Talk

Advanced search

Aibu-Allowing d's to wear knee high boots for school

(230 Posts)
Shippers87 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:33:10

Posting here for opinions as I'm annoyed at the attitude of the teachers at my dd's school.

She is 6 years old and we bought her some black flat boots that sit just under the knee for school on days where it is cold/wet/windy as frankly the Mary Jane style shoes that are normally sold for girls are not suitable for this weather.

School assistant has kept asking my dd where her shoes are and went on to say she can't wear her boots.

It does not say this in the school uniform rules. Nor are they not practical as she is comfier in them than normal school shoes.

So I said next time they ask for my dd to tell the teacher that I let her wear them.

They have now told her that she has to wear her pe pumps inside. Which has made her feel sad.

Can they do this ?

I know there is no legislation saying that UK school children have to wear uniform but I feel this is a bit petty seeing as in this day and age you can wear knee high boots in certain workplaces

I don't pick her up/drop her off due to working full time so am thinking of writing a letter as I am unable to speak to them after school

10IAR Thu 14-Mar-19 18:36:46

DD wears boots to get to and from school but wee black plimsolls inside. It's more practical for her tbh.

Lougle Thu 14-Mar-19 18:37:45

Knee high boots aren't shoes, are they? They're inappropriate for school.

Sirzy Thu 14-Mar-19 18:38:18

I wouldn’t have thought that many schools would let knee high boots be part of school uniform.

Surely she can change shoes when she arrives?

Mammyloveswine Thu 14-Mar-19 18:38:49

It might be that knee high boots are a bit impractical/uncomfortable for sitting on the carpet during story times and assemblies? What about some ankle boots to wear for school instead?

I'm a teacher and agree that they're not the best style of shoe for school.

fleabaglet Thu 14-Mar-19 18:38:58

boots arn`t shoes.

Tomtontom Thu 14-Mar-19 18:39:27

In what way do her pumps make her feel sad?

LIZS Thu 14-Mar-19 18:39:39

Just take her normal shoes in for indoors, boots would not be comfy to wear inside all day.

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Thu 14-Mar-19 18:39:46

Ive never been in any school where knee high boots would be allowed. Its just not school uniform/school shoes.

Boots are fine to/from school if necessary but have school shoes for school. Dont let your argument make her feel odd at school.

Ribbonsonabox Thu 14-Mar-19 18:40:18

I dont personally think YABU but I guess it's actually up to the school and most of them do not allow boots.
I was suspended for repeatedly wearing lace up boots to school as a teen! Just flat lace up, under the knee boots. It was important to me to make a stand about it for some reason I dont recall now lol... I didnt get anywhere but suspended!

SwimmingJustKeepSwimming Thu 14-Mar-19 18:40:39

Mammy - our school wouldnt have ankle boots either. Just normal school shoes!

Echobelly Thu 14-Mar-19 18:42:09

It seems silly not to allow it, but the compromise may have to be walking to school in boots and changing once there.

What would be even better would be for shoe manufacturers to actually make girls' shoes that actually enclose their sodding feet and allow them to be physically active and walk to school in all weathers

Luckily DD is happy to wear 'boys' shoes' because she likes them more and their practical, but it is such a bugbear of mine that usual girls' offering and so flimsy and non-weatherproof.

Echobelly Thu 14-Mar-19 18:42:42

*ouch they're practical!

Jebuschristchocolatebar Thu 14-Mar-19 18:42:46

Does the uniform policy say black shoes or boots can be worn or just black shoes? Surely schools can impose some kind of uniform rules and parents should accept this. You would be sent home from my child’s school for wearing boots like that.

MontanaSky Thu 14-Mar-19 18:43:12

My DD6 wears flat knee high boots on occasion. Usually when it is raining.
No-one has said anything to me nor my DD.

SnowdropsiUnderTrees Thu 14-Mar-19 18:44:06

Girls shoes come in many forms not just Mary-Janes. You could buy a more practical pair of girls shoes.
Having said that plenty of girls at my school like to wear shoes marketed to boys.
Our school uniform policy specifies black shoes. Boots are not shoes so would not be allowed at my school.

MontanaSky Thu 14-Mar-19 18:44:46

Posted too soon.

As far as I'm aware, these boots are more practical than her Mary Janes in this horrible wet albeit seasonal weather we're having.

SnowdropsiUnderTrees Thu 14-Mar-19 18:45:49

Clark's do lots of uni sex shoes

https://www.clarks.co.uk/c/Hula-Thrill/p/26134912

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Thu 14-Mar-19 18:45:53

I buy DD school shoes at Sainsburys. They don't label them so she looks at them all and I tell her they must cover her whole foot.

I imagine in work places they aren't sitting on the floor with crossed legs like in school. Don't make a big deal, this is not the hill to die on.

SilviaSalmon Thu 14-Mar-19 18:45:55

Doesn’t it say black shoes on uniform list? Boots aren’t shoes. Changing into plimsolls sounds like a good plan.

MitziK Thu 14-Mar-19 18:57:29

Here you go

Twenty different pairs that aren't MJs, T-Bars or ballet pumps in this selection.

DillyDilly Thu 14-Mar-19 19:03:36

What does she wear on the days it’s not cold/wet/windy ?

SplashingAroundTown Thu 14-Mar-19 19:07:30

Am irrationally annoyed by this. Yes YABU. Buy her school shoes FFS.

Blissx Thu 14-Mar-19 19:11:24

Clue is in the name, no? School shoes vs school boots. Not appropriate nor necessary, inside school.
To and from school, though, fine.

RagingWhoreBag Thu 14-Mar-19 19:11:47

What would be even better would be for shoe manufacturers to actually make girls' shoes that actually enclose their sodding feet and allow them to be physically active and walk to school in all weathers

Absolutely this. DD has worn knee high boots and ankle boots for school over the years, her school didn’t mind until year 6, when they were trying to get them into good habits for secondary school.

Now in year 7 she has bought boys shoes as she wanted something sturdy, not stupid slip on pumps that let the rain in. They do so much walking that the flimsy girls shoes on offer just wouldn’t be comfortable all day. Luckily she’s quite used to her brothers hand me downs, so doesn’t mind wearing boys clothes! She also chooses trousers and a tie rather than skirts and an open collar, so the shoes work ok for her.

It is depressing that girls clothes and shoes are so impractical.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »