Talk

Advanced search

Is this a bra or a crop top???

(164 Posts)
TheMuminator2 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:09:31

Can't decide. Looks like a bra but passes for a crop top as it is en vogue.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcDTdjFOw2s
www.news.com.au/travel/travel-advice/flights/woman-in-crop-top-threatened-to-be-kicked-off-thomas-cook-flight/news-story/6145a7ed3e17ae51ef885618513ee965

Thomas Cook have since apologized to the girl saying they could have handled things better.
Woukd you be offended?

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Sat 16-Mar-19 14:12:03

lweiji

Maybe

I base this on shopping with dd and I certainly wouldnt be checking out the bra department for clothes for her grin

But women do seem to wear sports crop tops to the gym which are obviously reinforced...so maybe its partly that as well

Aridane Sat 16-Mar-19 12:36:33

What she was wearing is a standard outfit, especially in Tenerife

... but she wasn’t in Tenerife/ on a beach / in a club...

Lweji Sat 16-Mar-19 08:58:52

Its a bralet and would have been sold in the outerwear areas of fashion shops.

Really? Maybe it's because I'm not in the UK, but I've only seen it advertised as underwear.

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Sat 16-Mar-19 08:27:44

bubble

I think its a generational thing

Its a bralet and would have been sold in the outerwear areas of fashion shops.

MistressDeeCee Sat 16-Mar-19 01:12:22

Hate the tone of this interview. It's very 'young Vs older' isn't it. As if that's even the point, it's not an age thing.

Phil sounds as if he doesn't believe what he's saying, just trying to be sensationalist. His comments about Speedos...well then if she can wear that bra, why can't a man wear Speedos and call them shorts?

That's not a crop top it's a bra, at a push you could call it a bikini top. But looks like a bra to me and Ms Attention Seeker I guess is doing nicely out of all this publicity. Hope it bodes well for her.

Loads of places have a dress code, it's nothing new.

Hearing about this for the past few days I thought when they said 'young' they meant a teenager...

I'm wearing a t-shirt right now, I may decide in a moment that it's a sequinned leotard🙄

Bubblegumgal Fri 15-Mar-19 23:35:00

It’s bothering me how many people are commenting ‘it’s a bra’ it’s clearly a bralette! This is going to sound offensive but I wonder if the perception of her top is a generational thing? I see girls wearing bralettes all the time, not once have I thought it was inappropriate; it’s just fashion.

bridgetreilly Fri 15-Mar-19 22:57:26

If you have to ask whether something is underwear or not, then imo, it's not appropriate to wear in public places.

onthenaughtystepagain Fri 15-Mar-19 22:20:12

I bet she was bloody freezing on the plane

Then she would be demanding that no-one had their air-con on!

ImNotTheDramaLlamaHere Fri 15-Mar-19 21:42:23

Meh, I couldn't care less. I show more than that breastfeeding 😂
Think the flight staff should get a life and worry about more important things... like safety!

Virginiaplain1 Fri 15-Mar-19 20:06:17

A while back I had the misfortune to fly from London to Munich in the company of a group of rowdy, drunken (at 8.00 am) rugby supporters. One of their number was dressed only in trainers, glasses and running shorts (the short, loose variety) I had to sit next to him. It was horrible to be sat next to a nearly naked stranger, thank god he was quite thin so his flesh did not come into contact with mine. All through the flight I seethed at him, his gobby mates, and the EasyJet crew, who had let them on board and did nothing to shut them up. No chance of my moving, the flight was full. I had seen him in the queue at the gate and was amazed that he had been allowed to board dressed as he was. He was not indecent, but his clothing was certainly inappropriate, as was this woman's. Both were dressed for the beach, not for a flight.

cjpark Fri 15-Mar-19 19:23:26

Its a bralette. I think she looks fine - not my choice but certainly not inappropriate. I would rather see her than the slogan tee shirts worn by stag / hen parties travelling- I'm looking at you Gobbling Gaby from Birmingham.

Jimmers Fri 15-Mar-19 19:08:17

@Cheby
“Doesn’t matter what it was. She wasn’t indecent. She was covered. She’s right, policing her clothes like that is outright misogyny.”

^This.

Purpleartichoke Fri 15-Mar-19 18:48:14

It’s a bra.

She should also be free to wear it. I think it’s tacky and somewhat unattractive, but I support her right to wear what makes her comfortable. My opinion of the outfit is irrelevant.

Totaldogsbody Fri 15-Mar-19 18:40:55

The top was revealing but not inappropriate, she was going on holiday. What was inappropriate was that the airline staff let her be abused by a fellow passenger and did nothing about that. If a member of staff had been abused like that the culprit would have been removed from the flight. Definite double standards.

sushisuperstar Fri 15-Mar-19 17:29:25

Can't see the big deal. It's rude noisy people and seat kickers who drive me mad, wouldnt bat an eyelid about what someone was wearing. Has no impact on me whatsoever.

BeanTownNancy Fri 15-Mar-19 17:11:06

I don't actually care how much or little clothing other people are wearing, except to say that I don't think the attire is appropriate for a flight, in that it would offer very little protection on the case of emergency disembarkation via an emergency slide if such action was necessary - she would have nasty friction burns all down her back. She would also likely be quite uncomfortable if they dropped the temperature - for those reasons I think the cabin crew (who are ultimately responsible for the comfort and safety of their passengers) would have not been inappropriate to advise her to wear a more substantial top.
Telling her that her outfit might offend other passengers on the other hand is pathetic.
Her claiming this was the "worst thing that had ever happened to her" and then choosing to wear the same outfit on her return flight dramatically reduced any sympathy I might have felt for her. But I don't necessarily disagree with her point.

Megan2018 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:25:16

@BitchQueen90
Oh do sod off

BitchQueen90 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:21:07

@Megan2018 if you're so horrified at the idea of "bare skin" next to you would you also complain about someone wearing a short sleeved t-shirt? Are only long sleeves acceptable? Or is it because she's showing a bit of shock horror cleavage?

Lweji Fri 15-Mar-19 16:07:58

There's no right answer. Where do you draw the line at what is acceptable to wear where?

I'm fine in a bikini top at the beach, might wear one in a local beach supermarket, but wouldn't go on a plane or to work with it. Why?

Rufusthebewilderedreindeer Fri 15-Mar-19 16:04:14

It isnt underwear its a bralet

Its sold as outerwear in loads of fashion shops

Some bralets have more material than others...like all tops

Ive also seen then described as a vest top and crop top

Beautifullycalm Fri 15-Mar-19 15:33:56

I think she looks lovely and it wouldn’t bother me at all. I’m 58 by the way - judged by previous poster as in the pear clutcher age group. Why do some posters have to be so ageist?

anniehm Fri 15-Mar-19 15:29:14

It's a bralette, and is underwear, ok with a jacket over the top or on the beach. I would refuse to take my DD's out if they came downstairs in just that as a top (unless it was clubbing)

ooItsAoBeautifulDayNow Fri 15-Mar-19 15:21:39

Motives?! LOLZ come off it. Even if she has made money out of it, so what? She absolutely didn't go out to cause the situation or she would have worn something far more outrageous!

I really don't think people realise how much money people get offered for interviews and pics by the press.

If I was her age, felt confident to discuss what a ridiculous situation I felt it was especially after receiving an official spooky then fuck me, id have taken £5k/£10k+ to do so in the original outfit.

Her only motive is making the most of a situation out of her control. Good on her!

TruffleShuffles Fri 15-Mar-19 15:19:36

For all the people who said she should have followed the dress code and covered up be able to point me in the direction of Thomas Cooks policy as I don’t seem to be able to find one.

AryaStarkWolf Fri 15-Mar-19 15:11:37

The fact she chose to wear it AGAIN on national telly shows her motives

Presumably they asked her to wear it again as the whole interview was about that outfit and whether or not it was acceptable?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »