 16-Mar-19 11:07:46

I think 'wreck the place' sounds harsh and exaggerated for what happened - very over-dramatic.

It was reasonable for her to say something, but she should just have been factual - 'please could you stop your child leaving the toys on the floor' would have been a sensible thing to say.

GruciusMalfoy Sat 16-Mar-19 11:09:18

Sorry, YABU. Shops need to keep a clear floor.

rose789 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:09:27

YABU

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 16-Mar-19 11:09:44

Oh here we go the Judgemental brigade.
FFS it was a child playing with a few toys. Hardly makes her a delinquent in the making,does it

ThisMustBeMyDream Sat 16-Mar-19 11:09:58

She had no idea you were not buying those items. She should have asked politely. There is no need for rudeness.

Luckingfovely Sat 16-Mar-19 11:10:54

Yup YA totally BU.

Precious first child much?

Spotsmum Sat 16-Mar-19 11:11:58

You were being very unreasonable. What if someone had tripped over the toys? You are responsible for your child. The shop assistant could have phrased it better, but she was likely a volunteer and has to watch feckless parents allow this day in, day out. Please have consideration for others.

littletreasure2017 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:12:17

I disagree on this one, I don't think you were unreasonable I think she sounded rude xxx

Madein1995 Sat 16-Mar-19 11:13:34

YABU.

She's probably encountered lots of parents who let their children pull things about, run around, drop things etc. I know I did in a supermarket. Parents letting their kids eat the (to be weighed) pick n mix, or worse, put their hands in the stands and eat them. Pull things about, drop jars, run about, leave then alone while they try on clothes etc.

It's a common thing in retail for some parents to behave like this and leave their children to roam. While by no means the majority, its common enough to cloud people's views. Letting your child pull things about and leave them in the floor, isn't ok. It might be what kids do, and it might be ok in a nursery, crèche, home, child's section of a library. A shop is none of those things. It doesn't matter that she's a young child, or it's what children do. It's not a nursery where children are allowed to do those things.

From her perspective, your child was pulling out toys while you were looking at books and not intervening. Most parents I've encountered would have walked off without tidying. As you weren't stopping your child, presumably and understandably, she thought you the same.

No one expects children to behave perfectly. They tantrum, cry, shout, it's normal and expected. What's also expected Is that parents control their children

LoudBatPerson Sat 16-Mar-19 11:17:13

YABU. It sounds like you were letting your child get out multiple toys and play with things whilst you browsed a different section.

It is absolutely not ok for a child to get out multiple items in a shop, play with them and leave them on the floor.

You should have stepped in once the first item was left out, not wait till there 3/4.

VampirateQueen Sat 16-Mar-19 11:17:16

YABU, do you even know how annoying it is when people let their kids take stuff off the shelves and not put them back? Then if you don't put it away immediately someone falls over it and complains or another kids comes along and takes more off. It is a Nightmare and makes a thankless job even more difficult to do, shop staff have more to do than pick up after your child.
You may have had the intention of picking them up but not every parent does and the shop assistant doesn't know that you will. Your child was probably the 5th or 6th to do it that day, just teach them to look and not touch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »