Talk

Advanced search

Sanitary products in library

(218 Posts)
dogsdinnerlady Fri 15-Mar-19 12:55:22

On the back of the loo door in my library this morning is a poster offering free sanitary products for anyone who needs them. Just ask at the desk, it says. Really? Who is going to do that? I see schools are going to provide free pads and tampons for all pupils soon. With libraries closing to save money and schools having to ask parents to pay for books, it seems the budget can accommodate free sanitary products for millions of women.
I am probably in the minority in thinking this is taking the welfare state too far.

cherryblossomgin Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:33

Sometimes homeless people use the library they can struggle to buy sanitary products.

Sirzy Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:37

No woman should have to worry about getting sanitary protection. If knowing they can go to the library (or ask at school) means they don’t have to worry then great.

I don’t see how anyone can see it as a bad thing tbh

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:37

Period poverty is a very real thing. Women and girls are 51% of the population. Whilst I personally would say that books are a necessity they really aren't in comparison to sanitary products.

AnnieOH1 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:56

We have a local Lunar Box Project that sites free sanitary products in schools and similar places. It is run solely off donations from the public. Perhaps the library has been gifted a similar box?

OliviaBenson Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:58

YABU. Period poverty affects all ages. Libraries are also somewhere that those suffering poverty use and so it make sense to have them on offer if needed.

I agree that there are budget cuts all around, but that's a separate issue. It's not a race to the bottom.....

Mousetolioness Fri 15-Mar-19 12:59:47

It is very likely the products are being funded out of another pot and are not being paid for out of the library budget.

Bluestitch Fri 15-Mar-19 13:00:48

My county has this service, they rely on donations from the public. When people are being left waiting 5 weeks for payments through the switch to UC some people have literally no money. A library is a good base to provide this kind of service.

Hunter037 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:01:24

Our library does this and all the products are donated or bought from funds donated for that specific purpose. It doesnt come out of library funds.
Ours also have a small selection of products available in the loos in case someone doesn't want to ask.

33goingon64 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:02:14

This must be a joke.

33goingon64 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:02:46

As in, your response to free sanitary items must be a joke, OP.

Crazyfrog007 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:03:42

Oh FFS. YABVVVU. So free condoms is fine but, oh boy, free sanitary towels? That just crosses a line!

Theknacktoflying Fri 15-Mar-19 13:05:02

Welfare state? budget accommodating free sanitary products?.

Most public loos have ££££ sanitary products and condoms for sale

Good for them xx

KittyMarrion Fri 15-Mar-19 13:05:57

Some people really don't have a clue.

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Mar-19 13:06:55

It isn't coming out of the library's budget. Its provided by Charities.

Has the whole, red box/period poverty campaigns passed you by??

I'm happy to donate sanitary products, you'll find the bin close to the food bank collections.

Who would ask? Homeless/drug using/chaotic lifestyle/poor etc Women. Young Women who've been caught out and haven't got any money. Young Women who are being neglected or whose families are poor.

It's amazing that this wasn't thought of long ago and that food banks didn't have supplies. I'd like to see a continense service as well.
Why the resentment?

Welfare State? Have you any idea how little people are living on these days?

I pity any post Menopausal Woman (my situation) who has to live on the pittance. I have to die my hair, use a level of makeup, wear pads, take supplements, if I don't want to look like death warmed up. You couldn't do that on UC.

ToEarlyForDecorations Fri 15-Mar-19 13:08:57

There's a courtesy box with some tampons in it in the ladies toilet at my local library with a card saying help yourself.

It's also a benefit sign on place too. So that explains it if anyone has period poverty.

I also once worked for an organisation (totally unrelated to personal hygiene products) that had some, 'help yourself if you need to' tampons in the ladies room as a courtesy to female staff. Go figure.

CuppaSarah Fri 15-Mar-19 13:09:13

Ours has a box in a quiet corner, people drop stuff off or pick it up. It works brilliantly.

ShannonRockallMalin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:10:05

I’m a librarian. One of our libraries has recently started a service like this. It was started up by the police as they had noticed that teens were shoplifting sanitary and personal hygiene products. Anyone can donate sanpro, deodorant, toothpaste, even packs of underwear. Young people of either sex can discreetly request something by handing in a form.

It is not in any way funded by the library, it’s just that this particular library is very central in the town and is a neutral, accessible place that most kids would pass going to or from school. I think it’s a wonderful idea, but a sad thing that it is necessary.

Theknacktoflying Fri 15-Mar-19 13:10:33

Foodbanks also need goods like tampons, nappies, pads and other personal hygiene goods ..

strawberrypenguin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:13:36

My library is part of a Sanpro charity project. The library provide a collection point for donations and a collection point if anyone is in need.
The sanpro is all from donations not the library budget.
Libraries are a great place for this kind of thing as they are open and accessible to everyone.
Mine also has a food bank donation tub as well.

SherlockHolmes Fri 15-Mar-19 13:15:06

I work in a library and the amount of poverty and homelessness we see is shocking.

We offer free San Pro via a help yourself box in the corner. All of this comes from donations.

I suggest you watch I Daniel Blake OP. Might make you realise how the other half lives.

kaytee87 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:19:10

Exactly op, the poor can just bleed all over themselves - they're barely human after all.

ParkaPerson Fri 15-Mar-19 13:20:52

My library does this and I've used it. From another perspective, libraries often have events for young babies and parents e.g. nursery rhyme time etc. So a lot of new mums around. Anyone who has given birth knows that post partum bleeding / periods can be very unpredictable. I was once caught short and was very grateful. I popped back later with a donation. Being made to feel welcome in that way has certainly made me feel more confident about taking my young baby out.

pollyhampton Fri 15-Mar-19 13:22:04

Sanitary products are a necessity for women, not a luxury. And if you really can't see why libraries offering them is a good thing you must be a very very hard hearted person with no understanding

Princessmushroom Fri 15-Mar-19 13:22:07

You’re joking right? Someone always has to come and have a moan about a good thing.

I really hope your issue is about having to approach someone to ask for sanitary products.

QueenoftheBiscuitTin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:23:03

How is this a bad thing???

samsamsamsamsamsam Fri 15-Mar-19 13:27:10

You know like maybe people who are coming into the library for warmth? Homeless people? People who cant afford it otherwise?

KickAssAngel Fri 15-Mar-19 13:27:49

Do you object to them providing loo paper? Hand driers? doors on the toilets? Toilets? Chairs? Tables? Books?

Women can't stop a period or cross their legs or hold their breath and make it go away. It's a very real bodily function that women have to cope with and can't control.

Or are we supposed to just not have female bodies? I'll detach my reproductive system and leave it at the door, shall I?

CrazyOldBagLady Fri 15-Mar-19 13:28:41

Lovely idea. Nice to see a negative thread turn out positively in the end. So glad to hear libraries are offering this service.

BrightYellowDaffodil Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:44

YAB so very very U.

This is a good thing, not something to clutch your pearls over where the money comes from. If it bothers you, why don’t you find out how it’s funded? It’s almost certainly charitable donations and even if it isn’t, I couldn’t give one shiny shit that a tiny teeny proportion of funding is being used to give women sanitary products.

Get a fucking grip.

whitehalleve Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:48

YABU

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:30:57

It is provided by charities.
And homeless women often use libraries as a warm place to sit down.

dadap Fri 15-Mar-19 13:31:32

OP - did you mean who is going to ask at the desk? Meaning some women / Girls may not feel comfortable asking for them - that's more what I was thinking. Other than that I think it is a fantastic idea and only wish it had been around when I was a teenager without parental support and living on a very tight budget - with all the issues that come with very heavy periods.

BeefTomato Fri 15-Mar-19 13:32:37

It's a brilliant idea! It's a completely necessary product to participate in society, much in the same way as toilet paper. If someone has been caught short or simply can't afford it, I am so pleased that this gap is being filled!

EstrellaDamn Fri 15-Mar-19 13:33:07

Our library is also where the foodbank is situated. So plenty of people in need use it.

I think also you aren't considering that a lot of women with young children probably use the library for a wide variety of reasons:

- to get out of the house for free
- because they can't put their heating on
- to get away from an abusive partner

If they can feel more comfortable while they're there, that's fucking brilliant as far as I'm concerned. And the kids can keep reading and loving books and learning.

Like you say, few people will use them. So the cost will be minimal, but the impact of the reassurance could be huge.

Toooldtocareanymore Fri 15-Mar-19 13:33:22

while I don't know if my library does this, to be honest I don't know if they even have a loo..they must, I am not surprised, as I know they do a lot of good work for the homeless in the area, the reading room usually has 3/4 old men, don't look like they have homes, as they come in the librarians always have an extra newspaper under counter for them to have, ive seen the librarians hand out odd cups of tea to people using internet computers, always makes me smile as its directly under large sign saying no food or drink, seen them give free top ups to credit on library cards to people printing job applications, maybe some people had to use facilities and were using all the loo paper and they thought this would help, and also id echo there are a lot of toddler events on maybe they are just trying to help young mums who don't need to walk another 15 mins to shops,

Treaclesweet Fri 15-Mar-19 13:34:34

You would prefer to have girls missing school because their parents can't afford to provide sanitary equipment for them?
There's absolutely no way this is government funded incidentally, you must know very little about the condition of our "welfare state" if you think it is!

Tinty Fri 15-Mar-19 13:35:19

That's a really good idea, if I was caught short, (which I can be, as I have an irregular cycle), that would be a godsend. I rarely have cash to purchase the san pro from a machine, I keep a five pound note in my phone case but most machines require coins. I would also then bring an unopened replacement pack next time I was in the library.

BlackPrism Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:00

If they put them in the cubicles they all get stolen at once

DemelzaPoldark Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:21

teens were shoplifting sanitary and personal hygiene products

This makes me so sad.

How about a bit of empathy??

Judystilldreamsofhorses Fri 15-Mar-19 13:36:36

I teach in a college and every morning the cleaners fill up boxes of pads and tampons in each ladies' loo as they do their initial sign-off that everything is clean and tidy before the students arrive. I've previously had students ask me for products, or for painkillers, because they've been caught short, so this saves any embarrassment.

ivykaty44 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:39:02

Many libraries have benefits staff working and offering outreach services for homeless and other council services including food vouchers.

Why shouldn’t people be able to access these products when in need?

KOKOtiltomorrow Fri 15-Mar-19 13:41:30

Period poverty is a terrible thing but there should be some way of targeting those who need it most. I am in a well paid job as are my colleagues and the organisation has taken to putting very cheap sanitary products in the staff toilets. I would be very surprised if anyone using the loos needed free products but there will be lots of other women who need more and decent quality - not a pad that will be wet through in minutes. I always include good quality sanitary products when donating to the food bank.

dontfluffthefluffer Fri 15-Mar-19 13:43:11

Op - you are being so vvvvv u.

I love how this thread has turned such a negative post into something so reassuringly positive and supportive.

Those who need sanpro for whatever reason will be able to access them without shame or embarrassment in a warm and safe environment. Thats a win.

VanGoghsDog Fri 15-Mar-19 13:43:27

it seems the budget can accommodate free sanitary products for millions of women.
I am probably in the minority in thinking this is taking the welfare state too far.

How unpleasant.

It's not 'millions of women', it's a few women, of the age who menstruate, who go to the library, who use the loos, who also have no SanPro on a day they need it.

I would not be using this service, for example. But if I were in the loo and caught out, it would be nice to know there was an option.

One would hope it was only used by those in need.

And it could well be being provided by a charity or local scheme rather than council tax.

It's simply a kindness being offered, that's all.

NotACleverName Fri 15-Mar-19 13:44:00

Just opt out of periods, fellow women! No sanitary protection on my tax dollars!!!

Fuck the fuck off, you fucking goady fucker.

TheOrigFV45 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:49:20

You think the welfare state providing menstruating women with basic protection is taking it too far (not that the products in the library even come from the state)?

Where do you draw your line? Is providing food OK? Clothing? Shelter?

I hope I never get caught short and find your the only person around I need to ask for help!

ErickBroch Fri 15-Mar-19 13:51:03

YABVU. Ugh.

HoustonBess Fri 15-Mar-19 13:54:27

Quite right OP. I assume you'll be petitioning for them to take toilet paper and hand soap out of the toilets as well. People can just carry their own, right?

dogsdinnerlady Fri 15-Mar-19 13:55:31

As usual, this thread provides a platform for fair and reasonable exchanges of views. Patronising, simplistic arguments and self-righteous comments on here plus abusive name-calling.

HollaHolla Fri 15-Mar-19 13:56:26

You’d be screwed living in Scotland, then. We have free sanitary protection in toilets in schools, colleges and universities. People can even ask for full packs. We’ve had this since September 2018. As far as I’m aware, no institution has been bankrupted because of this.
I, for one, am really pleased that we have this service, so the no-one has to miss their opportunity to access education, due to menstruation.

SquigglySquaw Fri 15-Mar-19 13:59:43

YABU. I think this is a great idea! I'm lucky enough to be able to afford sanitary products and I 99% of the time have them on me. This is great for homeless women, women caught short, women that can't afford them, women that are embarrassed to ask someone they know.

BloodyDisgrace Fri 15-Mar-19 13:59:54

That is a great news, and I hope some people will ask at the library desk. Like someone said above, the homeless people. I suspect this initiative comes from the government announcement about schools providing free sanitary products. Maybe the libraries, as being a part of the budget, have some funds allocated for this, I don't know.

I think, given that some people have to spend 15-25quid a month on their periods (if they are heavy and/or long), and a lot can't afford that, plus the abominable situation of tax still existing on tampons/pads, this initiative, extended to libraries, is excellent.

Better still to end austerity (which makes people so poor they start thinking if they can afford this basic stuff)

GetStrongKeepFighting Fri 15-Mar-19 14:02:46

The only thing wrong with this initiative is the fact that a young girl or woman has to ask for them. Some don't want anyone to know it's the time of the month for them. Of course, baskets of them can't be left in the loos as there will always be people who waste them or take more than the one or two needed.

Ginkythefangedhellpigofdoom Fri 15-Mar-19 14:02:51

The whole point is it is not meant for women lucky enough to be able to afford sanitary protection it is for women who can not.

If women who can afford it choose to effectively steal from the poor then yes there will be an issue but hopefully those women would have enough morals to know better than that.

I grew up in a abusive house where I was only given access to only the cheapest sanitary protection which didn't actually work, (while mother had decent stuff) do you know how mortifying it is to use toilet paper because your too young to earn money to buy it yourself and you don't have an adult to ask?

By the sound of some of the opinions Iv heard on this subject some people have no fucking idea what the actual horrible reality of the world is for some people.

SnowyAlpsandPeaks Fri 15-Mar-19 14:05:23

At Christmas, whilst doing my Christmas shopping in a local national store, they had the local food bank outside requesting items. I bought 3 bags of food stuff and one full bag of sanitary towels and tampons all in different flows- super, normal etc. I went out and handed over the three food bags, and then said I had a bag of sanitary provision. The lady who took it off me said they were very grateful as a lot of their donations were coming from ‘older’ ladies and gentlemen and they tended not to include that in the shop, so they were short of it to hand out. I can imagine someone not being able to receive any in their bags, and the relief that they or their daughter could pop into a library to get some, must be a huge relief. It will also help to keep more girls in school during their period. So I’m all for it!

Chloemol Fri 15-Mar-19 14:06:26

Yes y are in the minority

Tomtontom Fri 15-Mar-19 14:07:10

As usual, this thread provides a platform for fair and reasonable exchanges of views. Patronising, simplistic arguments and self-righteous comments on here plus abusive name-calling.

In other words, "no one agrees with me so I'm throwing my toys out the pram".

Chloemol Fri 15-Mar-19 14:07:13

Yes you are in the minority

Lweji Fri 15-Mar-19 14:10:21

Are you afraid they'll start giving full boxes of tampons or pads?

Surely they'll just hand out a couple for emergencies.

Would you rather women had to ask other people around or walk around with blood stains?

GoldenHour Fri 15-Mar-19 14:14:53

Perhaps public toilets and toilet paper shouldn't be provided by that measure then? Why is it a step too far when it's for women?

Tomtontom Fri 15-Mar-19 14:18:11

@Lweji Ours gives out full packs. They're provided by a charity and their aim is to reach people in poverty.

clairethewitch70 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:19:05

What I think would be a good idea would be to give out to all girls in school a menstrual cup, which would last them a lot longer and good for the environment. As it would be given to all girls at a certain age, there would be no poverty stigma attached and would aid girls who cannot ask their parents.

Sweetpotatoaddict Fri 15-Mar-19 14:19:33

Wish our library had a public toilet. Aldi has the only one in our town.
Agree that sanpro should be available, however perhaps a toilet for changing it might be the first step.

KurriKurri Fri 15-Mar-19 14:21:23

Our library provides this service as well as a food bank service and a service where people can donate home knitted hats scarves and gloves for homeless people.
I contribute to all of these - they are all donated items. I always buy a pack of towels or tampons when I buy for the food bank.
It isn't the welfare state at all - I am ashamed that we have people living in such poverty in this country that they sleep rough or cannot afford basic items. Who would not want to help people in poverty ?
People in all sorts of situations use these facilities, women who have fled DV with their children and have nothing, people with mental health problems, young people who have fled abusive home situations and are living on the streets. There but for the grace of God go all of us.

The library manager is a friend of mine and she feels very strongly that the library is a central part of the community and that is hould be there to reach out to those in need, whether that is by providing emergency supplies, or just a warm place to shelter. She makes tea for anyone who comes in and people know they will be welcomed and given whatever assistance she can offer.

And of course - it shouldn't be necessary for women and girls to have to ask for free sanitary provisions, or for people to have to ask for food, because no one should be in poverty in a wealthy country like the UK, It is shameful.
But while there is a need, any place that tries to offer help, be it a library, a school, a church, (or even in my town some of the independent shops have free sanitary products) is to be encouraged and supported.

PCohle Fri 15-Mar-19 14:22:22

Trying to do a nice thing for women in need.

What bastards.

Yabbers Fri 15-Mar-19 14:24:04

Priorities. I'd happily sacrifice services so women can access protection if they need it.

If you were in a library and a woman leaked all over the chairs you'd presumably be bothered about that?

GinnyLane Fri 15-Mar-19 14:27:28

I have been asked by women for a spare tampon, pad or painkillers plenty of times, and it would never occur to me to say no if I could help. Why would I? And that's just women with whom I come into contact, why would I not want that help and assistance available to and for all women?

Shame on society that sanitary products are seen as less important, more taboo, than any other vital, lifeline good.

I have a feeling that the very people who most object to this service would be the first to complain about the dirty, disgusting, unhygienic women who dare bleed on themselves...

kaytee87 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:27:40

@clairethewitch70 that's a good idea but not all girls / woman want to or can use internal protection. I have only been able to use pads since my son was born 2.5 years ago.

Lweji Fri 15-Mar-19 14:29:37

Ours gives out full packs. They're provided by a charity and their aim is to reach people in poverty.

That's fine. But surely it won't be the millions of women the OP seems to think.
And if millions of women need free sanitary products, then there's something very wrong with the UK.

PositiveVibez Fri 15-Mar-19 14:32:19

Yabvu.

If men had periods ALL sanitary products would be free anyway.

I can't believe you think that free sanitary products could be a bad thing.

IHateUncleJamie Fri 15-Mar-19 14:32:30

Yep - a minority of one, at the moment.

Instead of pretending that we’re all attacking you, why not read the thread through with an open mind and think “Hmmm, maybe I am being unreasonable”. Or even donate some sanitary protection to the box in the library, or your local foodbank collection?

CheshireChat Fri 15-Mar-19 14:33:43

Fewer libraries would be closing if more people went in and used them anyway.

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:39:27

Yes how dare say homeless women be given free sanitary protection.

Birdie6 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:43:10

My library has a free dispenser for sanitary products - you don't even have to ask. These products are donated - it says so on the dispenser. I'm sure that many homeless women would use libraries since they are safe, warm and offer plenty of things to do. The provision of free sanitary products there, seems pretty sensible and civilised to me.

Atthebottomofthegarden Fri 15-Mar-19 14:43:46

What a good idea.

Our library doesn’t have a toilet and won’t let you use the staff one, even with young children. I get that librarians are not there to clean up the loos after horrible people leave a mess, but it’s a shame budget doesn’t stretch that far.

TwoRoundabouts Fri 15-Mar-19 14:45:31

OP is this because the vast majority of posters don't agree with you?

I worked in a few offices were there was a ladies loo on each floor where there was a basket with hairspray, sanitary protection, hair clips and a few other random bits for people to use. I thought it was a good idea so the last place where there was one I chucked in some tampons.

SilverySurfer Fri 15-Mar-19 14:47:52

YABVU - I can't see this as being anything other than a good thing. If you were homeless and/or had no money, wouldn't you want this to be available? Consider the alternative.

GoldenHour Fri 15-Mar-19 14:48:32

@Atthebottomofthegarden our library doesn't have public toilets because unfortunately they had issues of anti social behaviour: drug taking, drug selling (would leave cash/drugs above the ceiling tiles) sex etc. They don't have the staff resource to manage safely. It's not laziness in terms of cleaning (in this case at least).

CheshireChat Fri 15-Mar-19 14:53:25

I don't think anyone agreed with the OP.

NKFell Fri 15-Mar-19 14:53:36

No woman should have to worry about getting sanitary protection <--- THIS

and

Period poverty is a very real thing <--- THIS

YABVU OP

BikeRunSki Fri 15-Mar-19 14:54:50

The sanitary products will have been donated. There are several charities that do this.

Pinkbells Fri 15-Mar-19 14:55:13

Caring, aren't you OP?
The library, being a free, warm place in the community, is just the place for it. hmm

Pinkbells Fri 15-Mar-19 14:57:07

Are you a man?

Mummyoflittledragon Fri 15-Mar-19 15:04:16

Patronising, simplistic arguments
What you mean like your first post? You’ve had your arse handed to you and rightly so.

anniehm Fri 15-Mar-19 15:04:27

They have them at the library in the city centre but to be honest, most the users are homeless and vulnerably housed these days, been a huge shift in the 12 years I've been dropping things in for work. You no longer see children there.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 15-Mar-19 15:09:07

I was really puzzled by the thing about hospital wards providing san pro. We already do. Though they are horrible, so we tell parents to buy them from the chemist downstairs.

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 15:12:14

They don't for adults. When I was admitted as an emergency and my DP was still travelling from work, the ward had to give me a large incontinence pad as they said they did not have sanitary pads.

WolfhoundsofLove Fri 15-Mar-19 15:18:29

Quite right, OP. Down with kindness. Where will end, otherwise? Nip it in the bud right now I say.

2018SoFarSoGreat Fri 15-Mar-19 15:23:22

how lovely for you that you can take care of your sanitary needs. Not everyone is so fortunate.

bethy15 Fri 15-Mar-19 15:25:24

I noticed in my library a box that has been placed there for sanitary donations. I now give every time I go in as I think it's a good thing to help those who need it.

I would assume your library does what mine does, but if not, and they take it from their budget, it's a great thing to do.

Why do you care about people being helped?

BadTigerKitty Fri 15-Mar-19 15:33:30

I was caught by surprise with an early period recently in a London museum. I had to use the machine in the loo.

One pound for ONE sanitary towel.

It pained me to pay it, but I was stuck and had no other options. What if I didn't have a spare pound? Or if I had a pound to buy all my sp for the month and had to spend it all on one pad?

It actually made me think a lot about how desperately unfair it is that a normal bodily function that affects millions of people is not openly and respectfully catered for.

Gingerkittykat Fri 15-Mar-19 15:34:08

If you are in Scotland the scheme for free sanitary protection has just rolled out to libraries, leisure centres, community centres and other public buildings. It doesn't come out of library budgets, but out of the money the Scottish government has earmarked for it.

I think having to ask may put some young girls off, also I hope they give a full packet or packets of protection and not just one or two at a time.

PregnantSea Fri 15-Mar-19 15:38:40

I doubt the library are funding that themselves. Even if they are I don't see it as a bad thing

Alsohuman Fri 15-Mar-19 15:42:02

Begrudging women in period poverty sanpro must be about as low as it’s possible to sink.

Clarl Fri 15-Mar-19 15:45:39

Having them in the library is a great idea. My town have them in schools/colleges but that’s not enough to reach everyone who requires them.

flameycakes Fri 15-Mar-19 15:54:02

This would have been great when I was younger, we had to use rags and burn them on the fire x

TheKitchenWitch Fri 15-Mar-19 15:54:17

I hadn't heard of this but think it is a BRILLIANT idea. Absolutely fantastic. It should be made available in as many libraries as possible imo and more girls and women should know about it.
I cannot think of a single downside to it.

KickAssAngel Fri 15-Mar-19 15:56:31

Well, you know, give them an inch and they'll take a mile. Once women know they can get free things at the library, they won't just menstruate for 1 week a month, oh no. They'll start doing it all the bleedin' time, just to get the freebies.

Or not.

Meandmetoo Fri 15-Mar-19 16:00:32

Basic, no frills sanitary towels, which is what they will be, should be free anyway.

I take it you used your own tissue to wipe?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »