Talk

Advanced search

To not finish my course of antibiotics?

(53 Posts)
duckling84 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:41:14

On Wednesday I was diagnosed with tonsillitis and prescribed erythromycin. I've been told to take 2 tablets 4 times a day so 2000mg so I've taken 7 lots so far (so 14 tablets). Since yesterday afternoon I've been in agony with stomach cramps which just seem to be getting worse and I really don't think I can go through the weekend with 5dc in this pain.

I would never usually consider stopping antibiotics early but I seem to have worse symptoms from the abs then the infection right now.

Aibu to stop?

Confusedbeetle Fri 15-Mar-19 17:45:04

You need to talk to the doctor who prescribed to ask if the pain is related to the antibiotics. There is a new thinking that you can stop when you feel well rather than finish the course but this doesnt sound well. Only a doctor could tell you

britnay Fri 15-Mar-19 17:45:24

Are they enteric coated?
Are you taking them on an empty stomach or with/after food?

duckling84 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:48:33

Not taking with food as low appetite.
Stomach pain is listed as one of the most common side effects. It was also prescribed by OOH gp so unlikely to speak to them again (I couldn't even guess at their name tbh)

QuestionableMouse Fri 15-Mar-19 17:49:28

I did recently. Was on metronidazole for a dental infection and they made me feel like I was dying (and sent my anxiety skyrocketing)

I rang 111 and a GP/someone rang me back and advised me to stop taking them. I did have an appointment with my dentist the next morning though.

theredjellybean Fri 15-Mar-19 17:50:01

That sounds like a very large dose. Erythromycin should be 250mg four times a day for simple tonsillitis

EleanorLavish Fri 15-Mar-19 17:50:02

As mentioned above there are new ideas now about stopping antibiotics early. Antimicrobial stewardship involves assessing the patient after 3 days and possibly stopping use. The theory being (I think) that your body can now take over.
I think ask a pharmacist or speak to a medical professional.
If it was me I'd maybe reduce the dose and spread out over more days?
So maybe once or twice a day as opposed to three or four times a day.

Friedspamfritters Fri 15-Mar-19 17:50:32

Like PP you need to speak to a doctor, even if it isn't the doctor who prescribed them. Sorry you're not well OP - I sympathise I hate antibiotics. I always get a dodgy tummy and usually thrush too.

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 15-Mar-19 17:51:33

If an OOH GP prescribed them then you need to get into contact with the OOH GP service (via 111 if you’re in the UK) and ask them.

Folf Fri 15-Mar-19 17:52:23

you really ought to speak to a GP, but it does sound like an exceptionally high dosage.

justasking111 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:53:53

Wow that is a high dose. I would check it out with a pharmacist.

whatsleep Fri 15-Mar-19 17:55:10

If you can’t grt hold of a gp a pharmacist would be able to offer advice regarding if the fuse is far to high

whatsleep Fri 15-Mar-19 17:55:25

Dose not fuse!

Greywalls12 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:04:17

Gastro irritation/disturbances is a common side effect, so I'd advise taking them with food.
However if it's severe pain then you need to see a GP to change the antibiotics. Call 111 to see if you can get an OOH appt? Or alternatively do you have a walk in centre near you open tomorrow?

And a dose of 2000mg over 4 divided doses is not too much for tonsillitis (BNF actually says you can have more than this).

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 15-Mar-19 18:05:54

2000mg a day is a perfectly standard dose

SpuriouserAndSpuriouser Fri 15-Mar-19 18:06:11

hmm

duckling84 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:06:17

Ok I will go and see a pharmacist as I prefer seeing people in person then on the phone.
Reading the info it did seem like a very large dose. Since I've already had 4 tablets today I wont take any more (I'm due my next lot now but just cant face it) and see if the pain eases during the night.
Its good to hear the idea around when to stop changing though. I very rarely take ab's (I've only taken 2 other courses in the last 11yrs!) So I'm more then happy to trust my immune system to take over now

Damntheman Fri 15-Mar-19 18:08:53

Penicillin allergy eh? I also have to take erythromycin and it's a beast on the digestive system.

Get as much natural yoghurt and probiotics down you as you can and if it's possible just lie on the sofa and try not to move. Hopefully your doctor can help you out!

Greywalls12 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:09:56

A pharmacist won't be able to perscribe you a different course of antibiotics.
They'll tell you the dosing is correct, what the side effects can be and advise you see a GP to change them.

Greywalls12 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:12:42

Also, stopping your antibiotics early can lead to antibiotic resistance. The current medical advice is to still take the full perscribed dose, even if you're feeling better.
Antibiotic resistance is particularly not good if you're pen allergic, which I'm guessing you are!

EleanorLavish Fri 15-Mar-19 18:23:59

Greywalls I believe that is changing? I did a course recently and we had someone in from Antibiotic Stewardship and that is what she said. All hospital antibiotics are assessed after 3 days to see if they can be stopped.
They are also really clamping down on the use of antibiotics in our trust.

RavenousBabyButterfly Fri 15-Mar-19 18:35:48

YABU to ask Mumsnet for medical advice, call 111.

Greywalls12 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:39:53

@EleanorLavish but antibiotics in hospital are reviewed based on the decrease of infection markers in blood test results, which the OP won't have had. They're not just stopped if someone is feeling better, it's a combination of symptom review and blood test results.

AnneOfCleavage Fri 15-Mar-19 18:43:26

That same antibiotic made me so sick after just 2/ 3 doses that I now have to say I can't take that particular one anymore. I'm allergic to penicillin so assume this one wasn't as was prescribed it so there's no alternative really I was told now as allergic to most so hope I never need anything antibiotic in the future.

I'm pretty small - just under 5'2" and 50kg so I wondered if the dose was too high. Are you similar height / weight?

Traveller104 Fri 15-Mar-19 18:44:32

I was prescribed erythromycin on Wednesday 500mg 4 times a day. Spent all day and night yesterday vomiting so spoke to my doctor today, they stopped it and changed my prescription... it was really unpleasant, but there are alternatives.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »