Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up that so much chocolate now has palm oil in it?

(65 Posts)
cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 07:56:09

Palm oil is bad for the environment. And it tastes horrible. It used to be that no chocolate had palm oil as an ingredient, now nearly all chocolate has palm oil in it. It has been good for my waistline as the only chocolate for sale next to my office that is palm oil free, is an expensive bar of chocolate at £3 each. But I do miss having a bar of chocolate on a tough day.

AwdBovril Thu 14-Mar-19 08:01:08

I agree. I only buy good chocolate. It's helpful actually, as I'm a a bit of a chocoholic & would eat a lot of chocolate if the cheap stuff was still nice. Now I only tend to buy the more expensive stuff, & eat less of it. Most cheap chocolate is horrid now, it tastes like it's made with candle wax.

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:06:48

I am amazed that anyone but kids eat it now. So much of it is vile.

Buccanarab Thu 14-Mar-19 08:25:38

To be fair milk's not any better for the environment

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:33:29

Palm oil is a new way we are fucking up our environment.
And depends where the milk is produced. Milk produced in Britain is fine for the environment.

Thindragon Thu 14-Mar-19 08:35:20

Palm oil is better for the environment than the alternatives. Or at least differently shit.

Theknacktoflying Thu 14-Mar-19 08:38:00

responsibly sourced palm oil? The boxes and other wrappings the chocolate comes in is just as bad for the environment.

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:41:22

There is no such thing as responsibly sourced palm oil. And cocoa butter the traditional ingredient in chocolate can be made in a responsible way.
Sure wrappings are bad for the environment, but I can't choose not to buy wrapped foods.
I have never bought into this idea that because we can not do everything 100% ethically as individuals, we should do nothing.

goose1964 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:41:39

Tesco own brand doesn't have palm oil in it

SileneOliveira Thu 14-Mar-19 08:41:50

It makes chocolate taste waxy, greasy and disgusting. We no longer buy Cadbury's because it tastes so awful.

There are lots of palm-free brands out there but you have to shop carefully. Lindt milk chocolate is one of the best, the bunnies and so on. They do use palm oil in fillings for their truffles and so on. Aldi's Moser Roth is excellent. However these brands are more expensive. Personally i think it's worth paying £1.49 or whatever for a 125g pack of Moser Roth than getting 2 bars of disgusting Dairy Milk for a quid.

PositivelyPeach Thu 14-Mar-19 08:48:14

I had a flake for the first time in ages, it was disgusting!

I believe M&S chocolate bars are palm oil free. They certainly taste loads nicer than Cadbury's.

HeyNannyNanny Thu 14-Mar-19 08:50:03

!!! Is this why I don't like Cadburys any more?!
I live abroad and my boyfriend bought me a stash over and I was deeply underwhelmed, I just presumed my tastebuds had changed from living away so long.

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:51:10

Yes I am happy to pay a bit more. Just the corner shop by my workplace does only has an expensive palm free oil choice. It is sold as gourmet chocolate. I actually prefer chocolate that is not as rich as that is. Maybe I need to be more organised and take my chocolate to work,

PickAChew Thu 14-Mar-19 08:53:30

The palm oil replaced hydrogenated fats. Yummy.

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 08:54:49

Tasted better.
And you can buy chocolate with only cocoa butter.

harper30 Thu 14-Mar-19 09:01:31

It's in everything these days and I agree op it's so off-putting. I only realised this month that every single brand of baby formula bar one has palm oil in it too hmmconfused

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 09:03:06

I did not know it was in formula

geekaMaxima Thu 14-Mar-19 09:05:52

Kendamil formula has no palm oil - it's made in the UK but not distributed as widely as the global brands.

Birdsgottafly Thu 14-Mar-19 09:07:51

We should never have had chocolate so cheap. It didn't used to be.

Africa has everything that the rest of the World can't live without, Cocoa Beans, Oil, Nuts etc, yet the children of the workers die of malnutrition.

We haven't give a shit about Africans, especially the Women/Children, since time began, but we are suddenly concerned about the animals, that's a bit fucked up.

Now thays extending to South America, India, Vietnam etc.

We need to rethink the way of life the food industry has got us into and put pressure on manufacturers to move towards ethical trading and food quality.

Birdsgottafly Thu 14-Mar-19 09:19:36

Pickachew "the palm oil replaced hydrogenated fats. Yummy."

There are a variety of oils that can be used. It was in the 60's that we started using the ingredients that we recognise today and the food is no better quality or taste.

But the real issue is the amount consumed. Chocolate shouldn't be a daily food, with big bags of it for £1.

I can still remember the "lady loves milk tray" adverts, because chocolate was a treat for special occasions.

cantbearsed1 Thu 14-Mar-19 16:40:31

It is not that expensive to buy decent chocolate. We are talking about a small amount of money more. But it tastes so much better.
I miss chocolate though like Aero and maltesers. They are shit now.

ForOldLandsEye Thu 14-Mar-19 16:57:20

I agree. It tastes horrible now. Too sweet (like syrup) and has a tangy after-taste and doesn't melt in your mouth like it used to.

Sad.

PickAChew Thu 14-Mar-19 18:40:42

It's hard to read, as a tiny attachment, but this thread reminded me that I have some ancient roses jars.

CrazyCrunk Thu 14-Mar-19 18:43:09

I miss chocolate. It's probably for the best that it's mostly inedible now. (Go to Aldi!)

nomorespaghetti Thu 14-Mar-19 18:45:48

Divine chocolate, you can get it in the Oxfam shop, it's delicious, fairtrade and no palm oil.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »