Talk

Advanced search

Forgetting things at nearly 50 is this normal?

(79 Posts)
Frickssake Fri 15-Mar-19 15:36:40

Just been to cash machine- came away with nothing because I can't remember my PIN number. AT ALL. that was 15 mins ago and I still can't remember it. Had the same pin number for the last 3 years. AIBU to be concerned. Also how am I going to get some cash out now?

agnurse Fri 15-Mar-19 15:40:59

Memory loss is very common in perimenopause. To be diagnosed clinically with Alzheimer's or other dementia you need to have memory loss and impairment in at least one other area, such as language or executive functioning (e.g. planning, abstract thought, etc.).

You might need to go to the bank and ask them to help you change your PIN.

cardibach Fri 15-Mar-19 15:43:35

I think it’s fairly common to have odd memory blips.
As far as your number goes, you need to kid your brain 8nto not thinking about it so you can access muscle memory or whatever and just type it in. Walk straight up to a cash point and type without thinking.

Alsohuman Fri 15-Mar-19 15:44:16

It’ll come back to you when you’re not thinking about it. Don’t worry, it happens to people a lot younger than you.

MissionItsPossible Fri 15-Mar-19 15:44:19

OP, I'm 32 and about 2 or 3 years ago I had to leave a whole weekly shop because I couldn't remember my PIN number at the till. (I've had the same one since 18). I didn't remember it until over an hour later, when I was long gone from there. The person at the till said it happens more often than I would think.

bigbluebus Fri 15-Mar-19 15:45:36

It can be normal - yes. I often forget names of people whom I have known of (not close friends/family) for years. I then come to talk about them to someone and suddenly can't remember their names - it usually comes to me later on though.

Sicario Fri 15-Mar-19 15:45:59

Hello lovely OP! Welcome to the perimenopause! Have a bun!

KinderMalo Fri 15-Mar-19 15:47:19

Im 49 and i think this stuff used to happen to me more often in the past. 🤔

Rafflesway Fri 15-Mar-19 15:49:51

OMG, yes!

Prior to retirement, (early), I struggled to remember customers' names who I viewed as friends and who I had been dealing with for many years. It was actually quite scary.

Has improved slightly since I am very pleased to report. grin

Bunchofparsley Fri 15-Mar-19 15:54:43

Yes. Both normal AND terrifying. flowers
My lovely mum died with horrendous dementia and it's made me hyper-vigilant.
I have other signs I find more worrying but also find stress makes it all much, much worse so avoid stressy situations like the plague!

JustHereWithMyPopcorn Fri 15-Mar-19 16:00:59

Yup. Haven't forgotten a pin number yet but forget names (people, places, films etc.) constantly now. It's bloody annoying!

WorraLiberty Fri 15-Mar-19 16:02:00

Yes, I'm nearly 50 and perimenopausal.

I've been suffering from short-term memory loss for about a year. I have to write every single thing down!

Even at work I can take a phone call, ask their name, put them through to another department immediately but I rarely remember who's calling if I haven't written it down confused

It takes me longer to jot it down than it does to put them through!

WorraLiberty Fri 15-Mar-19 16:03:09

Oh I meant to say, I started taking vitamin B12 today because that's supposed to help (according to Dr Hilary!)

I'll let you know if it works in a few weeks, if I can remember to update you grin

Weetabixandshreddies Fri 15-Mar-19 16:04:28

I really hope that it's normal. I'm putting it down to medication that I take but I'm not sure.

I forget the names of things, I forget what I'm saying mid sentence...I'm 50 too.

anniehm Fri 15-Mar-19 16:04:39

Yes, occasional memory lapses are normal BUT if it becomes a frequent occurrence where it's affecting your life especially if combined with any other worrying symptom then seek medical advice. I think we've all done it with PIN numbers at some point.

Toooldtocareanymore Fri 15-Mar-19 16:12:31

that sort of memory loss is fine, we all have blips, proper senility is reflected in when you stand in front of a cash point with card in hand and wonder what to do next, or repeat same wrong number over and over till card is swallowed up, in my experience its more the loss of processing memory, common sense, lack of ability to take cues from around you that's an indication that's something is wrong

PabloTescobar Fri 15-Mar-19 16:15:33

Not that long ago I had an appointment with the GP, at a surgery I have literally been to hundreds of times. When I came out of the appointment I shut the door behind me, looked left and right and didn't recognise a thing for about ten seconds. I didn't know which way to go to exit the very small building. shock

I will admit that this did worry me for a while but I have come to the conclusion that it was because I was under massive stress at the time.

Grace212 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:53:42

OP the first thing that struck me was - when did you last use your PIN number? I've got so used to just waving my card at a machine, I can see how you'd forget.

Frickssake Fri 15-Mar-19 17:00:08

Lol do you know, I can't actually remember

PuppyMonkey Fri 15-Mar-19 17:03:42

I forgot my PIN for several days when I was in my 20s, so I don’t think it’s necessarily menopause.confused

BlackeyedGruesome Fri 15-Mar-19 17:13:55

yep completely normal.

sorry.

tillytrotter1 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:18:57

I forgot I was married after 4 years when cashing a cheque, yes I am that old, signed my maiden name, the cashier looked a bit embarrassed, thought we'd spilt

windydoggy Fri 15-Mar-19 17:34:54

Turned 50 last year and had new credit card that I needed to change pin for ....even though my 2 bank cards have same pin as did my old credit card when standing at machine I had no idea what pin I had been using 🙄
I ended up using a new number and told husband as it was because of security, couldn't admit I had forgotten pin I had used for 20 + years .

Alsohuman Fri 15-Mar-19 17:38:20

I was 21 when I left my son outside a shop in his pram, I was halfway home before I remembered him. Thankfully nobody else wanted him!

Petalflowers Fri 15-Mar-19 17:40:26

How reassuring. I’m in a similar age bracket and twice recently forgot names of people I know. I was beginning to get concerned.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »