Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone persuade me to get a toilet brush?

(64 Posts)
Crazycleaninglady Fri 15-Mar-19 11:06:14

I've never owned a toilet brush and I hate the idea of them. Something that you clean the toilet with just hanging around the house.

But my new toilet seems to catch the poo envyenvyenvy << sick not envy

I know this has probably been done to death but can anyone persuade me that loo brushes are fine and necessary.

RubyRedBerry Fri 15-Mar-19 13:57:04

I don't have one, my ex use to use it then shove it back in the holder covered in poo....seriously. I make do with bleach, if it needs a good scrub i put on a pair of rubber gloves and get stuck in...

bumblingbovine49 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:57:41

We use loo roll to remove marks above the water line which should be removed immediately before they dry.. Anything below the wateime shifts by adding cleaner and letting it sit.for.a while. I use gloves and a cloth to clean around the upper bit regularly and wash bathroom.cloths at 90deg.

Loo brushes just seem disgusting to me though I accept I.am.probably bonkers on this . Weird really as I am really really am not that fussy about cleaning (think no ironing, towels washed every couple.of weeks and bed clothes changed every 2-3 weeks at most) just used loo brushes make me feel a bit sick.so I don't have any.

HappyDinosaur Fri 15-Mar-19 13:58:44

I don't understand the hate, it cleans the toilet, then you clean it. The same as the cloth you'd use otherwise to clean the toilet, except you don't have to put your hand down there. Personally I find the thought of an unscrubbed toilet more disgusting, but it's each to their own.

SmarmyMrMime Fri 15-Mar-19 13:59:14

What Sleeping said!

I'm not sticking my hand down mine or anyone else's loo to get rid of the claggy clinging lumps (thanks son for always timing it so it goes crusty before I find it envy) or the streaks under water. Much better to use a reusable bleached brush that doesn't stink because of the bleach and being rinsed after use. It just sits in its own pot next to its toilet.

Much nicer as a guest when the tools for dealing with the aftermath of an IBS attack are provided. Very embarasing for all if no toilet brush or bleach are provided. I'm not going to rub poo around the loo with disintegrating toilet roll! confused

funnystory Fri 15-Mar-19 14:02:08

Like @grincheux I have discovered the disposable toilet duck ones where you clip on a pad, give it a good scrub and then just flush the pad down the loo.

badlydrawnperson Fri 15-Mar-19 14:06:39

I find the abhorrence of toilet brushes on here a bit mental!
Me too

Simonfromharlow Fri 15-Mar-19 14:15:32

I have a great silicone one. The pot is designed so it's not sitting in gross water and i leave it to soak in the toilet bowl with some bleach or toilet cleaner to clean it.

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 15-Mar-19 14:23:20

I have one of these www.wilko.com/en-uk/toilet-duck-toilet-fresh-brush-starter-kit/p/0458707

GirlsBlouse17 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:24:14

Get cheap brush and replace it once a month

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 15-Mar-19 14:25:02

Ooops poster too soon!

What I was going to say is that I have nothing against toilet brushes. I have never owned one but find the toilet dick fresh brush does a great job.

BlackeyedPetitsPois Fri 15-Mar-19 14:25:52

Not dick!!! Meant DUCK 🦆

KTD27 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:26:52

blackeyed toilet dick grin

GirlsBlouse17 Fri 15-Mar-19 14:28:17

toilet dick fresh brush does a great job grin

BarbaraofSevillle Fri 15-Mar-19 14:28:44

Get cheap brush and replace it once a month

Why??

Just because something is cheap enough to be considered to be disposable, doesn't mean that you should treat it as disposable. As long as it is used and cleaned properly, ie rinsed in the toilet, a years old toilet brush will be no dirtier than a nearly new one.

And so what if it isn't spotless, the only surface it touches is inside the toilet and no-one touches that surface, so why would it matter if any germs are transferred?

Beansandcoffee Fri 15-Mar-19 14:29:46

My teenage boys are trained to clean the skid marks immediately with toilet paper. There is no way I would expect their future wives to clean the toilet after their use.

My DP is trained to clean his own skids. I was not born into this world to clean my DP skids when he is quite capable of going it.

Toilet brushes are a waste of plastic. Even the £1 ones are made of plastic. Think of the landfill sites. Just use loo paper and was your hands afterwards.

HailEdmundLordofAddersBlack Fri 15-Mar-19 14:33:45

A loo brush sits next to the toilet in its own little pot that is normally decently sealed. It spends its life brushing poo but also being dipped in neat bleach and having a scrub in water afterwards.

Unless people are using it for their teeth, having it swinging from the ceiling or kept on the floor outside of its pot then I just DON'T understand why anyone thinks it is terribly unhygienic.

missymayhemsmum Fri 15-Mar-19 14:34:13

A toilet brush and elbow grease and maybe a squirt of green cleaner occasionally is the only eco-responsible way to clean a toilet. All you lot with your bleach, replacing brushes, extra flushes, disposable cloths are just creating landfill/ wasting water/ polluting the sewer system.

areyoubeingserviced Fri 15-Mar-19 14:34:32

Don’t buy them
They are grim

Babdoc Fri 15-Mar-19 14:34:41

Surely a loo brush that lasts for years is more environmentally friendly than flushing toxic bleach down the loo into our rivers and eventually the sea?
DD has a Blade loo brush that claims to be made entirely of bactericidal material, so she feels it’s not “dirty” sitting beside the loo between uses. Mine has a closed container and gets rinsed before being put back in. It’s never caused a problem.

HailEdmundLordofAddersBlack Fri 15-Mar-19 14:36:49

* Toilet brushes are a waste of plastic. Even the £1 ones are made of plastic. Think of the landfill sites. Just use loo paper and was your hands afterwards.*

Agree but my loo brushes normally go for a few years. They aren't smelly and they aren't grim either.

CookPassBabtridge Fri 15-Mar-19 14:38:00

I don't understand how anyone cleans without one!

SilverySurfer Fri 15-Mar-19 14:42:58

If you would prefer to plunge your hand in the loo go right ahead because I don't find bleach removes every mark. Nor do I replace my loo brush every month - total waste of money and bad for environment. It's perfectly possible to keep the brush clean.

Gintonic Fri 15-Mar-19 14:46:00

I'll tell you a story, an ex of mine had a disgusting toilet. It was all brown below the waterline. I mentioned it to him, he said he cleaned it regularly but nothing got it clean, the toilet was just permanently stained.

When he moved out of the place (it was rented) I went round to help him clean. I popped some cleaner in the loo, gave it a scrub and bingo, it was all shiny white again.

It turned out he had never used the brush, he had just put the cleaner down and expected it to do the job by itself. Clearly this had not worked.

That toilet was brown for years. Boke.

holly1501 Fri 15-Mar-19 16:12:10

I know for a fact no one uses our loo brush other than me. No one would ever think or bother to pick it up that's why. I use it correctly, so therefore i'm quite comfortable with having a loo brush as I know its clean.

Fluffyears Fri 15-Mar-19 18:04:28

As long as you clean them (I put bleach in the pan and stand the brush in it for a while every week) then it’s not disgusting. MIL thought they were disgusting but used those toilet sets, you know the wee carpet thing in the floor round The base! Vile!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »