Talk

Advanced search

RTFT!!!!

(134 Posts)
Mookie81 Sat 16-Mar-19 08:53:01

I've recent noticed an upsurge in the number of people commenting on threads with remarks or questions that have been answered by the OP further up.
So frustrating!
Why the hell can't people at least read the OP's comments even if they don't want to read the whole thing?
I'm aware it's not a new thing but I'm noticing it more and more lately. AIBU to yell at people to RTFT?!

x2boys Sat 16-Mar-19 08:58:10

Yes it's annoying , particularly when it's a very long thread and people come on with a question or advice that has been posted or answered countless times.

Calzone Sat 16-Mar-19 08:59:16

I so Agree with you.

So frustrating and so lazy.

The one about What shall I feed unwanted guests had me screaming as a week later stupid people were still posting their crap ideas when
1) the op had said she wanted nice food she could eat but just didn’t want to make much effort
2) the meal had been and gone

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Sparklingbrook Sat 16-Mar-19 08:59:38

Then there's the even more baffling 'Not read the whole thread but here's my opinion'. confused
Which is generally what has already been said multiple times.

Mookie81 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:01:56

I can understand not wanting to trawl through pages of text but just read the green bits! hmm

FyiYolo Sat 16-Mar-19 09:05:46

I think poster should at least read the green bits if they don't feel like trawling through pages of posts. wink

chipsandgin Sat 16-Mar-19 09:07:10

I’ve previously visited flouncers corner & given Mumsnet a rest for a while for the same reason.

What on earth makes someone think that their (usually blindingly obvious) comment/advice on the original OP is a little gem of wisdom nobody else would have thought to say after 300 posts amazes me.

It’s particularly annoying when things have moved on considerably, the OP has provided more info/revealed it is a reverse/already left the husband and is getting support on other issues etc!

It is where the phrase ‘cancel the cheque’ came from (a poster had sent a cheque for a wedding present - after several hundred replies & the thread taking a whole different direction, days later people were plopping in having not RTFT to say ‘well I think you should cancel the cheque’!).

Nothing new sadly but definitely mind bogglingly frustrating!

LuckyAmy1986 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:08:13

How do I get it to show the green bits?

TheFatberg Sat 16-Mar-19 09:09:34

Especially when a thread is over 10 pages. Chances are the OP has updated or someone else has made your oh so important comment.

Veronicat Sat 16-Mar-19 09:10:04

I haven't read the full thread and didn't want to read and run but maybe posters should just read the green bits. grin

QueenOfIce Sat 16-Mar-19 09:11:18

I wish MN would make it possible to just read the op and their updates on the app.

Wildcate Sat 16-Mar-19 09:11:45

I can understand not wanting to trawl through pages of text but just read the green bits!

The setting where OPs posts are highlighted a different colour isn’t automatic, and maybe people don’t know how to do it?

Bobcatcornea Sat 16-Mar-19 09:13:59

Or people not even reading the OP and just going off the original thread title. It's so frustrating.

Serialweightwatcher Sat 16-Mar-19 09:14:30

I agree - I've been guilty on occasions in the past until someone told me how to find the OP's comments quickly (especially when there are pages and pages) .. can't work mumsnet on my phone at all because I'm useless, but when on a computer I press Ctrl and F and get a dropdown box - I put in the OP's name and then it gives all the examples of everything they've said and obviously some posters comments where the OP's name has been mentioned, but it's great ... and I have theirs highlighted which makes it much easier but forgot how I did that hmm

Oysterbabe Sat 16-Mar-19 09:14:35

I'd be happy if people read the first post.

So often you see:

My 2 year old DD blah blah MIL blah blah.

Response:

How old is she?

Wildcate Sat 16-Mar-19 09:17:31

In case anyone’s interested..l

To highlight OPs posts

On the desktop site go to the down arrow next to Talk (towards the top left of the page)

Go to Customise

Choose the right option, then select your colour.

Wildcate Sat 16-Mar-19 09:18:31

That’s where you can also hide topics...

x2boys Sat 16-Mar-19 09:21:17

The other annoying one is ,I have no advice but I g ent want to read and run I take this mean ,I know Jack shit about your situation but your thread looks interesting so I'm going to follow it.

x2boys Sat 16-Mar-19 09:21:58

I didn't *

IWantChocolates Sat 16-Mar-19 09:22:00

Not everyone has the same custom options though, that's the problem.

donquixotedelamancha Sat 16-Mar-19 09:26:56

Not RTFT, but has anyone mentioned that you can highlight the OPs posts? I use green :-)

UnspiritualHome Sat 16-Mar-19 09:31:36

"I don't want to read and run" seriously annoys me. There are, at the very least, hundreds of people reading the post, no-one will know or care whether a particular individual has read and run.

AuntVanya Sat 16-Mar-19 09:33:04

People enjoy MN in different ways. It's perhaps annoying to some but there's no rule against it.

MyOtherProfile Sat 16-Mar-19 09:33:56

Not RTFT, but has anyone mentioned that you can highlight the OPs posts? I use green

I was about to post exactly this. Thank goodness i rtft huh? grin grin grin

Witchend Sat 16-Mar-19 09:34:06

It would be easier if you could have an option of just reading the OPs posts. I think that would also stop people placemarking.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: