Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone persuade me to get a toilet brush?

(64 Posts)
Crazycleaninglady Fri 15-Mar-19 11:06:14

I've never owned a toilet brush and I hate the idea of them. Something that you clean the toilet with just hanging around the house.

But my new toilet seems to catch the poo envyenvyenvy << sick not envy

I know this has probably been done to death but can anyone persuade me that loo brushes are fine and necessary.

stayathomer Fri 15-Mar-19 18:07:28

I think they're a necessary evil. I shudder at them and as someone said, clean by dipping in when it has cleaning fluid in, but still. Ew

Gronky Fri 15-Mar-19 18:09:50

I use spray bleach designed for mould removal. It eliminates any nasty marks without any physical contact (I'm not confident/nosy enough to interrogate anyone but I'm fairly sure that the dietary choices of one regular guest results in their leavings being akin to glue).

TheNoodlesIncident Fri 15-Mar-19 18:10:30

I have a really smart Brabantia one that matches the bin. I do wipe off any marks left with loo roll, flush it then use toilet cleaner and give it a scrub with the brush. Then the brush gets rinsed clean.

I'm not over fussed on making sure my toilet is sterile, it only gets bodily waste in it so clean-looking is fine for me. The worst thing is limescale which discolours, bleach doesn't get rid of that.

I don't get the vitriol aimed at bathroom equipment like bins and loo brushes, they are functional items that can be kept decent and make bathroom use easier imo.

Tensixtysix Fri 15-Mar-19 18:10:47

I'm a cleaner and one house has 4 loos! And not ONE toilet brush.
Only contracted every two weeks and in that time the house owner does not clean any of the 'stuck' mess.
Don't know how they don't vom!
I had to get myself one of those sticks with a cleaning pad on the end as I was fed up of putting my whole hand down in there...
Boak!

Gronky Fri 15-Mar-19 18:15:50

The worst thing is limescale which discolours, bleach doesn't get rid of that.

This is because bleach is basic. You can remove it with an acidic limescale remover (lemon juice/vinegar would work but they're not thick enough to stay on the vertical surfaces where limescale generally accumulates so a dedicated cleaner will perform better.

Be very careful : bleach and acids should never be mixed as they will release chlorine gas. Make sure you flush the loo a couple of times if you're going to add one after using the other.

Canshopwillshop Fri 15-Mar-19 18:18:27

It’s fine, top tip from another poster on this subject a few years ago recommended that you just stick it in the dishwasher when it needs a clean 😂🤮
Think I’ll stick to my toilet duck fresh brush though.

Gronky Fri 15-Mar-19 18:27:12

that you just stick it in the dishwasher when it needs a clean

I thought, for a minute, that you meat the whole toilet bowl. It's been a long week grin.

RingPiece Fri 15-Mar-19 18:33:07

Toilet bowls should be exactly that, a big bowl or bucket in which the shit can just drop into the water without clinging to the sides. Someone should invent a non-stick surface like a saucepan, so even diarrhoea can't cling.

VioletCharlotte Fri 15-Mar-19 18:34:11

They're gross, but I'm not sure how you would keep the toilet clean and skid free without one 🤢

I buy the cheap ones from Ikea and change them regularly. I clean them by soaking them in bleach in the toilet.

AutovillaGirl Fri 15-Mar-19 20:18:40

I don't know how people manage without a loo brush! I squirt a bit of bleach on mine and scrub around the loo every day. The mistake some people make is thinking the loo brush is there to scrub away any poo marks - don't! First squirt a bit of bleach on the poo mark and it will dissolve it away in a few minutes. Then flush then scrub around with the bit of bleach on the brush. This way your brush will stay relatively clean. Just buy cheap ones - £2 a time from Wilko or Tesco and replace about every three months or so.

FascinatingCarrot Fri 15-Mar-19 20:28:26

Hubby promised he would clean the loo if we binned the brush. He didnt.
I use the toilet duck refillable clip on thing and its really good. Sort of feel guilty about the plastic use, but its gotta be better than buying a 50p bog brush every couple of weeks.

PinkieTuscadero Fri 15-Mar-19 20:36:23

I have a silicone one. They're better as they don't accumulate shit particles like traditional bristly brushes do.

hdh747 Fri 15-Mar-19 20:50:00

I clean the loo with the brush. Then clean the brush in the loo. Give it a good shake, then leave it trapped under the loo seat, over the loo, to drip dry before I but it back in it's pot.
But I wish I could have my old loo back, all these modern square and/or shallow bottomed loos get skids at every use. It looked so nice in the showroom but it's a pain in the proverbial.

MitziK Fri 15-Mar-19 21:08:20

It's all very well using gloves and a non scratch scourer on skids, but there are times where somebody buys posh bog roll, but then goes on to use about twenty sheets for his shits and wonders why the pan start to fill alarmingly deeply. A brush gets that monstrosity to flush with a couple of pokes and more to the point, he does it himself, rather than asking me how to deal with it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »