Talk

Advanced search

To ask them to put them back....

(7 Posts)
Daisy1175 Thu 14-Mar-19 09:25:07

Obviously I can't but after advice please.

My 4 year old had her tonsils out on the 13th Feb after a couple of bad years with them.
I was told "she'll be a different child" that's true, just sadly not for the better

She's amazingly unreasonable, screaming tantrums at the smallest thing.
Her sleep pattern is all over the place and therefore I think tiredness is a factor, I'm putting her to bed at 7 and she's going straight to sleep, but she's awake at least 3-4 times a night, then up and awake at about 6, it's 11 hours which is great but 11 very broken hours.

Her stamina used to be amazing she ran rings around me, but obviously that declined too.

Her eating is sporadic at best.

She's awful to her dss, I referee constantly.

Any tips, advice from others who've had this?

Just wait it out and know it will improve in time?
Thanks

Ragnarthe Thu 14-Mar-19 09:27:29

It's still quite recent, it will probably settle down

VelociraptorRex Thu 14-Mar-19 09:34:06

Maybe take her to the GP, just check she hasn't got an infection in the wound where they took them out?

MsGee Thu 14-Mar-19 09:36:00

I read some research for work showing that children can have a range of issues after a stay in hospital mainly due to anxiety (https://www.poemsforchildren.co.uk/) .

I would treat it as anxiety and try to reassure her as much as possible, and maybe encourage her to talk about how she felt in hospital?

My DD had a small operation aged 6 and (5 years on) still talks about how awful being in hospital was for her (one night, but lots of outpatient appointments).

Seeline Thu 14-Mar-19 09:37:57

It can take a good 2-3 weeks to get over a GA. I had an op at 15, and remember I just needed to sleep all the time for two weeks, and then couldn't sleep at night.
Her eating was probably disrupted immediately after the op. Again, I felt very sick for a couple of days, and also (had my tonsils out at just 5) my throat was unbelievably sore. She possibly still isn't really sure if eating will make her feel sick, or hurt her.
Surgery is traumatic at that age. She probably just needs reassurance and time.

Daisy1175 Thu 14-Mar-19 10:03:11

Thank you
I hadn’t thought of the anxiety side.
She’s had 2 courses if antibiotics since due to infections. We saw the surgeon yesterday and she’s all clear now

Seeline Thu 14-Mar-19 10:10:51

ABs can make you feel sick, and cause stomach ache so that might be another reason for not eating.

I had my tonsils out 45 years ago, so things were very different. parents only visited during visiting hours, and we went to the operating theatre on our own - no parents allowed. Woke up on our own after the op. I was in hospital for a week. I was terrified most of the time. I know things are so completely different now, but I can imagine it would still be fairly traumatic for a 4 yo.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »