Talk

Advanced search

To get a new sofa with a 4 year old??

(7 Posts)
Newadventure Fri 15-Mar-19 09:30:41

My current sofa (well a three seater and an arm chair) is a leather cream one, it was given to me when I was still pregnant with dd. It's been brilliant to wipe clean but is looking pretty worn with scuffs and scratches, mainly from where I've been scrubbing it over the years.

Well now I want to redecorate and fancy a new sofa, mainly because the colours and style won't go with what I'm planning to do.
My issue is, dd is 4, she's better than she was but still quite messy and I'm still having to wipe down the current sofa regularly.

The sensible side of me is telling me just to make do with my current sofa and get some throws which I hate until she's a little bit older.

but I really want a new one, and if I do I'll be getting fabric because that's what I prefer.

Would this be a daft, expensive mistake??
Wwyd?

Oysterbabe Fri 15-Mar-19 09:35:21

I think 4 is old enough for a new sofa. Introduce a no eating in the lounge rule.

Newadventure Fri 15-Mar-19 09:40:40

Yes oysterbabe thats the plan.
Atm we have a large dinning table in the lounge, with 4 chairs which is pointless as its just me and dd and I rarely have people over for food etc so its just take up lots of space. Im going to get a small table with two seats for the kitchen and have us in there for meal times. Which will hopefully contain most of the mess to one area.. (🤞)

starfishmummy Fri 15-Mar-19 09:45:16

I think it depends on your child and how much effort you want to put in to making sure she doesn't spill stuff over it or otherwise mess it up. On the other hand I assume you'll need to get a new one at some point and she might still be messy when she's older. Can you get one with removable covers and get a spare cover?

mogtheexcellent Fri 15-Mar-19 10:55:21

We took the plunge this year. Dd is 4. No food on the sofa is the rule and so far it's working. We didn't buy expensive sofas though.

MummyStruggles Fri 15-Mar-19 11:30:59

We've got new sofa and dining set being delivered in 2 weeks. Our kids are 10 and 17 and I'm still worried about it but, as adults, we need to be able to look forward to nice things!

The kids keep joking when I say there'll be no eating on the new sofa by replying with "What about the new dining set?" I've said I'll get 2 chairs for them to eat over the bin - haha!!

I'd do it though, 4 years old is old enough to understand and no eating rule! Enjoy your new sofa!

Bobbycat121 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:50:44

Im not sure why you wouldnt get a new sofa with a 4 year old?! if you need a new sofa you need a new sofa!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »