Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to doubt some threads? What percent do you think are genuine?

(20 Posts)
TheMuminator2 Fri 15-Mar-19 11:49:29

100%? 75?......

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:00:37

Yes I wonder this sometimes

teyem Fri 15-Mar-19 12:08:22

I think once you get off the high traffic boards most threads are genuine. So, I think about 95% are genuine.

I think it feels worse than it is because you are more likely to have contributed to a troll thread because of its emotional pull.

Drogosnextwife Fri 15-Mar-19 12:12:08

I wonder sometimes, I think you can tell from the way a post is written. Apparently your not allowed to say you don't believe it because it's troll hunting confused. I think on AIBU only about 50-60% are genuine.

Yabbers Fri 15-Mar-19 12:13:42

Some days it’s ridiculous. More worrying that often they are left when it’s clear they are trolling and they can run on for weeks and weeks. But dare anyone call it out and it’s instaban!

SoupDragon Fri 15-Mar-19 12:15:02

I report loads. I also CBA to report loads.

It's ridiculous. So many are obvious trolls or jounprnalists fishing for content.

x2boys Fri 15-Mar-19 12:17:30

I usually have a look on Redditt if I think something's not genuine they are usually spot on but agree with them as a from aibu etc threads are more likely to be genuine

x2boys Fri 15-Mar-19 12:17:53

teyem*

Doyoumind Fri 15-Mar-19 12:17:55

I agree, on certain boards the vast majority are genuine. Others attract trolls. It's not just OPs that can be trolls though. Plenty turn up mid-thread.

TixieLix Fri 15-Mar-19 12:19:48

Some days you get two or three posts appear that are very similar in content and I often wonder if they're coming from students (uni/journalistic) who have been set an assignment and see MN as a tool to do a bit of free research.

x2boys Fri 15-Mar-19 12:20:59

I think often threads have a grain of truth in them ,but the more replys someone gets the more outlandish the Op gets ,especially in long running threads ,some are complete Bollocks from the start of course

Drogosnextwife Fri 15-Mar-19 12:21:12

Yabbers
Yes I got a warning for saying I didn't believe a post. I did no troll hunting and I wasn't the only one who said it yet they deleted my post!

ooItsAoBeautifulDayNow Fri 15-Mar-19 12:22:58

I think while real, a huge percentage of posters air their concerns / problems and want to hear everything will be ok but not take advice or change things at their end.

Frustrating sometimes for those who reply thoughtfully but are batted back with OPs just continuing to ask the question they want to hear yes to until someone gives them the "right" answer even if it's 99/100 posts saying the opposite.

But they don't owe us anything so I guess it's silly of me to feel frustrated!

cantbearsed1 Fri 15-Mar-19 12:23:50

The improbably live update ones annoy me.
Help I am stuck up in a loft, the ladder has fallen away and my toddler is alone downstairs by herself. Followed by numerous updates, all moving very quickly.

badlydrawnperson Fri 15-Mar-19 12:24:12

2%

caughtinanet Fri 15-Mar-19 12:25:00

There must be 100s of threads started every day, my guess is that nearly all of them are genuine.

Haveacupofcoffee Fri 15-Mar-19 12:31:08

Actual bull shit posts I think are rare.

Posts where the gist of it is true but lots of details are changed are probably more common, but the OP slipping up when trying to remember what they’ve put, or other posters advance searching and picking up on whether the OP was married/a teacher/had a daughter last time etc makes them look fake.

MoeAnna Fri 15-Mar-19 12:33:01

I've had some crazy things happen in my life. Had some unusual relationships and had Eastenders style drama that I KNOW if I posted about it wouldn't be believed.

So I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt as weird and dramatic shit does happen IRL.

TheQueef Fri 15-Mar-19 12:35:04

Not including AIBU I would estimate a 75% true. Add aibu and under 10% genuine.

ShabbyAbby Fri 15-Mar-19 12:43:20

I've had to prove I'm real a few times but then my life is pretty unbelievable at times. I'm sure there are some hmm faces irl

Some of us really do have lives that make soap operas look realistic, though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: