Talk

Advanced search

Sanitary products in library

(218 Posts)
dogsdinnerlady Fri 15-Mar-19 12:55:22

On the back of the loo door in my library this morning is a poster offering free sanitary products for anyone who needs them. Just ask at the desk, it says. Really? Who is going to do that? I see schools are going to provide free pads and tampons for all pupils soon. With libraries closing to save money and schools having to ask parents to pay for books, it seems the budget can accommodate free sanitary products for millions of women.
I am probably in the minority in thinking this is taking the welfare state too far.

QueenoftheBiscuitTin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:23:03

How is this a bad thing???

samsamsamsamsamsam Fri 15-Mar-19 13:27:10

You know like maybe people who are coming into the library for warmth? Homeless people? People who cant afford it otherwise?

KickAssAngel Fri 15-Mar-19 13:27:49

Do you object to them providing loo paper? Hand driers? doors on the toilets? Toilets? Chairs? Tables? Books?

Women can't stop a period or cross their legs or hold their breath and make it go away. It's a very real bodily function that women have to cope with and can't control.

Or are we supposed to just not have female bodies? I'll detach my reproductive system and leave it at the door, shall I?

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 15-Mar-19 13:28:41

Lovely idea. Nice to see a negative thread turn out positively in the end. So glad to hear libraries are offering this service.

BrightYellowDaffodil Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:44

YAB so very very U.

This is a good thing, not something to clutch your pearls over where the money comes from. If it bothers you, why don’t you find out how it’s funded? It’s almost certainly charitable donations and even if it isn’t, I couldn’t give one shiny shit that a tiny teeny proportion of funding is being used to give women sanitary products.

Get a fucking grip.

whitehalleve Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:48

YABU

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:57

It is provided by charities.
And homeless women often use libraries as a warm place to sit down.

dadap Fri 15-Mar-19 13:31:32

OP - did you mean who is going to ask at the desk? Meaning some women / Girls may not feel comfortable asking for them - that's more what I was thinking. Other than that I think it is a fantastic idea and only wish it had been around when I was a teenager without parental support and living on a very tight budget - with all the issues that come with very heavy periods.

BeefTomato Fri 15-Mar-19 13:32:37

It's a brilliant idea! It's a completely necessary product to participate in society, much in the same way as toilet paper. If someone has been caught short or simply can't afford it, I am so pleased that this gap is being filled!

EstrellaDamn Fri 15-Mar-19 13:33:07

Our library is also where the foodbank is situated. So plenty of people in need use it.

I think also you aren't considering that a lot of women with young children probably use the library for a wide variety of reasons:

- to get out of the house for free
- because they can't put their heating on
- to get away from an abusive partner

If they can feel more comfortable while they're there, that's fucking brilliant as far as I'm concerned. And the kids can keep reading and loving books and learning.

Like you say, few people will use them. So the cost will be minimal, but the impact of the reassurance could be huge.

Toooldtocareanymore Fri 15-Mar-19 13:33:22

while I don't know if my library does this, to be honest I don't know if they even have a loo..they must, I am not surprised, as I know they do a lot of good work for the homeless in the area, the reading room usually has 3/4 old men, don't look like they have homes, as they come in the librarians always have an extra newspaper under counter for them to have, ive seen the librarians hand out odd cups of tea to people using internet computers, always makes me smile as its directly under large sign saying no food or drink, seen them give free top ups to credit on library cards to people printing job applications, maybe some people had to use facilities and were using all the loo paper and they thought this would help, and also id echo there are a lot of toddler events on maybe they are just trying to help young mums who don't need to walk another 15 mins to shops,

Treaclesweet Fri 15-Mar-19 13:34:34

You would prefer to have girls missing school because their parents can't afford to provide sanitary equipment for them?
There's absolutely no way this is government funded incidentally, you must know very little about the condition of our "welfare state" if you think it is!

Tinty Fri 15-Mar-19 13:35:19

That's a really good idea, if I was caught short, (which I can be, as I have an irregular cycle), that would be a godsend. I rarely have cash to purchase the san pro from a machine, I keep a five pound note in my phone case but most machines require coins. I would also then bring an unopened replacement pack next time I was in the library.

BlackPrism Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:00

If they put them in the cubicles they all get stolen at once

DemelzaPoldark Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:21

teens were shoplifting sanitary and personal hygiene products

This makes me so sad.

How about a bit of empathy??

Judystilldreamsofhorses Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:36

I teach in a college and every morning the cleaners fill up boxes of pads and tampons in each ladies' loo as they do their initial sign-off that everything is clean and tidy before the students arrive. I've previously had students ask me for products, or for painkillers, because they've been caught short, so this saves any embarrassment.

ivykaty44 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:39:02

Many libraries have benefits staff working and offering outreach services for homeless and other council services including food vouchers.

Why shouldn’t people be able to access these products when in need?

KOKOtiltomorrow Fri 15-Mar-19 13:41:30

Period poverty is a terrible thing but there should be some way of targeting those who need it most. I am in a well paid job as are my colleagues and the organisation has taken to putting very cheap sanitary products in the staff toilets. I would be very surprised if anyone using the loos needed free products but there will be lots of other women who need more and decent quality - not a pad that will be wet through in minutes. I always include good quality sanitary products when donating to the food bank.

dontfluffthefluffer Fri 15-Mar-19 13:43:11

Op - you are being so vvvvv u.

I love how this thread has turned such a negative post into something so reassuringly positive and supportive.

Those who need sanpro for whatever reason will be able to access them without shame or embarrassment in a warm and safe environment. Thats a win.

VanGoghsDog Fri 15-Mar-19 13:43:27

it seems the budget can accommodate free sanitary products for millions of women.
I am probably in the minority in thinking this is taking the welfare state too far.

How unpleasant.

It's not 'millions of women', it's a few women, of the age who menstruate, who go to the library, who use the loos, who also have no SanPro on a day they need it.

I would not be using this service, for example. But if I were in the loo and caught out, it would be nice to know there was an option.

One would hope it was only used by those in need.

And it could well be being provided by a charity or local scheme rather than council tax.

It's simply a kindness being offered, that's all.

NotACleverName Fri 15-Mar-19 13:44:00

Just opt out of periods, fellow women! No sanitary protection on my tax dollars!!!

Fuck the fuck off, you fucking goady fucker.

TheOrigFV45 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:49:20

You think the welfare state providing menstruating women with basic protection is taking it too far (not that the products in the library even come from the state)?

Where do you draw your line? Is providing food OK? Clothing? Shelter?

I hope I never get caught short and find your the only person around I need to ask for help!

ErickBroch Fri 15-Mar-19 13:51:03

YABVU. Ugh.

HoustonBess Fri 15-Mar-19 13:54:27

Quite right OP. I assume you'll be petitioning for them to take toilet paper and hand soap out of the toilets as well. People can just carry their own, right?

dogsdinnerlady Fri 15-Mar-19 13:55:31

As usual, this thread provides a platform for fair and reasonable exchanges of views. Patronising, simplistic arguments and self-righteous comments on here plus abusive name-calling.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »