Talk

Advanced search

Or is this RIDICULOUS!!! - Wedding

(408 Posts)
HappyHattie Thu 14-Mar-19 10:16:05

I get married in 12 weeks time.

I booked a hairstylist over eight months ago! After careful consideration...etc. (I’d heard good things about this salon/ read reviews online).

I asked to come in for a trial earlier but was told no, not until 2-3 months before- this seemed to be standard practise amongst wedding hair stylist...so fine.

Went for my ‘trial’ the other day (keeping in mind that it’s a stately home wedding, and I have two very shy under 10 flower girls looking forward to getting their hair done, so I want the morning getting ready to be chilled out...etc)

The woman I’d expected (heard good things about) was no longer there. The woman who did my hair was...not right. I’m not even kidding. My mother (who came with me) had to go for a walk, she felt so uncomfortable and some of the things the salon staff were saying 🙄.

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics. And my hair started falling out 30 mine after I left 😒

Not an option. So I rang about 20 other wedding hair stylists yesterday to be told...sorry we book like a year in advance. Which is fair enough, but if none of them offer trials until 2-3 months before the date, then what the hell are you supposed to do if your trial goes horribly???

You have no other choice!!!

Short of not getting a hairstylist (and we need one)...I have no idea what the hell to do!

Spaceunicorn6789 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:18:40

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics

This is ridiculous. Is this actually a thing people think about when they're getting married?!?!

onanothertrain Thu 14-Mar-19 10:21:10

Why didn't you just book a normal appointment if you couldn't get a trial earlier?
What's wrong with using your normal hairdresser?

Grumblepants Thu 14-Mar-19 10:21:37

I think it's a little mean to judge her on her appearance, after all when she got tattooed she wasn't to know it wouldn't fit with your wedding photos.
However if you are not happy with the hair style (I had this exact problem, my stylist was beyond shit) I'd put a shout out on Facebook asking if any of your friends can recommend someone for the date you need. Good luck.

MarthasGinYard Thu 14-Mar-19 10:21:42

'Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics'

I wouldn't give a toss about that

How ridiculous

Did you like the hair?

MinervaVause Thu 14-Mar-19 10:22:02

I didn’t have a stylist when I got married but a couple of friends had at least 3 different ones booked for their weddings then just chose the one they preferred after their “trials” and cancelled the others.

Too late for you now though.

Have you phoned a few independent “mobile” stylists. There’s some excellent ones that just don’t want to work in salons. You might have more luck.

MarthasGinYard Thu 14-Mar-19 10:22:12

Just go to your regular hairdresser

HarrysOwl Thu 14-Mar-19 10:22:27

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics

Better clutch my pearls.

It comes across a bit precious with this, OP, sorry.

she felt so uncomfortable and some of the things the salon staff were saying

Can you give us some examples?

I wouldn't mind what someone looks like, if they do a good job.

Sleepyandtired21 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:23:52

Try and advertise the job on your local fb page. I’m sure you’ll find mobile hairdressers who will do you a trial.

MinervaVause Thu 14-Mar-19 10:24:11

And this wouldn’t bother me at all if I liked what they did. Different story if you didn’t but I wouldn’t refuse to use someone based on their tattoos.

Ylvamoon Thu 14-Mar-19 10:24:36

Walk into your normal hairdresser & tell them what you want. I bet they do a lovely job and for the fraction of the price! Mine did.

MarthasGinYard Thu 14-Mar-19 10:25:18

You have 3 months to sort

Hardly a crisis

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Mar-19 10:25:20

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics.

😂

HotSauceCommittee Thu 14-Mar-19 10:25:22

Getting ready photos? Who gives a shit about that?
Just find a normal hairdresser or a member of the wedding party who’s good at doing hair.
A get a (hair) grip. It’s one day. Then you have the rest of your married life together, the important bit.

happymummy12345 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:25:48

You're wrong to judge her based on her appearance.
My hairdresser didn't turn up on the day (text my then fiancé (we were very traditional and had no communication, even text) to say she couldn't be bothered to turn up (he had to ring my mum for her to tell me). So my best friend had about 10 minutes to do the best she could, and it still looked wonderful.
Make the best of it, I had to with an hour to go until the ceremony was due to start.

underneaththeash Thu 14-Mar-19 10:26:13

I'm really not into tattoos at all, but I'm sure someone can either photoshop them out, or just don't have "having hair done" photos.

However if she's a bit crap at hair then its clearly not going to work.

Do you necessarily need a wedding hairstylist or just someone who is good at putting hair up? You may just need to alter the style you were thinking of slightly and just go to a regular hairdresser. Even if your morning doesn't go exactly as you imagined it, it's only one tiny part of your day and I can promise you no-one will notice.

I'm really crap at doing hair myself, but I bought some of the dyson airwrap things and they make lovely curls, that would look perfect o little bridesmaids.

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Mar-19 10:26:13

But yes, if it started falling out after half an hour that's no good. I'm sure you will find someone though.

JacquesHammer Thu 14-Mar-19 10:26:40

Why wouldn't it look right....?

And my hair started falling out 30 mine after I left

So go back, give them feedback and ask for another trial.

gamerchick Thu 14-Mar-19 10:26:59

See this is what stands out from your post. You are judging this so are going to automatically going to pick fault with the rest. Who takes photos of them getting their hair done anyway?

If you find a small independent salon you'll probably find someone to fit you in. You'll just have to keep looking for that aesthetically pleasing individual for your wedding pictures.

ADHMeeee Thu 14-Mar-19 10:27:16

....unless, like me, that sort of thing is preferable. I would rejoice if this lady did mine. The majority of us get stuck with the fake tanned, trendy haired, "you OK hun" type who have all fallen through the same mould and would probably go home from a good, fun, alternative wedding saying "ermergerd, I had to do hair for these freaks, they were like, sooooo ratchet".

However, I do find it appalling that you don't get to test out the hairdresser earlier and that they didn't tell you the lady you wanted had gone. That seems silly to me. Do they have a different stylist or just the one? By hair falling out, I assume you didn't get a bleach job but that it fell out of place?

AdobeWanKenobi Thu 14-Mar-19 10:27:23

No, really, you'd look fucking awful in comparison to her.

Littlechocola Thu 14-Mar-19 10:27:31

What did they say to make you so uncomfortable?

Awful of you to judge the stylist based on her not looking ‘right’ for your photos.

TheShiteRunner Thu 14-Mar-19 10:29:21

You could have worded this OP like, "I booked a company to do my wedding hair, but now I've gone for the trial and the stylist I liked isn't there anymore. I wasn't happy with what the new stylist did with my hair. What do I do?"
But you gave us the pearl-clutching about tattoos and all that, making me think that you're a bit of a bridezilla and impossible to please.

ADHMeeee Thu 14-Mar-19 10:29:24

I'm really crap at doing hair myself, but I bought some of the dyson airwrap things and they make lovely curls, that would look perfect o little bridesmaids.

I thought that was a kind of Hoover hmmgrin oops

Shookethtothecore Thu 14-Mar-19 10:29:27

Jesus Christ the getting ready photos 😂😂 your gunna cringe about worrying about that one, no one cares about the getting ready photos.
The rest of it then fine, if she isn’t good then that’s another issue. Wedding hairdressers easily book a year in advance, but you might get an up do if you go to a salon the morning of your wedding? Do you have time for that? You might have to forgo your wedding shoot in your dressing gown but you won’t have shit hair on the day?!

Chickychoccyegg Thu 14-Mar-19 10:29:47

well your being pathetic about her appearance for a start,and who has photos of their hair stylist anyway?
if she was rubbish at doing your hair thats another thing altogether, try for a mobile hairdresser,i know a few who are amazing at hair up/wedding hair, just work mobile as it suits them, go of fb, ask for a recommendation , good luck and remember the hair stylists appearance is irrelevant to you and your wedding!

DoneLikeAKipper Thu 14-Mar-19 10:30:08

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics.

Lots of tattoos? Acrylic nails? The horror, THE HORROR!

Of course you can’t have that in your pics hun, I mean you’re gonna look lush and she’s gonna look like chav innit?

HappyHattie Thu 14-Mar-19 10:30:17

Just to be clear. The tattoes included images/words which were NOT appropriate for children/wedding pictures.

But had she not also been crude/ done a bad job, I would have politely asked she wear a long sleeve top (due to kids being around) and thought no more of it.

rainingonmyfireworks Thu 14-Mar-19 10:30:22

sounds a bit bridezilla tbh, can't a friend do your hair for you ? [after a trial of course]

BlueMerchant Thu 14-Mar-19 10:31:20

It's sounds like her appearance/personality is the main problem from your post. What was said that was so bad your mother had to leave the shop?
It really sounds like it's got very little to do with the job and more to do with what she will look like in your getting ready photos.
Photos she could refuse to be in anyway.

PBo83 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:31:28

Nothing wrong with this. She's a stylist, just because her particular style doesn't match yours doesn't make her a bad choice it just displays an artistic flair.

TORDEVAN Thu 14-Mar-19 10:31:34

YANBU to be upset with the hair falling out after 30 mins - feed it back to them and ask for a retrial

YABU to want someone different because of how they will look in the photos

Not sure if YABU about feeling uncomfortable without more info - what made you uncomfortable?

JacquesHammer Thu 14-Mar-19 10:31:37

The tattoes included images/words which were NOT appropriate for children/wedding pictures

Like....?

MarthasGinYard Thu 14-Mar-19 10:32:18

I remember Op from Pre Nup thread

I'd certainly worry more about that than your up do

Houseonahill Thu 14-Mar-19 10:33:14

Your not going to get many nice replies when you say horrible judgemental things about other people but if you can bring yourself to get over your prejudices speak to the girl who did it, explain what you didn't like (about the hair) and ask if you can have another trial appointment.

Shoxfordian Thu 14-Mar-19 10:33:28

It sounds like she didn't do a good job. I agree you do sound ridiculous about her nails and tattoos. Shock horror.

PBo83 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:33:49

Photos she could refuse to be in anyway.

I'm not sure I'd want to be in photos with this bridezilla and her 'oh so sensitive' kiddiwinks anyway.

The chances are that, if she regularly does hair for weddings, she would dress more conservatively on the day anyway (and even if not, does it actually matter).

Shoxfordian Thu 14-Mar-19 10:34:22

You would have asked her to wear a long sleeve top?! Seriously?!

AdobeWanKenobi Thu 14-Mar-19 10:34:46

The tattoes included images/words which were NOT appropriate for children/wedding pictures

Ahh here is the drip where she has CUNT in enormous letters up her arm...

Dermymc Thu 14-Mar-19 10:35:08

What were the tattoos?!

You sound a bit princessy tbh. Why would she be in your wedding pictures?

TinselAndKnickers Thu 14-Mar-19 10:35:19

So what things did they say that was so offensive?

rainingonmyfireworks Thu 14-Mar-19 10:35:22

i know it's not good but unless the little flower girls are hidden from the world completely they will hear certain words in public and media. it won't scar them for life unlesst hey are subjected to it on a regular basis from parents and family.
ah, the bliss of a hearing a 4 year old the other day screaming on a bus 'fuck you mummy' at the top of his voice, all because she told him to 'shut the fuck up and sit down'. now that's rough.

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Mar-19 10:35:43

Intrigued by what this woman has tattooed on her arms!

TheShiteRunner Thu 14-Mar-19 10:36:01

Hmmm. Why didn't you mention that the tattoos were inappropriate in the OP? Why is it just coming up now that people are calling you out on your prejudice?

PBo83 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:36:10

Ahh here is the drip where she has CUNT in enormous letters up her arm...

Damn it! I thought I was the only one to get this!

Shookethtothecore Thu 14-Mar-19 10:37:41

For what it’s worth I used to work on cosmetics counters and as a make up artist. By far, the best I have ever seen is a lovely girl who is now a trainer for the big brand all most people rave about. She is an absolute magician and I’ve seen her bring out the best in so many people, incredibly talented. She’s also a goth. I’d take her all day long in any photo on any day. Lovely girl and very talented

catinboots99 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:37:58

'Getting ready pics' 🤣😂

Spaceunicorn6789 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:39:09

*The tattoes included images/words which were NOT appropriate for children/wedding pictures

Ahh here is the drip where she has CUNT in enormous letters up her arm...*

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Bookworm4 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:39:17

I'm sorry have I missed something? Getting ready photos? Is that a thing?
Why are you not using your regular hairdresser? They know you best.

MarthasGinYard Thu 14-Mar-19 10:39:16

And the photo's

Those faux grim pretend 'candid' shots with a champagne glass with a tinkly laugh with flower girls playing with the make up brushes

Pans over to a solo Manolo Blanik with some antique pearls pooling around in the back ground....

With a flash of a black plastic nail with Love and hate adorning each knuckle....

Perfect grin

PBo83 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:39:32

@Shookethtothecore

Totally agree, I made a similar point upthread. If someone is of an artistic nature and spends a significant amount of time and effort on their own look (even if it differs from yours) it shows a commitment to their passion.

Bishalisha Thu 14-Mar-19 10:40:14

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails- absoloutley wouldn’t look right in any getting ready pics. And my hair started falling out 30 mine after I left 😒*

You sound horrible.

Eliza9917 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:40:17

Also, heavily tattooed (sleeves down both arms and neck). Long black acrylic nails

How does this affect her ability as a hair dresser?

Not an option. So I rang about 20 other wedding hair stylists yesterday to be told...sorry we book like a year in advance. Which is fair enough, but if none of them offer trials until 2-3 months before the date, then what the hell are you supposed to do if your trial goes horribly???

You at supposed to book a few and pick who you want to go with, from my understanding of it all.

Ellenborough Thu 14-Mar-19 10:40:19

So don't have any 'getting my hair done' pics then - that's hardly a big deal, is it? What would you have done if she'd been a great stylist - cancelled her anyway? hmm

You don't like her work. That's enough of a reason to cancel. The other thing is Bridezilla nonsense and really the last of your worries.

Bookworm4 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:40:34

@marthas
😂😂😂😂
I'm hoping cunt and fuck on the knuckles 😉

thebeatofthedrum Thu 14-Mar-19 10:41:03

I'd be more concerned about your hair falling out.

HarrysOwl Thu 14-Mar-19 10:41:19

OP your attitude is very Bridezilla.

oh4forkssake Thu 14-Mar-19 10:41:38

Hang on. Wait now. Are wedding suppliers supposed to be vetted according to what they'll look like in the "getting ready" pictures?!

I have no words for that. Except that I'm very glad I got married a long time ago.

OP, one suggestion for you. Elope.

DoneLikeAKipper Thu 14-Mar-19 10:41:55

Who’s betting the op is furiously googling ‘offensive tattoos’ to try and get an idea for the best get-out clause for her initial prejudice against the stylist?

I find it very difficult to believe a stylist would have offensive tatts on display in such a customer-facing job to be honest.

rainingonmyfireworks Thu 14-Mar-19 10:42:06

plus, like others i want to know why dm had to leave the shop and the tattoos. but i rather think op won't tell us anyway because it won't be that bad in the eyes of others anyway. i wouldn't be over impressed with genitalia tattoos, 'cunt' or 'twat' in large letters on show but it is a personal thing for the individual to make that choice.
i can understand if the stylist was ffing and jeffing or discussing her sex life across the salon though because that is very unprofessional.

recrudescence Thu 14-Mar-19 10:42:14

Perhaps you could employ a body-double for the tattooed stylist - you could use a particularly attractive friend or relative. She would just need to step in, comb and hairspray aloft, when the getting ready pics were being taken.

PBo83 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:42:45

I'd be more concerned about your hair falling out.

When I first read the original post, I thought she meant that her hair ACTUALLY fell out (that certainly would be reason to ditch a stylist!)

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Mar-19 10:42:58

MarthasGinYard

Crying at your post 😂😂😂

DarlingNikita Thu 14-Mar-19 10:43:04

Well, you've lost a lot of sympathy from me with that remark.

And why exactly was she so horrible? You don't give details.

Find another stylist.

catinboots99 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:43:19

@MarthasGinYard 🤣🤣🤣

Sparklesocks Thu 14-Mar-19 10:45:21

Desperate to know what the tattoos say...!

thenightsky Thu 14-Mar-19 10:45:45

MarthasGinYard grin

RockyFlintstone Thu 14-Mar-19 10:46:09

When I first read the original post, I thought she meant that her hair ACTUALLY fell out

Yes, for a few seconds I thought the same and thought 'god she must have been tugging at it really hard!'

ErickBroch Thu 14-Mar-19 10:46:21

You sound awful. If the hair wasn't right that's fine, but leave her appearance out of it.

cloudymelonade Thu 14-Mar-19 10:46:39

YABU.
If you want a really good job doing, you book with a specific stylist/artist, not with a particular salon. Fair enough, the salon should have informed you she was leaving if you had booked this specific artist.

But getting precious about an artist having tattoos for your photos? Get a grip.

LegitimateShite Thu 14-Mar-19 10:46:55

Ah, so it was the offensive words in her tattoos that was your issue with her appearance. I assume her long black acrylic nails that wouldn’t look right in your photos also had offensive language on them? Or are you just backtracking with an attempted drip feed because you’ve realised you’ve come off really badly?

If you were unhappy with your hair you can feedback to the salon and ask for another trial, or ask on Facebook if anyone can recommend a stylist who’s free.

x2boys Thu 14-Mar-19 10:47:12

If my don't like the hair do fine,it seriously nobody but you and possibly but doubtful your future s is going to be interested your getting ready pichmm

gamerchick Thu 14-Mar-19 10:47:16

I would have politely asked she wear a long sleeve top (due to kids being around) and thought no more of it

You can't do that. You can get it photoshopped though.

Seriously at you getting married for the wedding or the marriage? None of this shit matters.

JacquesHammer Thu 14-Mar-19 10:48:49

Why didn't you mention that the tattoos were inappropriate in the OP? Why is it just coming up now that people are calling you out on your prejudice?

It's almost like, and call me cynical, that the thread isn't going the way the OP hoped and therefore she suddenly completely invents remembers some other information she feels is pertinent to assure us all why she isn't being unreasonable. wink

YouBumder Thu 14-Mar-19 10:49:21

Having concerns about the hair is one thing but the comment about the “getting ready” pics and her appearance is beyond ridiculous. I’ve never understood why people need or want photos of this anyway.

As others have said post on fb there are maybe mobile hairdressers with availability

Ohyesiam Thu 14-Mar-19 10:49:39

You sounded anxious up until the point where you mentioned the tattoos. Then you sounded judgedmental and self absorbed to the point of nastiness.

You’re about to link your life to someone else’s. You need to learn to look outside your own needs and wants if you want it to work.

MammaG1417 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:50:51

Can't you do a google search of the stylist you wanted originally? Find out where she is working now?

Stayawayfromitsmouth Thu 14-Mar-19 10:51:13

Hopefully you've booked a very nice sedate looking vicar for your ceremony. If it's a civil ceremony you could get any looking person doing it.
You also can't dictate what guests will turn up wearing.
The hairdresser is too bad but you have plenty of time to find an alternative.
The photos (no-one does this), you could either embrace her look/ photoshop / or even get a stand in to pretend they are doing your hair for photos....

AdobeWanKenobi Thu 14-Mar-19 10:52:14

I have a bloody great 'getting ready' photo from my wedding aeons ago taken by my dad on a disposable camera. It's me and my Mum, sat at the kitchen table in my childhood home with fag in hand (I gave up) deep in conversation.
Every time I look at it I wonder what we were talking about and wish I could go back to that moment.

You can't pose that stuff, and nor should you.

CatG85 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:52:34

I think you'd get less judgement and more help/advice if you just explained everything in one message (like she was saying crude things including...… and her tattoos were offensive such as ….) instead of drip feeding.

It's your wedding day, I would have pushed for a trial or told them you'd go elsewhere and I'm sure they would have given you the trial you wanted and if not good, you could have had another or had time to book someone else.

It sounds as if you're a bit stuck.

captainmarvella Thu 14-Mar-19 10:53:15

I am not sure if it's such a crime for OP to wish for a certain theme / colour / look for her wedding album. It's her day. It's her wish. May be her theme is to have a pink frilly wedding (I wouldn't know, just guessing here) and she doesn't want any edgy look (and I say this as a fan of tattoes). Saying so doesn't make her a horrible person. We have all been some level bridezillas on our special day.

And I don't get the disdain at the getting ready pics either. It's very much a thing in my part of the world. Quit normal to have 'getting ready' pictures of the bride and groom (starting from the dressing room, surrounded by giggling and smiling friends and family, gentle ragging and teasing etc - precious moments) in the album.

OP, I don't have a suggestion for you. But if you don't want to have the tattooed stylist in your album, I suggest you start searching for alternative arrangement right now, you have three months. But be advised you may not be able to find the perfect person at such short notice. You might even have to go with student / freelance stylists.

Bunnyfuller Thu 14-Mar-19 10:54:13

There’s me thinking getting married is about...er...getting married, not judging your hairdresser for how she might look in the photo.

Wow. You sound lovely

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 14-Mar-19 10:55:45

I appreciate Why would she this is probably me being a bit thick, but Why would she be on your wedding photos.
#confusedtwit

waterrat Thu 14-Mar-19 10:56:11

OP my friend came round when I was getting ready and helped me do my hair - we just tied it up and put some flowers on it.

Honestly - Some things really matter with a wedding and some you have to let go.

Just see this as a little lesson from the universe in letting go of the small stuff (and it's all small stuff)

If you start worrying too much about hair (and 'getting ready pictures!!! )) you honestly will not enjoy your day.

It's just meant to be fun - use your normal hairdresser. Don't pay over the odds for wedding hair whatever...

pinkyredrose Thu 14-Mar-19 10:56:14

OP what was 'not right' about the stylist? Her stylist skills, coversation or appearance?

UnderMajorDomoMinor Thu 14-Mar-19 10:56:43

The woman you booked had left, they should have told you that when she left so you could have rearranged then.

I’d try mobile and reconsider the style so it’s simpler and ppl are more likely to get it right.

If you do a new thread with your area ppl might give recommendations

rainingonmyfireworks Thu 14-Mar-19 10:57:43

in the future getting ready pics will feature the bride to be in her wedding underwear no doubt.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 14-Mar-19 10:58:17

Fuck me that comments off its bonce.
Start again, baby spider.

I appreciate this is probably me being a bit thick, but. Why would she be in your wedding photos.
#confusedtwit

HellonHeels Thu 14-Mar-19 10:59:03

Placemarking to find out what the tatts looked like.

x2boys Thu 14-Mar-19 10:59:04

I don't think the hair dresser is going to be on the wedding ohotos,Aww just the "getting read pics" grin

JacquesHammer Thu 14-Mar-19 10:59:09

*I have a bloody great 'getting ready' photo from my wedding aeons ago taken by my dad on a disposable camera. It's me and my Mum, sat at the kitchen table in my childhood home with fag in hand (I gave up) deep in conversation.
Every time I look at it I wonder what we were talking about and wish I could go back to that moment*

flowers

I have one similar - I'm standing with my mum by the window, hair done (no pics of this wink ) in a scratty dressing gown scoffing a bacon butty grin

amymel2016 Thu 14-Mar-19 11:00:26

I can guarantee OP that a year after the wedding you won’t give two poops about your ‘getting ready’ photos.

Ask your normal hairdresser for advice or go back to the woman and say you don’t like what she did, can she do it again.

onalongsabbatical Thu 14-Mar-19 11:00:49

Easier to worry about this than the pre-nup on your other thread OP?

Stinkytoe Thu 14-Mar-19 11:01:53

OP has probably already paid her photographer for a package including the getting ready pics. They seem to be a fairly standard part of wedding photography and my pre-wedding photos are some of my favourites of me and my friends/ family.

The photographers are pretty good at having the stylist in the photo but not of that makes sense, the focus won’t be on him/her so their appearance won’t really matter.

I wouldn’t be happy if my hair didn’t stay in, that’s the key here. It’s also unprofessional for the salon to say you’d booked with X and you actually get Y.

There will be some hairdressers available for your day, it’s going to take a lot of phone calls but you’ll find someone!

BeGoodTanya Thu 14-Mar-19 11:02:31

Nonsense, OP. If you hire the hairdresser, you get to dip her in industrial-strength pancake body-makeup, get her a French manicure and stick her in a nice floral frock that co-ordinates with the flower girls' sashes. And maybe a wig with a nice bouncy blowdry, because I'm sure her hair was all wrong, too.

That way she won't detract from the carefully-posed 'candid' shots of the bridesmaids giggling girlishly over champagne flutes, the flower girls bouncing adorably on the bed in their petticoats and flower crowns, and the crowning shot of The Dress hanging from the curtain rail in reverent close up. Apparently, a photo 'showcasing' your Bridal Lingerie is now a thing, too.

Sparklesocks Thu 14-Mar-19 11:02:52

Awwlookatmybabyspider she means the getting ready ones at the beginning, when bride/bridesmaids are all getting dressed/styled and everyone is smiley/slurping bubbles. Normally they have a few shots of the stylist/MUA doing the bride's hair and make up - apparently this specific hair stylist would apparently ruin these!

asleepinperfectbluebuildings Thu 14-Mar-19 11:02:54

Jesus, the OP and I wouldn't get along, I have tattoos and I'm doing my own "wedding hair". I bet my wedding photos are going to be horrific hmm
However, I'm getting married for the marriage, not because I'm superficial, so I'm not bothered about the pictures.

Also, if you go into a hair salon with the attitude you've displayed in your post, I'm not surprised nobody else wants to do it.

Mummyoflittledragon Thu 14-Mar-19 11:03:45

MarthasGinYard
I also remember op from the prenup thread.

Yes, love, you’ve got far more to worry about than your updo. I hope when it all goes wrong and if you have kids he actually comes good on letting you stay in the marital home.... the home you will only every own 25% of regardless of what it is worth, your earning capacity and state of health.

SausageMashandOnionGravy Thu 14-Mar-19 11:03:49

I suppose I sort of get that you won’t get the shots of having hair done... I actually went to my normal hairdressers and they opened early for us so they could do our hair so I didn’t have pictures of getting my hair done. We then drove to the venue which was 25 min away where we hired a makeup artist to come out and do makeup.

I never really thought about the getting ready pics but I actually got some really nice photos of me and my bridesmaids getting our makeup done. The makeup artist is clearly in the pics, I can see what you mean about the tattoos etc, although everyone on here will say you are ridiculous. I get it, but it never crossed my mind beforehand that she’d be in all our pics, luckily was dressed appropriately etc.

I just had a thought I was at a wedding fair and spoke to a photographer his opening line was “I’m very relaxed you take me how I am, I don’t believe in getting dressed up, i’ll wear What I like” ... he looked like a tramp!!! We carried on walking.... He wouldn’t have actually be in any pics and I still didn’t want him there looking like a scruff!

Gone4Good Thu 14-Mar-19 11:05:16

I'm 65 and hadn't been to a hairdresser for exactly 20 yrs because of series of very bad haircuts. (I was told the last one made me look like Myra Hindley)! Anyway, I'm standing in the check-out at Walmart and see this young man sweeping up hair in the hair salon there. He's got a black crewcut with a bright crimson mohawk thing going on on the top - and tats. Lots of tats.

Overcoming my shyness, feeling brave, I approach him and ask him if he can give me a non old-lady haircut. He seems to 'get me' and gives me the best haircut ever. It's all Chelsea-girl around the fringe and sides and sticking up on top a bit. Holy-shit. I'm so pleased.

Then, feeling empowered I went into the opticians/eyeglass place next-door (still inside Walmart) and browse Sophia Loren frames. The young girl who worked there approaches me and said, "Not those! Those are old lady frames. Try these". She steered me to some trendy frames that suited me to a T. Wow.

Give me an edgy looking hairdresser any day.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »