Talk

Advanced search

to think a metal handle does not 'boost your control'?

(12 Posts)
babybotox Fri 15-Mar-19 08:56:35

Why are adverts so fucking patronising?! Gillette are constantly trying to reinvent the wheel. It's tiring.

TheHolySmirk Fri 15-Mar-19 09:22:46

Well there's only so much they can say about a razor.

'Cuts hair pretty well, same as always' would be a bit crap.

And the advertising and design industries create jobs.

rainingonmyfireworks Fri 15-Mar-19 09:26:42

don't buy into it, just don't buy their products,

Babdoc Fri 15-Mar-19 09:41:37

I’m often puzzled by adverts. Presumably they must work, or companies wouldn’t spend millions on them.
But are people really so susceptible and gullible that they buy a product on the basis of some nonsense on tv? Few of them ever give any useful info on the product, eg effectiveness, meaningful comparison with other brands, side effects or problems with it, etc.
Where figures are given, they’re statistically meaningless- “ up to 100% more...”. Yeah? From what baseline? Most people got 5% more, but one outlier got 100%? Who knows?
Mostly they’re just selling aspirations or appealing to emotions.
I’m autistic, so none of that shit moves me one jot!

babybotox Fri 15-Mar-19 10:38:47

I just don't think we need so much advertising full stop.

hazell42 Fri 15-Mar-19 17:03:44

I love the moisturiser ones that promise some new sciencey sounding ingredient. They mention 3 times that it now contains 37 wankista chromosomes (or whatever). But they never actually tell you what it does.

That's because it does nothing

LizzieMacQueen Fri 15-Mar-19 17:07:58

Is this the advert that has the girl shaving her arms? I had to wince at that. I do not want my DD to think shaving arms is normal!

iklboo Fri 15-Mar-19 17:08:39

They didn't go with my idea for a new vaginal itching cream:

'Fleckyminge - for firey flaps' grin

TedAndLola Fri 15-Mar-19 17:42:40

I was alarmed that the woman with tattoos seemed to be shaving her arms? I wasn't really watching so I hope I was wrong.

Nothing in the ad made me want to buy the new razor, that's for sure.

TedAndLola Fri 15-Mar-19 17:44:33

But are people really so susceptible and gullible that they buy a product on the basis of some nonsense on tv?

My mum. She's an advertiser's dream. Everything she sees on TV that is remotely applicable to her life, she will try.

GallicosCats Fri 15-Mar-19 18:00:31

I love the moisturiser ones that promise some new sciencey sounding ingredient. They mention 3 times that it now contains 37 wankista chromosomes (or whatever). But they never actually tell you what it does.

I play a game with those. I look at the ingredients list under the label and try and guess what Q10/Boswelox/UnicornJZ81 (OK so I made the last one up grin) actually is. I think Boswelox turned out to be frankincense (basically just perfume then). Chances are it'll be perfume or some mixture of plant grease.

Iamclearlyamug Fri 15-Mar-19 19:08:07

@iklboo 😁 firey flaps 😂😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: