Talk

Advanced search

To ask how you cheer yourself up

(11 Posts)
YesimstillwatchingNetflix Wed 13-Mar-19 21:08:18

I've had a rough few months and it's wearing me down. I'm also about 9 weeks pregnant, and suddenly have incredibly low mood and lethargy which I've not really experienced before. I'm hoping it's just hormonal and it will pass.

Can I ask for ways to cope? I'm finding it overwhelming. I've tried watching funny things on YouTube, actively thinking positive thoughts, taking it one moment at a time.

I can't seem to break through.

JumpedOverTheMoon Wed 13-Mar-19 21:18:09

Hey. Kind of following this post too. But wanted to say mention it next time you have an appointment (doctors or midwife), they might be able to check if everything is ok, sometimes our body has ways of telling us we might be low on vitamin D or something. Are u taking pregnancy suppliments?
I like to watch comedy programmes when I'm feeling low. I might not laugh along but if I watch anything with anything emotional I'll just blub. Hot bubble bath with a book makes me happy too (I rarely get time to read and be alone!). I know how you feel and would be interested in other people's responses.
Keep going you've got it, hope life eases up a bit!

MustBeAWeasly Wed 13-Mar-19 21:23:34

I'm struggling really badly with PND at the minute and I've been trying to take more time for myself to do things I enjoy like read or play a game. When I have bad days I'll give dh whole responsibility of dd, tidy the living room so it's spotless which makes me feel good, have a bath then sit on the couch under my big heavy blanket either with a xbox game with a good story I can get sucked into or a book.
If you don't game I know it sounds daft but I actually brought my first xbox when I was going though some things a few years ago and games were the only things that kept me going, I could totally detach from the world.
Not so easy now with dd but I can still get a couple hours in the evening to totally switch off.

Winchestermom35 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:28:59

Put on some loud music. Dance around your kitchen singing for 10 minutes.

VelvetPineapple Wed 13-Mar-19 21:31:35

Food. McDonalds if you can get it. When I was pregnant I ate my weight in McFlurry.

YesimstillwatchingNetflix Wed 13-Mar-19 21:45:22

@MustBeAWeasly what games do you play? I don't know how to play, but I like the idea of escaping. I think the last game I played was the Sims in 2000!

MustBeAWeasly Wed 13-Mar-19 21:50:54

@yesimstillwatchingnetflix anything with a good story I started with the Uncharted collection which has 4 games. Tomb Raider. Fallout 4, Bioshock Collection
For me it has to be something with a good story that will keep me playing, films and TV doesn't do it for me when I'm anxious because there's nothing to keep my brain or hands busy while I watch.
I'm now better than my DH 😂

Bogiesaremyonlyfriend Thu 14-Mar-19 21:19:21

Exercise- hard work to get going but makes me feel so happy. Also a chat and a brew with a good friend. Love a good board game - got trivial pursuit at the minute and it's great fun with dh. Have you heard of wasgij puzzles again they are real good fun for just forgetting the world, even better if you have someone to do them with

Easterbunnyiscomingsoon Thu 14-Mar-19 21:22:29

Watching a comedian is actually recommended by some gps!
A few hours of Dinnerladies does me good op.
Billy Connolly is like drugs!

Sparklesocks Thu 14-Mar-19 21:22:43

Quite simple things but: have a nice meal, a bubble bath, I have a playlist of music that makes me feel happy I put on, watch silly dog videos on YouTube, Watch my ‘comfort’ tv shows on Netflix, message a friend reminding them of a funny time we had together.
I hope you feel better flowers

Earthmoon Fri 15-Mar-19 07:37:00

Visit an elderly person. I don't know why taking my grandmother to visit her friends make me happy. I do end up helping out sometimes which in turn makes me feel useful and they are a very funny group. They don't see each other often as they tend to get lost especially after dark. All of them say spending money on taxis and uber is not worth it and that it is a waste of money. They won't accept anyone to pay it for them and they won't do it themselves either. So they just call each other, but they allow people driving them for free. So db, one of the friend ds and I drive them around as we are the only ones with a car. The way their mood uplifts when they see each other is amazing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »