Talk

Advanced search

to ask GP for help? (bedwetting)

(13 Posts)
ScatteredMama82 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:02:18

My 9 year old has suffered from occasional bedwetting ever since he was potty trained. He tends to go through phases of it then be dry again for months at a time. We've been referred to the enuresis clinic and have had 1 appointment so far, and another in a few weeks. However, he's off on a cubs sleepover camp next weekend for 2 nights and I'm worried sick about it as he's been wet 6 nights out of the last 14. We have in the past tried discreet absorbant undies but he's very self conscious of them, they do rustle a bit and they are bulky. I'd hate for him to be made fun of. He REALLY wants to go on the camp and the thought of wetting at night hasn't even occurred to him yet so I haven't mentioned it to him as I don't want to worry him or make an issue of it. I know you can get a nasal spray as a temporary help for it, and I'm wondering if I should get him a dr appt and see if we can get some for next weekend.

MatildaTheCat Fri 15-Mar-19 09:10:01

Yes absolutely. Going on the camp is important for his social life. I would also have a discreet word with the leaders and have a plan just in case.

sleepymummy2019 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:17:43

Definitely do it. You should book in with the GP, and if they don’t feel ok with it then ring the enuresis clinic and ask them instead.
The spray (desmopressin?) won’t do any harm if used properly and short term, and it’s important that he gets the chance to do this.
Hope he has a great time!

OKBobble Fri 15-Mar-19 09:28:37

Speak to the cub leader. You will be surprised how many are on medication for enuresis related issues. Get your DS to take a water bottle to bed with him. If he doesn't want to wear pull ups and if he has an accident and anyone notices get him to explain it away by saying I can't believe the lid came of my water bottle and has soaked my pjs and sleeping bag. Make sure he packs a plastic carrier bag or bin bag to hide his wet stuff in if he can do so without others realising.

But get him to tell the leader if it happens as they can arrange for bedding to be sorted. If it is just 2 nights perhaps ask the leader to hold on to a spare sleeping bag separately in case it happens.

Been there and done that and DS was 15 before he was finally signed off from enuresis clinic. But you work out strategies both to help and to cover up!

ScatteredMama82 Fri 15-Mar-19 09:39:43

Thank you all, have got GP appt booked for this afternoon. x

CaptainButtock Fri 15-Mar-19 10:11:50

I could have written this OP ☹️
For what it’s worth, the thing that seems to help with us is LOTS of drinks during the day and none after 6pmish.
Good luck. I also think the water bottle thing is a really good idea x

cushioncovers Fri 15-Mar-19 10:15:22

Desomelt was our saviour when my oldest had persistent bed wetting. The camps he went on kept the meds and any child that needed any sort of medication went to a particular adult at bedtime and got it. It worked out fine for my ds. I however spent the entire time he was on camp worrying that he would wet the bed and be bullied. But that didn't happened. Anyway get to your gp and get some desomelt pronto.

MyBoiledEggIsTooSoft Fri 15-Mar-19 10:18:58

Just flowers. We have the same problem

sweeneytoddsrazor Fri 15-Mar-19 10:23:20

Please dont worry about cub camp. I have taken away many Brownies with the same worries and it is always manageable. Also have you looked at cranial oestopathy.

FunkyBrownie Fri 15-Mar-19 12:58:39

I’ve had multiple brownies come away on sleepovers with this type of problem and his leaders will work with you to make him as comfortable as possible.
We’ll always make sure they ‘pick’ a bed nearest to the door/tent flap so they can get to us quickly and discreetly in the night if needed, we’ve had one who we made an exception for to be able to take a bottle of water to bed with her for a medical reason (not really!) so that if there was an acccident the leaking bottle could be blamed, and we’ve had mums pack the nappy pants in the bottom of the sleeping bag so that they can get changed in privacy and pull them on with no-one realising.
We always bring spare bedding, but you sending extras of everything in another bag which can be stored in the first aid area out of sight would be greatly appreciated I’m sure.
Hope it all gets sorted, but chat to the leaders before you go and I’m sure you’ll find them very supportive x

LittleOwl153 Fri 15-Mar-19 13:09:11

Another one with a bed wetting brownie. He will be fine. Do speak to the leaders - dont be tempted to avoid this as it will make things so much easier for them if they are aware. Ask him to pick one of them that he can talk to about it too so that he is not put off if it does happen. Spare bedding is useful.

Not tried the meds here as we havent got as far as the clinic. But avoiding blackcurrant or other dark squashes can help - something they tend to drink a fair bit of whilst on such trips!

rizkhanjr Fri 15-Mar-19 22:35:26

You could use a bedwetting alarm. Check out onestopbedwetting.com/bedwetting-alarms/
Good luck!

ScatteredMama82 Wed 20-Mar-19 11:38:38

Thanks so much everyone. With the help of the enuresis clinic we got a prescription of desmomelt which he started on Monday night. I've also spoken to the cub leader and she has reassured me that they have lots of cubs with similar and will help him in any way they can. We've had 3 dry nights in a row now smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »