Advanced search

to ask if anyone has ever used Clare's Law?

(9 Posts)
Z3bra Fri 15-Mar-19 07:38:20

I recently left my EA ex partner. I'm learning things about him, and one is that he has a history of physical violence towards his ex partner. I found this out through someone else and women's aid have suggested I use Clare's Law and visit my local police station to determine if he has a history of physical violence. Though I doubt it as he had a DBS check a few years ago. Has anyone ever done this? I'm nervous to even go to the station...

Pinkcar21 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:39:51

Could you call them on the station number and ask for advice? When I left my EA partner and he was stalking me, I called the non emergency number and they were so helpful and supportive.

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 15-Mar-19 08:10:31

They will only give you the information to inform you about risk, so if you're no longer together you have no need for the information unless you have children who he has unsupervised contact with. It's a risk management tool , not just for curiosity

Z3bra Fri 15-Mar-19 08:20:08

@ZippyBungleandGeorge I have a young child that he wants access to and this is the exact reason I'm thinking of applying. In regards to curiosity I couldn't care less but I'm very on edge at the moment. I feel like I'm waiting for him to lose the plot, or that he will hurt me or run away with our son

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 15-Mar-19 09:00:45

@Z3bra in that case definitely apply, you can do it by walking into a police station or calling 101 and they will advise you of the process in your area. Even if he hadn't abused anyone else you'd be wise to tell him to take access to court and request supervised contact. Make sure you tell carcass and social care about as much of his behaviour as you can recall

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 15-Mar-19 09:04:57

Women's aid are a great support in these circumstances and very knowledgeable. You might find it helpful to contact them they will have an outreach in your area, they can help you safety plan, go through various processes and you might want to access some of the more emotional support/freedom programme etc. I can't recommend them enough

ZippyBungleandGeorge Fri 15-Mar-19 09:05:32

Ncdv can also help with restraining or non molestation orders

Itssosunnyout Sat 16-Mar-19 04:30:20

If you have a child certainly get in touch about Clares law. There is no harm in applying. Though I would also contact children's services who may be able to assist..

Bobbycat121 Sat 16-Mar-19 07:51:15

This is something ive thought about. Does anyone know if you can use it if he doesnt see the children? just incase he wants to in the future? and do they involve social services if you make an application? (thats the last thing I would want)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »