Talk

Advanced search

To have left DS asleep in the car?

(269 Posts)
HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed Thu 14-Mar-19 22:30:03

Today I took DS (14 months) swimming. The pool is only a two min drive from school so I thought he'd make it and then could nap after but the poor little thing was absolutely exhausted and snoring by the time I arrived at school. I parked in the school car park and waited until I saw children from my DDs class leaving, then sprinted to get her leaving DS in the car. The car was out of my sight for less than 30 seconds. WIBU?

Friedspamfritters Thu 14-Mar-19 22:32:14

I've never done it personally but loads of mums at DC's school do this (and not even as quickly as it sounds you did) and I've never judged them. I can't even think why it would be dangerous.

Waitingonasmiley42 Thu 14-Mar-19 22:33:26

I would do it and have done similar things in the past.

SkinnyPete Thu 14-Mar-19 22:35:00

30 seconds... Not unreasonable. And you did it fully aware that you needed to move quickly.

rainbowunicorn Thu 14-Mar-19 22:39:50

I used to do it all the time. I am sure though you will get flamed shortly I imagine. These threads always bring out the loons. They will be telling you there is a child snatcher hiding in every school car park and cars randomly catch fire the second your back is turned. Don't forget the possibility of you either being hit by a bus or dropping dead from a heart attack the second that the car is out of sight.

In all seriousness it is fine to do this.

HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed Thu 14-Mar-19 22:41:47

A TA saw me returning to the car and told me it was a safeguarding risk and that she would have to report me to the school hmm Funny thing is, there's a mum who regularly arrives at speed with her DC unrestrained and despite numerous reports, nothing has been done about her.

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 22:44:37

No I wouldn’t have done this
I have been in this situation many times with two of my three children. Tough, they just get woken up.

mrsmuddlepies Thu 14-Mar-19 22:50:13

I was at a sports event once where a mum left her child asleep in the car in the car park. The announcer refused to start the event until the parent collected the child. She then had to do the walk of shame in front of hundreds of parents.

HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed Thu 14-Mar-19 22:51:13

I didn't see why he should be made miserable, which in turn would make his siblings miserable, for the 5 hours until bedtime Eat.

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 22:54:18

Rather he be made miserable then something dreadful happen.
Yes the chances are unlikely, however in my mind you are no different from a mother ruminating that it’s ok to pop to the shop over the road and leave her sleeping baby in a house alone just to get a loaf or bread.

You are obviously niggled by it and rightly so. Instead of trying to justify it just don’t do it again , it’s not worth it.

UrsulaPandress Thu 14-Mar-19 22:57:10

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blue09 Thu 14-Mar-19 22:57:42

I’d have done the same. No different to paying for fuel. I also park outside our local shop and go in for milk occasionally whilst my son is sat in the car. No way am I wrestling him back in his car seat, screaming and lashing out at me for the sake of milk!

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:00:19

OP don't worry. You're fine smile

If the car was locked and you were only gone a few seconds I think it's completely okay.

Also if you were hit by a bus it's probably better you weren't holding your baby...

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:00:45

you are no different from a mother ruminating that it’s ok to pop to the shop over the road and leave her sleeping baby in a house alone just to get a loaf or bread.

Oh dear, do we have to explain to you why this is completely different?!

Only on MN do children ever spontaneously combust/get abducted by aliens/choke to death on air whilst asleep in a locked car for 30 seconds. IRL most people do leave them in for short bursts, same for petrol stations, I've never seen a child be dragged in but in MN land if you leave your child in the car while paying for fuel they'll DEFINITELY set on fire.

You'd love me BTW - if DS is asleep when I get home I've been known to leave him in the car and go inside the house so he can have a proper nap (he wakes if I take him out the car and is a whinge bag for the rest of the day due to a short nap). We have a bay window that I sit at watching TV, the car and his seat are adjacent to the window so I look over every now and then to check he's ok or awake

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:01:05

With the window slightly open of course grin

ScrumptiousBears Thu 14-Mar-19 23:03:07

Personally I wouldn't, and have never done this. I am not a loon by the way. Why call people names just because they don't agree with you hmm

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:03:30

Gunpowder but what if your car exploded?

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:04:48

I'd say take him inside with you.... but what if your HOUSE exploded?

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:05:05

How is leaving a car with a sleeping baby in a car out of sight in a street any way appropriate? Or remotely the same as going to pay for petroleum though I personally think that is questionable and would not leave a baby to do so. At least in a petrol station you can see your car at all times and it is culturally and perhaps marginally considered acceptable in terms of risk, as opposed to walking away and being unable to see you car. And having to i quote “sprint” back.

Anything could happen to you. You might have got there and your child have been unwell, something to attend to etc.

If it makes me a loon for stating this I am delighted to be considered mad as a box of frogs.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:07:24

How is leaving a car with a sleeping baby in a car out of sight in a street any way appropriate?

If that's a response to me (sorry it wasn't clear if it was or it!) he's not on the street. We have a secure driveway with a lockable gate and high fences.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:07:51

@LaBelleSauvage I know, what if I exploded shock

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:08:48

Oh god I hadn't considered that.

I'd suggest wrapping in cotton wool but it's so flammable

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:09:04

Gunpowder your explanation is totally pitiful and incorrect.

Let me explain something to you, it might help. If the OP had been seen and someone captured and reported it she would have potentially been in hot water.

And if you chose to sit watching your baby sleeping in a car on your drive that’s your choice. You didn’t leave him out of sight. Two of my three have been whinge bags as you so eloquently put it. Still wouldn’t leave them alone in a car and walk off down the road.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:11:32

Gunpowder your explanation is totally pitiful and incorrect.

Right. Except I didn't give an explanation confused

Two of my three have been whinge bags as you so eloquently put it.

I sometimes call him an arsehole if that's a word you prefer grin

Still wouldn’t leave them alone in a car and walk off down the road

Sorry who said they'd done that?

mum11970 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:12:15

Did it numerous times when my children were small.

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:15:20

Mum11970 but did they explode?

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:18:59

So it’s less dangerous to leave them in a car at a petrol station because the risk are greater if you take them, so that “logic” translates to mean you leave them in a car on a streeet while collecting your kids from school even though they are out of sight? How are the two related?

You are so up your own middle class Mumsnet arses it’s incredible.

I love threads like these because you always see women like you come on here and attack others because it makes your slightly sarcastic hurrah for gin Mum modes seems even more sophisticated and the risk even more calculated. Not. Why take what is essentially such an unnecessary risk with something so precious?

I don’t care whether cotton wool is flammable
I don’t care whether your driveway has gates and security to rival Kensington palace
I don’t care whether you can’t find a pay at the pump forecourt and daren't risk walking across a forecourt with a few parked or very slow moving cars.
You might no really care whether your leave your tiny children alone in a vehicle out of sight. Out of sight being the operative words here. But the difference is that largely society, children’s services and the Law most certainly do when it comes to the latter. Leaving your baby alone in a car on a street and walking off. Cotton wool or not.

mustdrinkwaternotwine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:22:26

I used to do this when DC2 was a baby. I actually left the car unlocked on the basis that there was probably a higher chance of something going wrong meaning I took longer than expected than there was of DC2 being abducted.

Eatmycheese Thu 14-Mar-19 23:22:50

Gunpowder no the bit about leaving a child out of sight in a car wasn’t aimed at you, thought you seem to think it’s all about you. read the OP - the car was out of her sight. She reckons for less than 30 seconds because she sprinted. Whatever.

And as for calling one of my little children an “arsehole” to you, their faces or anyone else then no thanks.

ilovecheese1 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:25:04

@HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed. It’s fine, you’re fine. He’s your bloody son, nobody loves him more so why on earth would you do anything to put him at risk? You wouldn’t & you didn’t. I’d be seriously pissed off at the TA/school questioning my decision making as a parent & adult ffs.

Cheeeeislifenow Thu 14-Mar-19 23:25:35

It is fine to do this ..

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:27:35

Eatmycheese you are the only one being abusive and calling people arses.

You sound really angry. Try some breathing exercises?

internetpersonme Thu 14-Mar-19 23:29:08

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds'

angelikacpickles Thu 14-Mar-19 23:30:12

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds'

I would.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:30:37

You are so up your own middle class Mumsnet arses it’s incredible

hmmconfusedgrin

Leaving your baby alone in a car on a street and walking off.

Who is leaving their car on a street and walking off?! The OP parked in the school car park (and yes it is different)

So it’s less dangerous to leave them in a car at a petrol station because the risk are greater if you take them, so that “logic” translates to mean you leave them in a car on a streeet while collecting your kids from school even though they are out of sight? How are the two related?

No, you said it's the same as leaving them in the house whilst you nip to the shop for bread (I don't think anyone has mentioned petrol stations?). It isn't, for the following reasons:

1. In a house they can move about, swallow pills, climb on worktops etc. In a car they are strapped in unable to move in the 30 seconds mum is away

2. In the unlikely event mum got hit by a bus whilst at the shops said child is alone for god knows how long. In a school car park the chance of a coma-inducing accident is pretty minimal, short of things falling from the sky to crush you I can't think what else could happen.

3. School car parks are generally well populated at pick up time and most people would spot a crazy man trying to kidnap baby. No such luck if baby is home alone.

4. Unless you live inside the shop it will never be just 30 seconds to get there and back unlike at school

5. You're never a few seconds away from checking on them at school, unlike with popping to the shop.

Really it beggars belief this has to be spelled out but you did ask 🤷‍♀️

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:32:16

Well I would and do but I live in the country in a very safe area
I probably wouldn't do it in Whitechapel or Drumchapel though, so I guess it all depends on the circumstances..

jjandtheseagulls Thu 14-Mar-19 23:32:42

confused take a tablet Eatmycheese

whywhywhy6 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:33:50

YANBU. Unless it was a 30 degree day and you left the windows up and you were gone more than three minutes - then I’d judge you because my nervous self would be worried about your child. Otherwise, fine.

And if it was very hot I’d probably bail up another parent to grab my school child or to wait next to the sleeping child while I did the dash.

Waking a sleeping child would be my last option.

Birdie6 Thu 14-Mar-19 23:34:12

Yes, I did it many times when the children were little. I also did it when they fell asleep just before we got home, I'd let them sleep in the car in the driveway of the house. And they didn't explode or get abducted.

cakedup Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:05

30 SECONDS? 30 seconds?? 30?

Are we really even having a conversation about this?

Hillaria Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:10

Mine are older now, and I'm battle-scarred - but there is nothing in the universe that would have convince me to leave mine in a car when they were little, even for a second. I used to gather them up and lump them into the petrol station to pay for petrol, even if I could clearly see the car from the till. It was a complete PITA, especially if it meant waking them up and lugging babies and holding toddlers' hands, but there was no way I was going to leave them unattended, even for a milli-second. Strangely, this brings back memories of MN threads 15 years ago, when my youngest was a baby...

TigerTooth Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:28

Its fine - and the TA is being a pratt.

I would totally do this, its under a minute ffs. its fine.

NuffSaidSam Thu 14-Mar-19 23:35:34

Mobile phones and handbags are stolen with much greater frequency than toddlers to be fair.

internetpersonme Thu 14-Mar-19 23:36:25

@LaBelleSauvage I live in a city centre. Wouldn't even for five seconds!

TigerTooth Thu 14-Mar-19 23:38:12

I used to gather them up and lump them into the petrol station to pay for petrol

Now THAT is unreasonable, and slighty nuts.

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:39:47

And as for calling one of my little children an “arsehole” to you, their faces or anyone else then no thanks

Oh bloody calm down no one is asking you to 🙄

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:40:12

As an aside, why is it okay to use the term 'middle class' as a slur?

...some of my best friends are middle class...

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:41:33

Bet you wouldn't leave your handbag or mobile phone on the back seat whilst you popped off for '30 seconds

@internetpersonme I do quite often confused had to have a word with myself yesterday as I had my iPad, phone and handbag on display on the passenger seat as I nipped into Sainsbury's

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:41:52

But that's because I'm lazy TBH

WorraLiberty Thu 14-Mar-19 23:42:58

Only on Mumsnet is there a risk of hoards of child snatchers, hanging around, eyeing up cars, carrying crowbars and breaking in to snatch children whilst mothers hurridly sprint to grab their schoolchildren.

Meanwhile back in the real world....

DoctorDread Thu 14-Mar-19 23:43:08

Bloody hell so much pearl clutching!

NunoGoncalves Thu 14-Mar-19 23:43:50

Why are there so many usernames about cheese on this thread?

I think 30 seconds and the car always in view is a complete non-issue, OP. Wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

Was the comment about the car exploding a joke or was it actually serious? I can't even tell!

LaBelleSauvage Thu 14-Mar-19 23:45:27

It was a joke.... grin

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:45:42

I remember one MNer on a petrol station leave the kids vs take the kids thread, who said she had twin babies, a toddler and a school aged child. She'd pop the twins in her double sling and hold each of the children's hands whilst she popped in to pay for fuel! "Took no time at all" apparently. I bet the queue of cars behind her just loved her!

SkinnyPete Thu 14-Mar-19 23:46:07

you are no different from a mother ruminating that it’s ok to pop to the shop over the road and leave her sleeping baby in a house alone just to get a loaf or bread.

Hugely different to 30 seconds in a school car park, making a dash for another child.

Pinkbells Thu 14-Mar-19 23:53:19

It's all about a sensible judgement of risk. 30 seconds in a car park where you are within sight? A non issue!

MitziK Thu 14-Mar-19 23:55:16

I wouldn't have done it. Three main reasons -

1. Going by the state of the driving during the school run (cars bumped up kerbs at 20mph with no regard for anybody walking, vehicles practically dumped across driveways, on corners/double yellows, boxing each other in, etc), people who normally do the school run are either extremely inexperienced in driving regularly or are complete incompetents. Having your car hit by somebody who confuses the accelerator and brake is bad enough when you come back and find it - can you imagine the feeling of hearing a car being hit whilst you are in the playground and you know your baby is somewhere in the vicinity of the thud and crunch?

2. You'll end up being accosted by some psychopathic cow who has about 7 feral brats, screeching that you're neglecting your kid and she'll get Social Services on you.

3, Some twat will decide to impress his girlfriend by being a superhero and smashing the window because it's actually stopped raining for a few minutes.

Hillaria Thu 14-Mar-19 23:57:14

@TigerTooth I know it was probably unreasonable and unhinged! I'm on another thread about weaning, and am being comprehensively kicked for being ridiculously uncaring for letting them eat rusks at 3 months, 18 years ago.

I just think that all parents are slightly bonkers about their precious babies, and it just comes out in different ways...

GunpowderGelatine Thu 14-Mar-19 23:57:44

MigziK do you live in an American soap opera?!

WorraLiberty Thu 14-Mar-19 23:58:25

See if it really is just over the road, I see no harm in that either.

I really need to stop living in the real world confused

Drogosnextwife Thu 14-Mar-19 23:58:34

I used to gather them up and lump them into the petrol station to pay for petrol, even if I could clearly see the car from the till. It was a complete PITA, especially if it meant waking them up and lugging babies and holding toddlers' hands,

That is really quite dangerous. Much more of a risk to have children wandering around a petrol station than sitting, strapped into their car seats.

ChicCroissant Fri 15-Mar-19 00:00:03

I doubt it was 30 seconds tbh - probably longer.

No, I wouldn't - and haven't - done that. He'd only been asleep for 2 minutes while you drove there?

Tonsilss Fri 15-Mar-19 00:05:49

Another OP who has absolutely nothing to say. FFS.

Mummyamy123 Fri 15-Mar-19 00:09:57

This seems completely reasonable behaviour. He was asleep, safely in his car seat, in the school car park, I’m pretty sure I would have done the same as you, perhaps even without the 30-second-timed-to-precision dash........

ThisMustBeMyDream Fri 15-Mar-19 00:13:09

This is why I bought a car with privacy glass. Tends to keep away the numpty people when you risk assess situations and decide that sleeping/strapped in child will be fine for those few moments.
I mean that is what life is full of.. assessing risk. You assessed it. And you made your choice. I can't see an issue.
FWIW I leave my 3 and 6 year olds strapped in the car directly outside tesco express (it's one of those based in an old petrol forecourt so fully glass front and sight of vehicle can be maintained at all times). My 6 ywar old has a blue badge, so I park in the disabled spot right in front of the door. Grab my milk/bread or other forgotten item (because who goes there for more than a couple of forgotten or run out items?), swipe my phone to pay, and I'm done. Quicker than I could get the kids out the car.

Thesnobbymiddleclassone Fri 15-Mar-19 00:16:29

It's up to you to judge really OP and everyone is different.

I never leave my children in the car and I don't mind if that means waking them up or annoying other customers at the petrol station. That's just the way I'm happy doing it.

If you're happy to leave him and that works for you then do it.

Crazybunnylady123 Fri 15-Mar-19 00:23:46

I would never leave my dc like that.
Nothing would happen until the day it does and that won’t be my baby.
People who thinks it’s fine - good for you. I’m not prepared to take that risk with my child ever.

NunoGoncalves Fri 15-Mar-19 00:27:09

What actually is the risk?

AnOwlCalledPlop Fri 15-Mar-19 00:46:12

I wouldn’t. But I wouldn’t judge you for it either. I have my own neuroses and recognise that. I tend to avoid situations where this could be an issue eg using pay at the pump petrol stations (and sending DH to the shops grin)

That said, I get the serious fucking rage with a family at our nursery who pick up/drop off at the same time as us most days. It’s a building with very narrow corridors. They insist on bringing ALL FOUR of their older children into the nursery with them to pick up the youngest. These are not small children. They are like 8, 9, 10 sort of ages. They take up ALL THE ROOM and get in the way when trying to get kids’ coats on etc. My friend moaned about it (unofficially) to the nursery manager once (who is a good friend of hers) and she said obviously they can’t advise the parents to leave the kids in the car (but they sure as hell wish they would)!

The car park is literally visible at all times by the way. Large windows running the length of the corridor.

/rant

ThePants999 Fri 15-Mar-19 01:40:43

I'm going to say something shocking, and I apologise for distressing people, but... every single night, I let my baby sleep out of my sight. For HOURS. I know it's ludicrously irresponsible - the cot could catch fire, a burglar could break in and take her, a car could crash into the house. Someone better call Social Services before the worst happens, it's just a matter of time.

CheshireChat Fri 15-Mar-19 01:56:00

As a foreigner I think it's fine. Also don't think it's so terrible to nip to shop either and was sorely tempted to do exactly the that when DS was poorly, in the end I made DP late for work.

Funnily enough, 4yo DS was heavily hinting he's old enough to be left home alone whilst I nip to shop, I refused mostly as it's never a good thing when he doesn't want to be seen grin.

Albadross Fri 15-Mar-19 03:06:51

I left 5 year old ds in the car to pay for petrol once. I could see the car so I also saw when he moved and the alarm started going off... 😬

Monty27 Fri 15-Mar-19 03:19:42

OP take repentance. MN perfect DMS have charged you and you're guilty of being the worst DM ever just ignore the judgie gits
smile

Middlrm Fri 15-Mar-19 03:33:20

I leave my little one in the car while I get pay at pump petrol ... I am not physically in the car but always by the car... leave baby in there due to logistics of fumes and juggling baby while filling up ... 30 seconds well about the same length of time I go to the loo I tend to leave baby in another room unsupervised in a safe place ... I don’t see that as an issue? Also let him nap upstairs on own while I do tasks down stairs ...sometimes I hang washing out which is prob sane distance you are talking ... so can’t see an major issue. Only have one baby atm so luckily won’t have to do the same as you but can imagine it’s tough to juggle x

Middlrm Fri 15-Mar-19 03:37:55

As long as car Was in sight and it was just 39 seconds x

Skittlesandbeer Fri 15-Mar-19 03:49:28

I live in a (mostly) hot climate and I think this adds to a general sense of it being a bad idea, even if the day in question is mild. No one wants it normalised, or to operate on a sliding scale (like ‘it was just 10 minutes’ or ‘just 28 degrees’).

Our school group has all kinds of mums, including one who leaves her 2yo AT HOME napping alone to pick up her other kids on a 15 minute walking round trip. That’s a bit polarising, I must say!

duplocupcake Fri 15-Mar-19 04:00:03

I doubt it was 30 seconds, it can take a while for all the children to come out of a class, and what if the teacher had wanted a word about something?

CheshireChat Fri 15-Mar-19 04:26:27

Even if it were 5 minutes rather than 30 seconds, what was actually likely to happen?

heath1977 Fri 15-Mar-19 06:27:17

Jesus Christ ladies !!

Barrenfieldoffucks Fri 15-Mar-19 06:36:51

I have done this and would do again.

CarpetGate Fri 15-Mar-19 06:40:17

Oh really, that's fine! What could happen in 30 secs? People need to calm down, you did exactly the sensible thing.

WhereIsMyTVRemote Fri 15-Mar-19 06:42:37

It was 30 seconds. You can't possibly watch a child 100% of the day. Put it in those terms and think what on earth could have gone wrong in that time - incredibly unlikely.

They won't do anything about it. Much bigger fish to fry.

CrohnicallyEarly Fri 15-Mar-19 06:44:45

@ThisMustBeMyDream that's actually really inconsiderate, using your child's blue badge to park in the disabled spot when they're not getting out with you. Especially if there's only one (as the use of 'the' disabled spot implies).

RussellSprout Fri 15-Mar-19 06:46:06

I once left my 6 month old on the doorstep of the house whilst I brought the shopping in. And forgot she was there for 10-15 minutes! Poops.....

RussellSprout Fri 15-Mar-19 06:46:31

*Oops

maddiemookins16mum Fri 15-Mar-19 06:50:29

I used to leave DD asleep in the car on the drive whilst I took the shopping in from the car, in the front door, down the hall to the kitchen counters and then back for the next bag. It’s only on MN that people get so up in arms about things like this.

Shookethtothecore Fri 15-Mar-19 06:52:10

I’ve done it, to get my eldest son to one of his clubs you can’t park right outside and it’s a 15 second run down a lane. I do that with him to get him safely into club and run back. I figured it’s cold and wet and dark so it’s fine for the 30 seconds odd to make things easier for everyone involved. Tbh the baby (he’s 2) has been somewhere downstairs for the past half an hour and I’m assuming he’s fine, I’m in the kitchen making packed lunches —mumsnetting—

Oakenbeach Fri 15-Mar-19 06:56:14

I did this kind of thing when my two were that age...

I wonder how some people sleep at night if they’re so freaked out at the prospect of leaving their child for 30s in a safe and secure location. Surely being the one unconscious for hours whilst in a different room to your child is far more “risky”.

ThisMustBeMyDream Fri 15-Mar-19 06:57:04

@chronicallyearly. His blue badge is to keep him safe. Of course I can use it when he isn't getting out the car! Ridiculous to suggest otherwise. It means I can be near him. Which was part of the application to get him one.

And there are 2 spots. Usually the other spot is taken with a non blue badge holder. Direct your pious vitriol at them, thanks.

hardyloveit Fri 15-Mar-19 06:57:06

I do this all the time! Sch has a car park ( literally on school grounds) and only a very small village school. In fact lots of parents with the young ones do it! Wait until we can see kids are coming out then go wave to the teacher!

Oakenbeach Fri 15-Mar-19 06:59:23

And then some people come up with “what if you got spotted doing it - you’d be in real trouble. Social Services would get involved!”.... when in reality this wouldn’t even raise the tiniest of tiny blips on SS’s radar!

FilthyforFirth Fri 15-Mar-19 06:59:59

I don't really see the point of these threads. The OP is adament she isn't BU, so why bother posting? To be goady? Pointless.

Mrscog Fri 15-Mar-19 07:00:35

Yes in the situation you describe I'd have done the same. Driving home was a lot riskier in terms of likelihood of harm!

Sahara123 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:07:10

I’m sorry but it is a misuse of a blue badge to leave the badge holder in the car and you get out, please read the instructions. It is not “ to keep him safe” as such it is to allow the disabled person easier access to shops etc.
Sorry to side track ...

Tinyteatime Fri 15-Mar-19 07:08:54

Of course it’s fine. I leave my baby if asleep in the car when I drop my dd at nursery.

Tinyteatime Fri 15-Mar-19 07:09:48

It’s one of those Only on MN things, I don’t know anyone IRL who would think twice about it.

Impatienceismyvirtue Fri 15-Mar-19 07:13:18

I frequently left my son in the car napping when I got home, went into the house and had a cup of tea all my myself (bliss). I had a spare cheapy monitor in the car for that purpose only! He is a robust 18-month old who is yet to spontaneously combust.

I also live in a country where babies nap outside in prams, no matter what the weather. It’s arguably more dangerous that I leave him outside in my garden for 2 hours sleeping every day (again, with a monitor). No one would think twice about you leaving a baby in a locked car here as long as the temperature wasn’t a factor.

HelenLaBloodyAnnoyed Fri 15-Mar-19 07:14:44

I can't believe real people actually get DC out to pay for petrol confused

The reason I posted is it's the second time I've been told my behaviour is a safeguarding risk. Last time, DS was 11 months, strapped into his pushchair and fast asleep. My friend and I had parked him in her back garden after getting back from town and he was still asleep when it was time for nursery pick up. She lives directly opposite nursery - across one tiny road where cars go around 15mph as so many are parked. I was due to collect both her and my child as she had an appointment. I left DS in the garden with the gate locked and was gone for 2 mins. The nursery worker was astonished when I said where he was when she asked and said its a risk as anything can happen to him hmm

He was locked in a garden with 6ft high fences, not to mention the fact he wouldn't be able to get out of his pushchair and I could see the house and gate to the garden.

Kitsandkids Fri 15-Mar-19 07:25:22

I think it was fine and probably better for the baby to let him sleep.

But then I’m probably not the best person to ask. I once asked a perfect stranger in a leisure centre cafe to hold my baby, who was a couple of months old, while I nipped to the loo. She was sitting there waiting for her friend to finish swimming and was about 60 so I judged that she was unlikely to make a quick getaway with the baby. And she was thrilled to be asked. Amazingly she and baby were still sitting there when I came out!

AllStar14 Fri 15-Mar-19 07:26:23

I have left my DTs in the car to collect DD on a few occasions. If they've fallen asleep, if it's pissing down with rain, and a few times I just forgot the pushchair! It's a few minutes in a school car park, strapped into car seats.

I genuinely can't get over the posters saying they take their children in to the petrol station. Why?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »