Talk

Advanced search

RHEtoric RHEtoric, RHEtoric

(64 Posts)
Jux Fri 15-Mar-19 13:43:29

Not rheTORic. Ffs

stopitandtidyupp Sun 17-Mar-19 22:15:29

I would say it was the first one as in school project.

Wildcate Sun 17-Mar-19 20:27:11

So, @stopitandtidyupp is it a PROject Manager, or PROJect Manager?

stopitandtidyupp Sun 17-Mar-19 17:24:11

PRO ject vs PROJ ect

Yuck.

First one would be a school thing to me and the second to project voice.

Jux Sun 17-Mar-19 15:28:12

grin MsMighty

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 16-Mar-19 14:26:49

bulletin ....dearie me. The Typo Karma gods are very quick today. grin

MsMightyTitanAndHerTroubadours Sat 16-Mar-19 14:25:53

heard a news reader make a right hack job of Addis Ababa the other day, ....ardice-R-BARBAR , next bulettin time it was right, they must have teased her mercilessly behind the scenes.

Wildcate Sat 16-Mar-19 14:00:39

PRO ject vs PROJ ect

Yuck.

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 13:54:32

Oh Lord. Yes that's what I meant. I also wrote its not it's but blame my phone and not being able to edit for that one. Sorry!

HarryTheSteppenwolf Sat 16-Mar-19 13:13:31

Random emphasis on pronouns. Newsreaders are particularly bad for this. "Mrs May is today IN Brussels for talks". "A fire has broken out AT a shoe factory" and so on. Drives me potty and its everywhere.

Those aren't pronouns. They're prepositions.

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 11:04:58

Btw, the rheTORic thing was a professor interviewed on Sky News yesterday.

How can I take him and his professorship seriously, and therefore his supposedly wise words about whatever it was, when he says rheTORic? My head just got full of rheTORic and I heard nothing else....

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 11:00:36

*@Owlbethere*, thanks! No wonder I didn't remember it too well grin Language is fascinating.

*@lillighters85*, I call that Kangaroo Talk, and the first person I noticed using it was thevileClarkson. Since then (nearly 20 years perhaps) it's caught on massively. He must be so proud.

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:14:54

Also continuity announcers using we've. "After the news we've the next instalment of Holby". No no no!!!

lillighters85 Sat 16-Mar-19 09:13:43

Random emphasis on pronouns. Newsreaders are particularly bad for this. "Mrs May is today IN Brussels for talks". "A fire has broken out AT a shoe factory" and so on. Drives me potty and its everywhere.

longwayoff Sat 16-Mar-19 08:53:33

A friend says ordossity instead of audacity. Frequently. Irritating in the extreme.

OwlBeThere Sat 16-Mar-19 08:12:43

@jux I didn’t know it either until I studied linguistics and welsh is my first language blushgrin
Latin is similar but a bit more complicated (because of course it is, when did Latin ever make things easy) the way I understand it the stress is either the third or second last syllable depending on if the syllables after it are long or short. Not entirely sure what s long or short syllable is though. I’ll stick to welsh.

Janecon Sat 16-Mar-19 07:29:34

I don't really get bothered by these with the exception of newsreaders saying pleece rather than police (as someone has already mentioned). It's just lazy and it drives me mad!

BIWI Sat 16-Mar-19 07:24:11

Research is always research - and never reeeesearch! (I work in research and it drives me nuts)

Spiderbanana Sat 16-Mar-19 06:36:26

I am getting weird looks from DH as I sit in bed testing out these pronunciations grin

HarrysOwl Sat 16-Mar-19 06:33:20

PAcific instead of SPEcific.

Being precise is not an ocean.

Arrrrgggg.

Chickenwing Sat 16-Mar-19 02:37:00

Happy NEW year..... or happy new YEAR

AintNobodyHereButUsReindeer Sat 16-Mar-19 02:25:44

SATnav. Not satNAV (I'm looking at you, mum)

Ireallywantmylifeback Sat 16-Mar-19 02:02:54

Withdrawal not withdrawral

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 16-Mar-19 01:27:29

The weather people on the news here say “tempeture” instead of “temperature”. Drives me batty.

Also “liberry” instead of “library”. Argh!!!

Jux Sat 16-Mar-19 01:17:57

Thanks for that, *@FlashingLights*, interesting.

*@Owlbethere*, never knew that. Should I ever start to learn Welsh I shall remember that. I think my dad once said a similar thing about Latin, but I'm not sure that that's not a figment of my imagination! (And he was the sort of man who pronounced 'Conduit' as 'cundit'. His best friend said 'cumputer' and also 'heelicopter', so maybe I should ignore all my childhood pronunciations!)

NoCryingInEngineering Fri 15-Mar-19 22:26:04

There's a bloke at my work always talks about MainTAINance. Drives me up the fucking wall

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »