Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your tips on returning to work?

(2 Posts)
HappyGoLuckyGo Thu 14-Mar-19 18:02:04

DS, 14mo, will be at nursery 3 days a week and with family members for the other 2 days. I work 45 mins from home in a professional services role (ie stressful, time-pressured, but massive peaks and troughs in the workload). DH tends to travel Mon-Thurs so a lot of the burden of "home life" will be on me. (We're getting a cleaner.)

What helped you settle into a good routine and succeed at work, post-maternity?

nauseous5000 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:17:03

Hm well I had to go back 10weeks post partum so challenges of a 14mo are clearly greater (I was used to working FT with a partner working away by then) Id advise batch cooking at weekends and getting a pressure cooker to be able to make really quick dinners in the week when you get home. Also sort out a network. When your DS starts nursery they're likely to be ill super regularly and you'll need the odd back up unless your employers are v child friendly. Set a routine up for jobs the cleaner won't do- washing/ironing etc and stick to it religiously even when you're knackered. Finally lower your standards. Things won't be as perfect as they are now/ before but that's ok! Just get through until you get into s routine and be prepared that sometimes you'll feel it's all too much, but if you persist you will get through it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »