Talk

Advanced search

Jungle drums?

(22 Posts)
Fatasfook Thu 14-Mar-19 13:16:08

I have heard this term used all of my life and have used it myself, I take it to refer to gossip and grapevine talk, however I was speaking to someone today and they said it is racist to use it? They couldn’t explain why. Is it racist? And if so, why?

Fatasfook Thu 14-Mar-19 13:41:05

GottenGottenGotten Thu 14-Mar-19 13:45:19

There was a fairly high profile incident a few years ago when someone complained of the term jungle drums being used in a meeting as the complaint thought it was racist.

Iirc most people didn't think it was an issue.

I would hazard that the person you were speaking to was vaguely aware of that case.

picklemepopcorn Thu 14-Mar-19 13:52:29

It could depend on the context. If referring to the spread of news in a general way, then fine. Shouldn't be used if referring to spread of news within a specific community.

Lifecraft Thu 14-Mar-19 13:57:53

At work recently we sent an important email that didn't go, as the system went down at the time. I moaned about modern technology and said we'd have been better off sending him the details by smoke signal. I will go in tomorrow and resign immediately, for insulting Native Americans.

On a serious note, surely the use of "jungle drums" is a compliment to the tribes that used it. It's a genius idea for transmitting information in difficult environments , and it works. Hence "I see the jungle drums have been out" when you think someone has been gossiping about you.

MitziK Thu 14-Mar-19 14:29:17

It's often used in a context of 'them and their jungle drums'. Meaning black people.

Probably best to use another phrase that hasn't been coopted by racists.

SpenglerOswald Thu 14-Mar-19 15:01:24

Everything is ‘racist’ nowadays, id ignore.

Biker47 Thu 14-Mar-19 15:29:04

It's often used in a context of 'them and their jungle drums'. Meaning black people.

No it isn't.

Theknacktoflying Thu 14-Mar-19 15:32:16

If you think it is going to cause offence then don’t use it. It is offensive ..

JeezYouLoon Thu 14-Mar-19 15:33:04

I'd use it in the same way as Smoke signals and Carrier pigeon, maybe you could say that was racist against native Americans and northerners.

Surely as long as there is no malice it's just words 🤷🏻‍♀️

Theknacktoflying Thu 14-Mar-19 15:34:57

tell that to the Chairman who was fired for using it ...
or H&M who put a black child model in a ‘cheeky monkey’ sweatshirt ..

MotherofDinosaurs Thu 14-Mar-19 15:36:08

It's not offensive or racist. (unless you're using it specifically in connection with a particular ethnicity. Which you're not. And neither is anyone else.)

TeaforTwoBiscuitOrThree Thu 14-Mar-19 15:37:54

I don't think it's offensive? it's a means of communications used in the ....jungle?

MistressDeeCee Thu 14-Mar-19 17:16:53

Why have you asked the question here, where you'll have answers from mostly white people as you well know, who will say 'No it isn't racist', then chat some fraff about 'context'.

Racism is cowardly and sly here, people will say anything to defend racism.

I don't like the term jungle drums at all because of course I've heard it being used in derogatory fashion. I don't give a shit about 'context'. White people have nothing to do with jungle drums, its not part of western culture and we aren't in Africa. So there's no reason for it to be voiced is there. It was ever a positive phrase over here.

But no doubt some ignoramus/faux SJW would feel it's their place to tell me that I should or must like it on their say so

Alsohuman Thu 14-Mar-19 17:23:31

Oh Lord, this is going to be a rerun of the bloody Tiger Lily costume thread, isn't it?

Treaclesweet Thu 14-Mar-19 18:07:20

Definitely outdated and racist. What or where exactly is the 'jungle'?

Hoopaloop Thu 14-Mar-19 18:31:42

They play that bloody jungle music all night!

youtu.be/ucku7kZ5Dbc

FudgeBrownie2019 Thu 14-Mar-19 18:33:25

I've truly never heard this phrase in 37 years of living. I need to leave the Midlands more.

Theknacktoflying Thu 14-Mar-19 18:36:32

it is just casual racism if the term

Theknacktoflying Thu 14-Mar-19 18:38:10

sorry of not if

MitziK Thu 14-Mar-19 18:49:02

@Biker47 Really? I've seen and heard it - complete with impersonations of monkey sounds and African accents and the old faithful J-Bunny term of abuse.

I'd say it's more of an old school racist/1970s National Front/Alf Garnett just said wot we fink type person's statement, but it was very prevalent in London as I grew up, also frequently yelled up at windows where teenagers were listening to music such as Bob Marley 'Turn those fucking jungle drums off!'. The problem in the minds of the shouters wasn't so much the volume as the fact the music was unmistakably black/Jamaican in origin.

Fatasfook Thu 14-Mar-19 22:50:16

This is so interesting, I’ve never even considered there would be racist connotations attached to this phrase, certainly in my experience of it it has only been used to mean the rapid spread of gossip.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »