Talk

Advanced search

School parents camping trips

(29 Posts)
Home77 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:49:57

Oh no...parents in DCs class (age 10/11) planning a group weekend camping trip. Of course DC will know and want to go. Think that sounds stressful a camping trip with lots of other parents and their rioting DCs in woods, argh. Others seems happy though, AIBU? Do you do these trips?

DelurkingAJ Thu 14-Mar-19 12:51:46

I don’t camp. End story. I would happily send DH. But I would be utterly blunt and say ‘no’.

If you routinely camp with the DC then I could see it would be more awkward. How old are they? Could they be persuaded with something alternative as a ‘treat’?

DelurkingAJ Thu 14-Mar-19 12:52:52

Sorry, just seen ages. Would a visit to DGP work instead? I know my DC would be perfectly happy with that as an alternative (neither set are local).

Home77 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:53:41

They're quite big, near end of primary. they are going on the final year trip anyway.

Home77 Thu 14-Mar-19 12:54:26

What's DGB? It says a camp site and place for food, not much else I think.

Stompythedinosaur Thu 14-Mar-19 12:55:03

While it wouldn't be my first choice I would suck it up for the dc.

Ploppymoodypants Thu 14-Mar-19 12:56:45

I would go and think it was a lot of fun. But we like camping anyway and do lots of trips with other families. But also get that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I think it’s fine if you don’t want to go and I wouldn’t be offended if I invited you and you said no.
So I guess it’s just whether the kids will feel really left out. You could always arrange something different for the children another time?

ButterflyBitch Thu 14-Mar-19 12:56:56

We did it and are doing it again. It was great. The kids went feral, we chilled out. Everybody looked out for everyone. Not everybody went. 1/3 of the year group. Don’t do it if you don’t want to.

Barrenfieldoffucks Thu 14-Mar-19 12:58:31

If you camp and have the equipment it's a great idea, mine would love it. And they sprint off and play so you can chill out. If you don't have the kit and aren't used to it...not so much fun

Ellisandra Thu 14-Mar-19 13:11:30

It sounds brilliant to me!

Graziass Thu 14-Mar-19 13:13:41

Nothing on earth would induce me to go camping. Book a holiday somewhere nice instead.

chillpizza Thu 14-Mar-19 13:16:32

I’d do it but then we camp anyway so we have the gear.

AguerosAngel Thu 14-Mar-19 13:19:15

I wouldn’t go myself, but if DS wanted to go I’d persuade/bribe DH to take him!

Damntheman Thu 14-Mar-19 13:22:47

I'd do it and be happy about it but I love camping ;) We don't do this kind of thing through schools, but there are 'outdoor activities' groups we are part of who do it. It's a lot of fun, the kids go crazy, the adults chill with a beer by the fire. Good times are good!

DSHathawayGivesMeFannyGallops Thu 14-Mar-19 13:25:39

No sodding way. I don't camp and I wouldn't find the school social element appealing, especially if it's end of year 6. If you think DC are likely to say something, can you book something else the same weekend that they'd definitely like to do and make out that you were planning all along to surprise them with this "treat" for doing their SATs/whatever and what a shame that it's the same weekend?

Wrt to the cost of booking something else, given that I'd have to find (and no doubt buy a good chunk of) nearly all of the kit for camping, I'd rather spend the money on something I'd get better enjoyment and value from.

Damntheman Thu 14-Mar-19 14:20:09

Another option, if you happen to know another of the parents well enough could you ask them to take your DC? Camping with a buddy would probably make your kid psyched. Of course, this relies upon you knowing another parent well enough.. but it's worth a shot and then everyone gets what they want.

SileneOliveira Thu 14-Mar-19 14:22:13

Sounds like sheer and utter hell. I wouldn't camp if you paid me a million pounds.

In this situation I'd go along for the evening, join in with the barbecue or the toasting marshmallows or whatever other shitey "bonding" and "fun" activities they had planned. Then I'd leave them to their canvas hell holes and go home to my nice, comfy, dry bed.

Home77 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:24:05

They do go on their own trips with cubs etc and the school already do trips in year 4 and 6 for the children. Some of the kids are a bit of a handful to be honest and can't imagine wanting to spend all weekend with them running riot. Maybe can just not mention it and get away with it. (hopefully).

Home77 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:25:37

"could you ask them to take your DC?"- hmm well I could but think would be a bit of a CF to do that? I wouldn't be impressed if another parent did that to me to be honest. Unless I paid them I guess.(or bribed).

VladmirsPoutine Thu 14-Mar-19 14:26:46

Camping is a no, for me. Camping with other people's children is a fuck no, for me.

VladmirsPoutine Thu 14-Mar-19 14:27:41

Another option, if you happen to know another of the parents well enough could you ask them to take your DC?

You should do this if you want to find yourself the subject of a CF thread.

babysharkah Thu 14-Mar-19 14:30:13

You can just say no if you dislike it.

Don't be the CF who asks someone else to take your kid.

BigSandyBalls2015 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:30:23

What a lovely idea for the end of primary school. I'd love it but then I love camping anyway and regularly go away with big groups whilst the kids run feral and we drink wine. Does everyone good.

However, if it's not your thing don't go.

IHaveBrilloHair Thu 14-Mar-19 14:32:52

Omg, that sounds horrific, no way on earth would I go.

RomanyQueen1 Thu 14-Mar-19 14:33:04

I've never heard of this before, I wouldn't have liked it either tbh. We couldn't have gone because dh works at weekend.
Is it for both parents and siblings or just one parent and the child in the class?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »