Talk

Advanced search

To ask for an ambulance?

(343 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

Kindofnewtothis Wed 13-Mar-19 20:46:42

I don't know what to do really.
Had a bit of leg pain and tingling the last day or so and wasn't concerned at all but I rang 111, because I had a pulmonary embolism a year ago I thought I should be cautious in case it was another blood clot.
111 people got a doctor from the local hospital to ring me back, she said she isn't concerned from what I've said but wants me to come to a&e straight away for bloods and scan.
I honestly feel fine and a little bit embarrassed, what if it's just a sore muscle or something.
But when I got off the phone I then realised I now have £3 in my bank account and about 80p cash, so can't get an Uber or a bus at this time. I'm a student so all my friends and family are in a different city. Should I ring 111 back and ask if they have a way to transport me? I feel well but if a doctor has told me to go to a&e then it's made me worried.

keepforgettingmyusername Wed 13-Mar-19 20:47:50

Yes I would ring them back. No one in your family could transfer some money to your bank account no?

John470322 Wed 13-Mar-19 20:49:21

Yes phone and explain and see what they suggest. They may send transport, it is best to phone and ask.

Tiredofit Wed 13-Mar-19 20:52:07

Out of hours once sent a car for baby ds and I when I didn’t have any transport so they may have an arrangement. Give them a ring back and see. Hope all is well.

MakeLemonade Wed 13-Mar-19 20:52:41

Could your family pay for a taxi over the phone? Most can take a card payment over the phone although may add a small fee.

ATBhinchers Wed 13-Mar-19 20:55:45

I'd say 99% of your family and friends use online banking so just give them a shout and I'm sure they'll transfer it immediately. you don't need an ambulance.

HarrysOwl Wed 13-Mar-19 20:58:38

I think of would try everything I possibly could before using an ambulance as a taxi.

Floralnomad Wed 13-Mar-19 21:00:48

Your issue will be that even if you get an ambulance to take you in you likely won’t get one to bring you back . You need to ask a family member to transfer you some money

kaytee87 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:02:09

What about transport home?

You need to ask family to transfer you some money.

Kindofnewtothis Wed 13-Mar-19 21:04:18

Both parents are asleep, my sister said just go tomorrow, and my best friend is in an unarranhed overdraft confused because I feel fine maybe I should hold off until tomorrow when maybe someone can send me some money or something, just scared myself a bit now haha

kaytee87 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:04:28

I broke my ankle and leg in 4 places, couldn't move without agonising pain and wasn't sent an ambulance. I had to stay at home for another full day and night until someone could bring me a wheelchair to get into hospital. (Various family were on holiday etc and husband couldn't manage me into the car himself as I couldn't even hop).
So in another words, no, you won't be sent an ambulance.

Oysterbabe Wed 13-Mar-19 21:04:39

Yabu.

kaytee87 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:05:03

Wake your parents up. It's only 9pm.

Hiphopopotamous Wed 13-Mar-19 21:07:45

An urgent ambulance is not a taxi.
Do you not have any other friends or neighbours who could lend you a couple of quid?

brighton2016 Wed 13-Mar-19 21:08:16

Yes wake parents up ask them to bank transfer. It's not late and I am sure they wouldn't mind under the circumstance

killpop Wed 13-Mar-19 21:08:27

Wake them up

EstrellaDamn Wed 13-Mar-19 21:09:01

I'm pretty sure you can wake your parents up for a suspected thrombosis.

Don't take up ambulance resources because you're skint when you have an alternative.

Dyingforchocolate Wed 13-Mar-19 21:10:22

I think you should wake your parents too, I don't think they'll mind under the circumstances

Redglitter Wed 13-Mar-19 21:10:31

Both parents are asleep at 9pm? I'd still phone them. Under the circumstances in sure they'd understand.

YABVU to phone an Ambulance

Noqont Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:03

You need to wake your parents up.

Kindofnewtothis Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:09

I don't understand how I am expected to wake parents up when they're in a different city? I don't have anyone round here that could help, maybe I could ring 111 back and ask if it could wait until tomorrow?

ReggieWoo Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:15

Oh god deffo phone your parents.

They wouldn't want you worried

ReggieWoo Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:35

Phone them to wake then

BarlowB Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:37

Even if you did ring 111 back they've already deemed it appropriate for a call back not an ambulance. If they thought you needed an ambulance they pass the details to the ambulance service and often you'll get a call back from the urgent care department by a practitioner there. Ambulances are for LIFE THREATENING EMERGENCIES. They are in very limited numbers! The 111 service didn't think you needed one, nor did a doctor. You need to wake your parents up and ask for them to take you. The doctor is prob querying a DVT hence why you need the bloods to check for a protein in the blood and it's very unlikely they'll do a dopler within an emergency department (the scan the doctor mentioned)
I'm sure your parents would understand given the circumstances of your previous PE

Noqont Wed 13-Mar-19 21:12:50

Because they could pay for a cab over the phone.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »