Talk

Advanced search

To want to go to Glastonbury?

(23 Posts)
Newyeardontcare Fri 15-Mar-19 09:34:03

I know it's not going to happen. (Three kids, early 40s). But have just seen the line up and am lusting for a 'kid free drunk in a muddy field no cares in the world
Weekend!' (With The Killers and The Curran's Liam Gallagher!)

In reality, I know it would be shit. Too hot, too cold, too muddy, portaloos, endless queues, people young enough to be my grandchildren (omg),

Sigh...

Youth IS WASTED ON THE YOUNG!

Sob

GottenGottenGotten Fri 15-Mar-19 09:35:56

I'll come with you! I'm (slightly...) older so will make you feel positively youthful.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 15-Mar-19 09:38:14

Do it!! You only live once, and even if it is all the grotty things it’ll also be amazing and fun and you’ll love it. Festivals are the one time I don’t mind crowds or being grubby or drunk people, you just sort of evolve for a weekend to suddenly enjoy it,

And then you get home and think wtf was I thinking?! And have some excellent photos!

HorseDoorBolted Fri 15-Mar-19 09:40:15

It wouldn’t be shit, it’s one of the best places ever.

But I don’t fancy your chances of getting tickets for this year, just the resale of returns left and if you’ve not registered last year you can’t even try that unfortunately!

EnormousDormouse Fri 15-Mar-19 09:43:15

I'll be there! But working so I usually only catch a couple of acts.

WeeDangerousSpike Fri 15-Mar-19 09:44:08

Do it. It's just a weekend, not like you'd be gone for a month.

I've been, they were genuinely some of the most enjoyable experiences of my life.

And you're not too old, if that's what you're thinking. My mate in his 60s goes as often as he can get tickets.

If all else fails, take the kids. I've seen people there with kids of all ages, they love it.

FredaFox Fri 15-Mar-19 09:49:09

Been 8 times.loved it though it's getting harder work on the legs now I'm 40+!
You've no chance getting tickets this year. Register now though for the future👍

FredaFox Fri 15-Mar-19 09:50:12

Also it's not a weekend. It opens in the Wednesday. If you don't go Wednesday you'll struggle for a camping space

echt Fri 15-Mar-19 09:56:08

Am in Australia, not the UK (so no mud) but got into festivals in my 50s.

Had a fabulous time seeing Four Tet, Jesus and Mary Chain and the Happy Mondays last weekend at the very lovely Golden Plains.

Early times we had our DC at friends' houses for the weekend. Then we were so lame for going to the festival. Eventually we were asked to drive them there. Now we meet up, chat and laugh. smile

Do it.

lastqueenofscotland Fri 15-Mar-19 09:58:21

I’ve been a few times and fucking hated it blush

Also you won’t get tickets now.

singme Fri 15-Mar-19 10:19:53

Loads of people 40+ at Glastonbury, I think there’s something like 80 stages. Something for everyone. You can cram into the Pyramid field or chill out in the Green Fields, or go see something in the Cabaret Tent, or get an ale in the pub in the Folk Field, or party all night in the South East corner.

Camping in the quieter fields is nice but you can do posh camping if you like.

But it is MASSIVE and busy and a pain to get to and 5 days long.

There are loads of other smaller lovely festivals too.

Glastonbury is the best though. Why aren’t I going this year again????

Doyoumind Fri 15-Mar-19 10:22:31

No problem with your age at all. You won't be able to get a ticket though.

Hollowvictory Fri 15-Mar-19 10:22:44

It's full of 40+ year olds. I find it's like a refugee camp with music. If you want to go, go.

kelper Fri 15-Mar-19 10:25:01

Id liked to have gone in the mid 90s, I think its a bit over-expensive now if you get what I mean?
DH went when Robbie Williams was there and it was just pure mud, he said it was brilliant.

BuffaloCauliflower Fri 15-Mar-19 10:25:23

You would not be out of place at Glastonbury at 41, there’s people of ALL ages. It’s also so huge there are minimal queues. I’ve done a very muddy year and a very dry year, so yes the mud isn’t great when it’s there but it’s not always!

Problem with Glastonbury for me is it’s too big, it’s like a town. 150,000 people all trying to get around, takes an hour to walk from one end to the other so you have to plan so much getting between stages so you do miss things you want to see due to logistics. I prefered smaller festivals for this reason. Definitely worth doing at least once though.

welshweasel Fri 15-Mar-19 10:28:38

I’m going with husband, 3 year old and 5 month old. I cannot wait!!

Hollowvictory Fri 15-Mar-19 10:31:45

Yes it's too late for tickets now.
Definitely don't take the kids, yes there is a kids field but who wants to sit in a kids field at Glastonbury? 💤👇Leave them at home

Whynham Fri 15-Mar-19 11:11:42

If you want to go for the bands you're better off watching on the telly because the sound on the big stages is so shit. For everything else inbetween the stages, there's nowhere like it but it was better in the 90s

Clevs Fri 15-Mar-19 11:14:51

Buy yourself a cheap camper van or caravan so you have some home comforts then flog it again afterwards!

chaoscategorised Fri 15-Mar-19 11:17:03

YANBU. I'm gutted I don't have tickets this year. Going to Blue Dot instead though!

AngeloMysterioso Fri 15-Mar-19 11:35:10

First time I went to Glastonbury was with my Dad. He was 59.

AteTooManyCrisps Fri 15-Mar-19 11:37:26

I loved Glastonbury, best 5 days ever. Of course you should go! I’d love to go again, not with the kids though. You won’t get tickets now though, try next time.

Mangetoutrodney Fri 15-Mar-19 11:47:44

I’m 46 and I am going! Not taking the kids though and staying in slightly better accom than camping! I love it- go most years - it’s the perfect antidote to the grind of life and very joyful 💛

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »