Talk

Advanced search

Bad mummy

(11 Posts)
Frickssake Fri 15-Mar-19 09:03:31

Didn't buy DD a red nose ( or anything red ) for school today. ( School not taking donations). Doesn't all the red nose Day plastic tat end up in landfill anyway?
( Last year they had to just wear red and pay donation which of course I did ).

ScatteredMama82 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:04:25

Not at all. I asked our school to discourage red noses as they are just a waste of plastic.

Hollowvictory Fri 15-Mar-19 09:05:08

Just make your donation online

YouSayPotatoesISayVodka Fri 15-Mar-19 09:08:36

Mine have participated but no I wouldn’t buy clothing especially for RND and this year I haven’t got them red noses as like you, I feel it’s a waste of plastic. I’m actually a little surprised they’re still selling them. The ones I got last time round broke almost straight away anyway.

Frickssake Fri 15-Mar-19 09:09:30

I know I can donate online but don't want to leave my details ( do you have to?). So will probably find another way to donate if that's the case.
The main thing is I feel a bit guilty as most of the other children have red nose plastic in one form or another

AteTooManyCrisps Fri 15-Mar-19 09:12:03

Don’t Sainsbury’s take the red noses back and can recycle them?
From the Comic Relief website:

If you’d like to recycle any leftover Noses, please take them to the lovely people at your local Sainsbury’s, who are kindly collecting them up for us.

Balooo123 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:09:47

I got my DD a red nose it lasted for a day before she threw it over the child minders fence after school 🙄. She's off sick today so missing out on the Red Nose Day stuff

blackteasplease Fri 15-Mar-19 10:23:52

Mine have got a pin badge which could be the way to go?

MyBoiledEggIsTooSoft Fri 15-Mar-19 10:25:50

We didn’t do Red Nose Day. DS was upset, but I explained to him that a) the red noses are plastic and hard to recycle b) the amount actually going to charity is much smaller that you would think and c) that we give monthly to two other charities focused exclusively on children that we really like. He was happy with that... maybe ask him to chose a charity you both find important?

DeathyMcDeathStarFace Fri 15-Mar-19 11:29:32

Aaaaargh. Our ds's primary school were selling red noses in school for the first time ever this year. (There is a Sainsburys over the road so probably via them.)

We got away with buying one red nose between the 6 of us this year (4 children, dh and me) and 3 'donations' via school for non uniform. Oldest ds is in sixth form without uniform anyway so he doesn't need to pay.

Youngest, 8 yrs old, could go in non uniform, 'red if you have it' suggestion from school. Thought we'd put him in a red t-shirt with a skateboarding dinosaur that glows in the dark on the front but when checked last night it was for age 4-5. blush Now that's being a bad mummy. He is wearing a grey Transformers t-shirt with red sleeves, trim and part of the picture is red. Bought for oldest about 10 or 11 years ago. Can't be bothered to buy new red stuff when we can recycle old stuff that still looks good and had World Book Day just a week ago, it's not like any of the money for new clothes goes to Children in Need unless it's specific things. (And for WBD we got a penguin dressing up outfit from a charity shop for £3, bargain, which he wears all the time as he loves penguins. Win-win.)

So we forked out a grand total of £4.25 for the day. Any other donations will be our choice, not diminished to 65p per red nose. If we bought a red nose each we'd be paying £7.50, with a minimum of £3.90 going to charity. They get more money from a direct £5 donation, doing that we'd spend less and not have 6 red noses lying around. Better for the environment, we spend less, charity gets more. Win-win-win.

I think they need to re-evaluate the red noses. Waste of money, not good for the environment etc. Unfortunately the 65 pences per nose might not get donated any other way so they might not get as much raised.

kelper Fri 15-Mar-19 11:32:26

I forgot to buy DS a red nose, he asked this morning but wasn't bothered when I said Id forgotten.
They could go in wearing fancy dress or normal clothes, he opted for normal clothes now he's practically a grown up in yr 6 🙄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »