Talk

Advanced search

To have left DS asleep in the car?

(269 Posts)
HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed Thu 14-Mar-19 22:30:03

Today I took DS (14 months) swimming. The pool is only a two min drive from school so I thought he'd make it and then could nap after but the poor little thing was absolutely exhausted and snoring by the time I arrived at school. I parked in the school car park and waited until I saw children from my DDs class leaving, then sprinted to get her leaving DS in the car. The car was out of my sight for less than 30 seconds. WIBU?

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:15:20

Mum11970 but did they explode?

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:18:59

So it’s less dangerous to leave them in a car at a petrol station because the risk are greater if you take them, so that “logic” translates to mean you leave them in a car on a streeet while collecting your kids from school even though they are out of sight? How are the two related?

You are so up your own middle class Mumsnet arses it’s incredible.

I love threads like these because you always see women like you come on here and attack others because it makes your slightly sarcastic hurrah for gin Mum modes seems even more sophisticated and the risk even more calculated. Not. Why take what is essentially such an unnecessary risk with something so precious?

I don’t care whether cotton wool is flammable
I don’t care whether your driveway has gates and security to rival Kensington palace
I don’t care whether you can’t find a pay at the pump forecourt and daren't risk walking across a forecourt with a few parked or very slow moving cars.
You might no really care whether your leave your tiny children alone in a vehicle out of sight. Out of sight being the operative words here. But the difference is that largely society, children’s services and the Law most certainly do when it comes to the latter. Leaving your baby alone in a car on a street and walking off. Cotton wool or not.

mustdrinkwaternotwine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:22:26

I used to do this when DC2 was a baby. I actually left the car unlocked on the basis that there was probably a higher chance of something going wrong meaning I took longer than expected than there was of DC2 being abducted.

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:22:50

Gunpowder no the bit about leaving a child out of sight in a car wasn’t aimed at you, thought you seem to think it’s all about you. read the OP - the car was out of her sight. She reckons for less than 30 seconds because she sprinted. Whatever.

And as for calling one of my little children an “arsehole” to you, their faces or anyone else then no thanks.

ilovecheese1 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:25:04

@HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed. It’s fine, you’re fine. He’s your bloody son, nobody loves him more so why on earth would you do anything to put him at risk? You wouldn’t & you didn’t. I’d be seriously pissed off at the TA/school questioning my decision making as a parent & adult ffs.

Cheeeeislifenow Thu 14-Mar-19 23:25:35

It is fine to do this ..

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:27:35

Eatmycheese you are the only one being abusive and calling people arses.

You sound really angry. Try some breathing exercises?

internetpersonme Thu 14-Mar-19 23:29:08

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds'

angelikacpickles Thu 14-Mar-19 23:30:12

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds'

I would.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:30:37

You are so up your own middle class Mumsnet arses it’s incredible

hmmconfusedgrin

Leaving your baby alone in a car on a street and walking off.

Who is leaving their car on a street and walking off?! The OP parked in the school car park (and yes it is different)

So it’s less dangerous to leave them in a car at a petrol station because the risk are greater if you take them, so that “logic” translates to mean you leave them in a car on a streeet while collecting your kids from school even though they are out of sight? How are the two related?

No, you said it's the same as leaving them in the house whilst you nip to the shop for bread (I don't think anyone has mentioned petrol stations?). It isn't, for the following reasons:

1. In a house they can move about, swallow pills, climb on worktops etc. In a car they are strapped in unable to move in the 30 seconds mum is away

2. In the unlikely event mum got hit by a bus whilst at the shops said child is alone for god knows how long. In a school car park the chance of a coma-inducing accident is pretty minimal, short of things falling from the sky to crush you I can't think what else could happen.

3. School car parks are generally well populated at pick up time and most people would spot a crazy man trying to kidnap baby. No such luck if baby is home alone.

4. Unless you live inside the shop it will never be just 30 seconds to get there and back unlike at school

5. You're never a few seconds away from checking on them at school, unlike with popping to the shop.

Really it beggars belief this has to be spelled out but you did ask 🤷‍♀️

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:32:16

Well I would and do but I live in the country in a very safe area
I probably wouldn't do it in Whitechapel or Drumchapel though, so I guess it all depends on the circumstances..

jjandtheseagulls Thu 14-Mar-19 23:32:42

confused take a tablet Eatmycheese

whywhywhy6 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:33:50

YANBU. Unless it was a 30 degree day and you left the windows up and you were gone more than three minutes - then I’d judge you because my nervous self would be worried about your child. Otherwise, fine.

And if it was very hot I’d probably bail up another parent to grab my school child or to wait next to the sleeping child while I did the dash.

Waking a sleeping child would be my last option.

Birdie6 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:34:12

Yes, I did it many times when the children were little. I also did it when they fell asleep just before we got home, I'd let them sleep in the car in the driveway of the house. And they didn't explode or get abducted.

cakedup Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:05

30 SECONDS? 30 seconds?? 30?

Are we really even having a conversation about this?

Hillaria Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:10

Mine are older now, and I'm battle-scarred - but there is nothing in the universe that would have convince me to leave mine in a car when they were little, even for a second. I used to gather them up and lump them into the petrol station to pay for petrol, even if I could clearly see the car from the till. It was a complete PITA, especially if it meant waking them up and lugging babies and holding toddlers' hands, but there was no way I was going to leave them unattended, even for a milli-second. Strangely, this brings back memories of MN threads 15 years ago, when my youngest was a baby...

TigerTooth Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:28

Its fine - and the TA is being a pratt.

I would totally do this, its under a minute ffs. its fine.

NuffSaidSam Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:34

Mobile phones and handbags are stolen with much greater frequency than toddlers to be fair.

internetpersonme Thu 14-Mar-19 23:36:25

@LaBelleSauvage I live in a city centre. Wouldn't even for five seconds!

TigerTooth Thu 14-Mar-19 23:38:12

I used to gather them up and lump them into the petrol station to pay for petrol

Now THAT is unreasonable, and slighty nuts.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:39:47

And as for calling one of my little children an “arsehole” to you, their faces or anyone else then no thanks

Oh bloody calm down no one is asking you to 🙄

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:40:12

As an aside, why is it okay to use the term 'middle class' as a slur?

...some of my best friends are middle class...

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:41:33

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds

@internetpersonme I do quite often confused had to have a word with myself yesterday as I had my iPad, phone and handbag on display on the passenger seat as I nipped into Sainsbury's

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:41:52

But that's because I'm lazy TBH

WorraLiberty Thu 14-Mar-19 23:42:58

Only on Mumsnet is there a risk of hoards of child snatchers, hanging around, eyeing up cars, carrying crowbars and breaking in to snatch children whilst mothers hurridly sprint to grab their schoolchildren.

Meanwhile back in the real world....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »