Talk

Advanced search

To ask you about the FIAT 500?

(200 Posts)
Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:07:23

Just wondering if anybody has one and if you would recommend it?

Jupiters Fri 15-Mar-19 10:14:56

I've got one, it's the Lounge Sports edition. I love it! But this does come with the disclaimer that I tend to only do city driving in it. I have taken it on the motorway and it was fine, but if I drove serious miles I probably would want something a little more powerful. If you want a little runaround it's great.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 15-Mar-19 10:16:26

Only ever had one as a courtesy car and also s cabriolet as a hire car on holiday. I love little quirky cars (used to have a Beatle) now I have to have a boring mum car with a big boot. I like the 500 but it depends what you're comparing it to, I liked it more than my Suzuki swift but less than my Citroen c2 vtr (very nippy for a tiny car) , definitely liked it less than my Beatle which was wonderful other than for reverse parking and fuel consumption.
They're easy on fuel, great for city driving, easy to park, cheap tax and insurance. Tiny back seat and boot. They don't have the solid quality of a Beatle or a mini, but fun to drive and I like the look. If I was childless I'd consider one

hula008 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:19:27

I used to do long distance, motorway, hill driving, city driving and it's fine for all. It's a bit small but it is what it is. I loved mine but needed something bigger.

AnneOfCleanTables Fri 15-Mar-19 10:20:08

I had one a few years ago and just got another one (a convertible this time). It's great for city driving. The boot is fine for everyday use.
Driving-wise, it's poor on steep hills and feels less stable than a Mini. But it's fun to drive and quite nippy.

ranoutofquinoaandprosecco Fri 15-Mar-19 10:20:35

I had one with 3 small kids mainly drove around town and it was great. I did think it was style over substance though. I've swopped for a mini convertible and love that!

Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:20:40

Thank you.

Comparing it to nothing as it will be a first car for a single DC, definitely more city than motorway, although I am sure they will want to do the occasional long distance.

RiddleyW Fri 15-Mar-19 10:20:53

There was a thread on here recently about how you can't put 4 adults in it and get up a hill.

Neverender Fri 15-Mar-19 10:21:27

I loved mine

sackrifice Fri 15-Mar-19 10:24:21

I've had two.

In fact I only got rid of my last one as I got a company car option and the lights going cross country on the Fiat 500 were pretty bad so I got a company car instead.

i've driven loads of miles in them though, and really love them.

Tonightstheteriyakichicken Fri 15-Mar-19 10:27:41

It's a great little car but if the driver is 6ft and over they might not get the comfiest driving position.

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Mar-19 10:29:46

"There was a thread on here recently about how you can't put 4 adults in it and get up a hill."

Two of those Adults were 16-20 stone each and they wanted to fill the boot with heavy shopping as well. The OP said she felt as though the car was struggling.

As said, if you need to do lots of motorway milage, or are going to carry excess loads, then there are better choices.

Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:30:06

There was a thread on here recently about how you can't put 4 adults in it and get up a hill.

Haha I suspect that would be the 0.9 and the 1.2 version would cope just fine!

Backwoodsgirl Fri 15-Mar-19 10:30:12

DH had a rental one for work, he called it a pregnant roller skate.

They are ok if you like small cars, I would question the reliability of anything FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow)

marialuisa Fri 15-Mar-19 10:30:16

We looked at one for DD’s first car but ended up going with a mini as it felt a bit more substantial. She needs to drive on busy dual carriageways regularly and the mini felt like it had a bit more power if needing to get past a lorry or something.

Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:30:51

It's a great little car but if the driver is 6ft and over they might not get the comfiest driving position.

About 5'5" grin

madmother1 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:35:35

I LOVE mine. I feel very liberated in my mid 50's to own one. It doesn't hold all the shopping in the boot, but I just use the rest of the car. It's a joy to potter around. I have a half hour commute and drive st 70 mph on the fact dual carriage ways. It's a1.2. Go for it!! What are you going to call it?

ShaggyRug Fri 15-Mar-19 10:36:23

I’ve had FIAT’s for the last 17 years. Two Fiats lasted me all that time and they were fantastically reliable cars. Repairs when rarely needed were nearly always small and cheap parts.

madmother1 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:37:16

Fast not fact!

Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:37:47

They are ok if you like small cars, I would question the reliability of anything FIAT (Fix It Again Tomorrow)

Years ago perhaps, but with a new modern car I don't think FIAT is a bigger risk than any other brand tbh.

Sgtmajormummy Fri 15-Mar-19 10:38:15

I had a Fiat 500 X (so, supposedly extra large!) as a hire car and hated it. Very little space inside for two adults and a 10yo. Three cabin bags filled the boot, it had a huge dent along the side so obviously the previous rental had problems driving it, and I managed to damage a tyre wall in a car park because of bad visibility.
And to make matters worse, the satnav didn’t know where Gatwick airport was, even when we put in the post code!
We were thinking of getting a 500 as a retirement runabout, but not after that!

Mermaidkisses Fri 15-Mar-19 10:38:40

I have the 1.2 lounge edition and adore it!! I drive around 50 miles a day too and from work and its very economical. Not only that but its cute as a button and quirky with a lovely retro feel to the interior smile

Birdsgottafly Fri 15-Mar-19 10:39:25

X post.

It's been recommended to my DD as a first car. My DD's insurance, third party-fire and theft, is going to be £4K. So it fits her budget for the car.

Dramatical Fri 15-Mar-19 10:39:33

it had a huge dent along the side so obviously the previous rental had problems driving it,

Or someone hit them?

Mermaidkisses Fri 15-Mar-19 10:40:05

madmother1 ... whats yours called? Mine is Paolo smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »