Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what the fuck is going on in the flat upstairs?

(35 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Fri 15-Mar-19 23:26:16

We have lived in a small block of flats for years. The same amount of time as the man on the top floor. About two years ago, his partner moved in with him. Very nice chap, friendly, helpful with things like the bins. He is still living there. But over the past 6-8 months there seem to be more and more people living there - yesterday there were letters on the stairs for five people at the flat, none of whom are the original chap and his partner.

The other thing is that it has become a lot more noisy. There is music playing at all hours, people going in and out all the time. The family directly underneath are going mad with the noise, and we can hear it in the stairwell.

We are not there all the time, and the DDs (who are 20 and 18) often stay there alone at weekends. And I am a bit nervous about them being there on their own with all of these random men, whom we don’t know at all, coming in and out.

Any idea what is going on, and what we can do re the noise? He has said he will look into getting carpets fitted, but seems to think we should just suck up the noise. No-one has directly asked who all of these random men are, who seem to be living there, either.

TwoRoundabouts Sun 17-Mar-19 18:17:41

First thing to do is talk to the partner about the number of guests. Also tell him that it's not a good idea to piss off the neighbours underneath with his catering equipment as they may make random claims about what he uses them for.

If you get no joy from that report the owner to your management company/freeholder and say he's subletting. At the same time check your council's HMO regulations and if they are breached report the owner there.

Oh and if you talk to the neighbours underneath them, tell them to keep a noise record - they can download the format online and need to put in everything not just music - then report the owner to the management company/freeholder as well.

I've lived in blocks of flats and converted houses - if you have issues with another resident the more people who complain the more likely the complaint will be listened to but it helps if the complaints have specifics.

In my current flat a resident was causing problems, a few people complained and only because I was the one who put in specifics e.g. dates, times, descriptions, etc was something done. Though in another flat one flat was complaining about everyone else making noise even if it was in the day and normal noise. As the flats in the building was rented out by the same estate agent they moved a musician in and obviously told him he could practice for a couple of hours around midday, so they moved out.

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 17-Mar-19 18:01:03

Exactly, NellWilsonsWhiteHair. I don’t want my children to feel threatened or intimidated coming into their home.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sun 17-Mar-19 07:13:27

Why would you be wary of comings and goings in someone else’s house? Your DDs are adults, why would you be concerned about that?

Having lived - as an adult - in smallish blocks of flats with neighbours who lead chaotic lives, and in smallish blocks of flats with friendly, clean, working neighbours who have a 'normal' ratio of bedrooms to adult residents, I completely empathise with OP's wariness. It is a disconcerting experience and it always made my home feel less safe (and arguably that's true and not 'just' a feeling - otherwise blocks of flats wouldn't have a communal door at all, they'd just have open stairwells like on many older blocks of social housing which most landlords seem to be moving away from...). If I'd cross the road to avoid a group of rowdy men I didn't know at 2am, I don't want them rampaging up my stairs either.

Ivalueloyaltyaboveallelse Sun 17-Mar-19 06:13:30

My friend had a very nice apartment. However he was made redundant so needed to sale this apartment. He decided to rent the apartment out to a couple short term while he put it up for sale. The couple were looking to rent short term only before buying themselves, so worked out for all. They came all suited and booted and seemed like very polite guys. Even paid 5 months up front. My friend thought great until about 2 months in when he received several phone calls from different neighbors stating that loud music is being blasted into the late hours and always lots of people coming and going . My friend tried contacting the tenants, no answer. Finally decided to go over. He pressed the buzzer numerous times over the week, no answer. Finally he let himself into the building and knocked on the door. The tenants point blank refused to open the door and told him to go away. Informed him that he has not given them notice to come over to do a check. As my friend was leaving the building about 4 foreign guys entered. They looked like homeless guys and mentioned his door number. So he took the stairs while they got in the lift. The tenant opened the door to these friends and my friend appeared and was visibly shocked to see one of the tenants looking like a homeless guy himself. My friend asked to check the property they refused and even threatened him. He finally snapped and said he was going to call the police. Funny enough they then decided to let him in to check the property. The apartment was ruined. It was filthy. Had holes in the wall, the light sockets were hanging off, the kitchen had been ripped out, broken toilets and graffiti all over the walls. It was awful. Turns out this couple had rented out the other rooms to 5 foreign guys and they were all hooked on drugs. My friend eventually managed to get them out due to the drugs but his apartment was trashed and of course he could not sell it. Apparently this couple recently moved on to buy with help of one the guys parents. I really hope you did not get them OP.

19lottie82 Sun 17-Mar-19 06:03:21

You could call the Council and report him for having an unlicensed HMO?

Myfoolishboatisleaning Sun 17-Mar-19 04:44:12

Why would you be wary of comings and goings in someone else’s house? Your DDs are adults, why would you be concerned about that?

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 16-Mar-19 20:00:00

Yes, Scaryteacher, I think that is what is going to have to happen. We can ask, but he can refuse to attend or answer any questions (which has happened in the past when we have had an AGM) - as I said before, he is difficult and obstructive and not easy to deal with.

Buttermilkwaffles, they are definitely not AirBnB. What makes them stand out is that they are clearly not professional people, which is why I wondered if they are illegal immigrants. Not to put too fine a point on it, the ones I have seen look like homeless people from their clothes. And not the sort of people you would expect to see living in this area. My worry is whether they are being exploited, as well as some concern for my daughters’ safety, as none of them are known to me.

scaryteacher Sat 16-Mar-19 18:26:59

If you and the other lower flat own a,share of the free hold, call a meeting to find out what is happening. Surely from a management point of view, you need to know?

buttermilkwaffles Sat 16-Mar-19 17:54:00

Can you not see the other occupants coming and going? If they are using Airbnb it would be pretty obvious, people arriving/ departing every few days, with luggage. You could also check the Airbnb site to see if it's listed. But Airbnb guests highly unlikely to be receiving post or to all be male.

Also why do you think it's "illegal immigrants" - if they are foreign, you have no idea of their immigration status (they could be perfectly entitled to be here or could be tourists) and if people were here illegally they are unlikely to want to draw attention to themselves in a way which might involve police visiting the property...

Singlenotsingle Sat 16-Mar-19 17:49:29

I reckon if he's got 2 spare rooms he just rents them out. (Certainly if they've been there long enough to have post sent to that address).

Plump82 Sat 16-Mar-19 17:42:58

Ah yes, reading it back it makes sense now!! In our old flat we had a similar situation however the original tenant was a young girl and it was people taking advantage of her having her own place. It all got pretty messy in the end.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 16-Mar-19 17:33:26

Thank you for clarifying that, Arpafeelie. I thought I had made myself clear, but obviously not. Owner of flat is difficult. His partner is nice, although currently pissing off the other residents by storing all of his catering equipment under the stairs. This doesn’t worry us though as we never use the cupboard.

Arpafeelie Sat 16-Mar-19 17:22:57

The difficult man is the original occupant. The friendly nice chap is his partner who moved in two years ago. The rest are randoms.

Plump82 Sat 16-Mar-19 17:11:44

Was thinking the same Sunonthepatio

Sunonthepatio Sat 16-Mar-19 15:33:17

Is he a nice chap and friendly or is he difficult? It's hard to be both.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Sat 16-Mar-19 13:27:30

If it's a three bedroom flat and the rooms are big enough for doubles you could have three couples living there I guess. A brothel seems unlikely if they are registering mail to the address, I'd imagine he is renting out his spare rooms .

RugbyRugby Sat 16-Mar-19 13:20:03

Air B&B I'd bet

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 16-Mar-19 13:14:31

The brothel thing had crossed my mind. And possibly involving illegal immigrants?

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 16-Mar-19 13:13:03

They’re my DDs, not his. And while his partner is lovely, he is not - he is very difficult. The people who live underneath him complain all the time - they go and ring the bell at 2.00 am and ask him to turn the music down. They have asked him to do more re soundproofing, like put down carpets (which he is supposed to have under the terms of the lease). It is complicated in that we all own a share of the freehold and are shareholders in the management company - so essentially we run ourselves.

He - and his partner are definitely still living there, but it seems that at least another five people are as well. The dynamics for the whole thing seem odd.

Rockmysocks Sat 16-Mar-19 07:00:34

youtu.be/4IRB0sxw-YU
Everyone's upstairs neighbours

snowbear66 Sat 16-Mar-19 06:57:06

Perhaps he's moved to his girlfriend's and is subletting.

Dottierichardson Sat 16-Mar-19 02:19:49

Also you could make a note of the names on mail for the flat and do a Google search to see if you can find out more.

Dottierichardson Sat 16-Mar-19 02:15:54

There's been a big rise in Air BnBs being used as pop-up brothels...

Myfoolishboatisleaning Sat 16-Mar-19 02:11:39

Whose dds are there? His?

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 01:31:17

Do you ask them to turn it down at the time? If they don't oblige, then tell him that when he's away, there's a LOT of noise, and ask him o keep his friends in check. If he's not interested in dealing wwith it, then contact the management company. You're entitled to quiet enjoyment of your home and you're not getting it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »