Talk

Advanced search

Sanitary products in library

(218 Posts)
dogsdinnerlady Fri 15-Mar-19 12:55:22

On the back of the loo door in my library this morning is a poster offering free sanitary products for anyone who needs them. Just ask at the desk, it says. Really? Who is going to do that? I see schools are going to provide free pads and tampons for all pupils soon. With libraries closing to save money and schools having to ask parents to pay for books, it seems the budget can accommodate free sanitary products for millions of women.
I am probably in the minority in thinking this is taking the welfare state too far.

cherryblossomgin Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:33

Sometimes homeless people use the library they can struggle to buy sanitary products.

Sirzy Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:37

No woman should have to worry about getting sanitary protection. If knowing they can go to the library (or ask at school) means they don’t have to worry then great.

I don’t see how anyone can see it as a bad thing tbh

WeepingWillowWeepingWino Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:37

Period poverty is a very real thing. Women and girls are 51% of the population. Whilst I personally would say that books are a necessity they really aren't in comparison to sanitary products.

AnnieOH1 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:56

We have a local Lunar Box Project that sites free sanitary products in schools and similar places. It is run solely off donations from the public. Perhaps the library has been gifted a similar box?

OliviaBenson Fri 15-Mar-19 12:57:58

YABU. Period poverty affects all ages. Libraries are also somewhere that those suffering poverty use and so it make sense to have them on offer if needed.

I agree that there are budget cuts all around, but that's a separate issue. It's not a race to the bottom.....

Mousetolioness Fri 15-Mar-19 12:59:47

It is very likely the products are being funded out of another pot and are not being paid for out of the library budget.

Bluestitch Fri 15-Mar-19 13:00:48

My county has this service, they rely on donations from the public. When people are being left waiting 5 weeks for payments through the switch to UC some people have literally no money. A library is a good base to provide this kind of service.

Hunter037 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:01:24

Our library does this and all the products are donated or bought from funds donated for that specific purpose. It doesnt come out of library funds.
Ours also have a small selection of products available in the loos in case someone doesn't want to ask.

33goingon64 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:02:14

This must be a joke.

33goingon64 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:02:46

As in, your response to free sanitary items must be a joke, OP.

Crazyfrog007 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:03:42

Oh FFS. YABVVVU. So free condoms is fine but, oh boy, free sanitary towels? That just crosses a line!

Theknacktoflying Fri 15-Mar-19 13:05:02

Welfare state? budget accommodating free sanitary products?.

Most public loos have ££££ sanitary products and condoms for sale

Good for them xx

KittyMarrion Fri 15-Mar-19 13:05:57

Some people really don't have a clue.

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Mar-19 13:06:55

It isn't coming out of the library's budget. Its provided by Charities.

Has the whole, red box/period poverty campaigns passed you by??

I'm happy to donate sanitary products, you'll find the bin close to the food bank collections.

Who would ask? Homeless/drug using/chaotic lifestyle/poor etc Women. Young Women who've been caught out and haven't got any money. Young Women who are being neglected or whose families are poor.

It's amazing that this wasn't thought of long ago and that food banks didn't have supplies. I'd like to see a continense service as well.
Why the resentment?

Welfare State? Have you any idea how little people are living on these days?

I pity any post Menopausal Woman (my situation) who has to live on the pittance. I have to die my hair, use a level of makeup, wear pads, take supplements, if I don't want to look like death warmed up. You couldn't do that on UC.

ToEarlyForDecorations Fri 15-Mar-19 13:08:57

There's a courtesy box with some tampons in it in the ladies toilet at my local library with a card saying help yourself.

It's also a benefit sign on place too. So that explains it if anyone has period poverty.

I also once worked for an organisation (totally unrelated to personal hygiene products) that had some, 'help yourself if you need to' tampons in the ladies room as a courtesy to female staff. Go figure.

CuppaSarah Fri 15-Mar-19 13:09:13

Ours has a box in a quiet corner, people drop stuff off or pick it up. It works brilliantly.

ShannonRockallMalin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:10:05

I’m a librarian. One of our libraries has recently started a service like this. It was started up by the police as they had noticed that teens were shoplifting sanitary and personal hygiene products. Anyone can donate sanpro, deodorant, toothpaste, even packs of underwear. Young people of either sex can discreetly request something by handing in a form.

It is not in any way funded by the library, it’s just that this particular library is very central in the town and is a neutral, accessible place that most kids would pass going to or from school. I think it’s a wonderful idea, but a sad thing that it is necessary.

Theknacktoflying Fri 15-Mar-19 13:10:33

Foodbanks also need goods like tampons, nappies, pads and other personal hygiene goods ..

strawberrypenguin Fri 15-Mar-19 13:13:36

My library is part of a Sanpro charity project. The library provide a collection point for donations and a collection point if anyone is in need.
The sanpro is all from donations not the library budget.
Libraries are a great place for this kind of thing as they are open and accessible to everyone.
Mine also has a food bank donation tub as well.

SherlockHolmes Fri 15-Mar-19 13:15:06

I work in a library and the amount of poverty and homelessness we see is shocking.

We offer free San Pro via a help yourself box in the corner. All of this comes from donations.

I suggest you watch I Daniel Blake OP. Might make you realise how the other half lives.

kaytee87 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:19:10

Exactly op, the poor can just bleed all over themselves - they're barely human after all.

ParkaPerson Fri 15-Mar-19 13:20:52

My library does this and I've used it. From another perspective, libraries often have events for young babies and parents e.g. nursery rhyme time etc. So a lot of new mums around. Anyone who has given birth knows that post partum bleeding / periods can be very unpredictable. I was once caught short and was very grateful. I popped back later with a donation. Being made to feel welcome in that way has certainly made me feel more confident about taking my young baby out.

pollyhampton Fri 15-Mar-19 13:22:04

Sanitary products are a necessity for women, not a luxury. And if you really can't see why libraries offering them is a good thing you must be a very very hard hearted person with no understanding

Princessmushroom Fri 15-Mar-19 13:22:07

You’re joking right? Someone always has to come and have a moan about a good thing.

I really hope your issue is about having to approach someone to ask for sanitary products.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »