Talk

Advanced search

Couples who do absolutely everything together

(737 Posts)
evaperonspoodle Wed 13-Mar-19 16:59:06

Not so much an AIBU as obviously it is up to them but I must admit I'm slightly miffed by this. I know a few couples like this, one for example that go to the GP together (and he will go in with her) for non emergency appointments, she will go to put petrol in the car and he will pop along for the ride etc.
A couple (parents) in my ds' class appear to be joined at the hip. They do pick ups together, there was a class meeting recently where due to space it was requested that only 1 parent attend and of course they both came. DS had a playdate at their house and both came to the door to meet me. I reciprocated recently and both came to my door to collect their ds.
A friend got married abroad, did a 'girls' day at her house to show the video and one woman brought her partner because it would be 'more fun'.

Again, this is light hearted and I don't think there are any social anxiety/ASD/DV issues going on, the women concerned just seem to want to be with their partners all the time.

IrmaFayLear Mon 18-Mar-19 13:35:10

We may all be different, but some people are a bit "differenter" !

The most extreme couples I've seen are ones who will never visit their own parents alone, always as a pair. Still worse some couples will not interact separately with their dcs. There is never a one-on-one with a child for, eg, a day out. Someone said "the children of lovers are as orphans" . Fil was like this. He only had eyes for mil and dh, now he has his own dcs, realises it was pretty weird and unkind behaviour.

cantbearsed1 Mon 18-Mar-19 13:55:07

Irma I remember Carol Thatcher wrote an autobiography and in a TV interview about it, she said that her and her brother felt in the way of her parents ongoing love affair.

IrmaFayLear Mon 18-Mar-19 14:05:48

Totally off the point, but what happened to Carol Thatcher? The last time I saw her she was winning I'm a Celebrity...

outpinked Mon 18-Mar-19 14:14:38

I find it weird too. My exH and his OH are like this, I don’t understand it. ExH won’t collect them on a Friday because he has to do the food shop with her after work for example, why do two adults need to do a food shop and what is wrong with online shopping confused. He has also never spent the day out with the DC on his own, her and her DC always have to be included which I find pathetic.

I would feel smothered in this set up. I don’t understand how couples that work together survive either.

cantbearsed1 Mon 18-Mar-19 14:17:39

No idea Irma, but she will I think be retirement age by now.

IrmaFayLear Mon 18-Mar-19 16:04:54

Right, just looked up CT and found that she has disappeared after making an ill-advised remark (well, actually an awful remark) in a green room. Now lives in Switzerland.

FunkyKingston Mon 18-Mar-19 16:07:57

I remember Carol Thatcher wrote an autobiography and in a TV interview about it, she said that her and her brother felt in the way of her parents ongoing love affair

As they say, the children of lovers are orphans. Thatcher put her own wishes ahead of more vulnerable people's needs, I'm shocked, shocked to the core of my being.

screamifyouwant Mon 18-Mar-19 17:57:01

People commenting that if your not with oh you are with friends.
What about bring on your own like you don't need a friend or oh to go to the doctors or do the supermarket shop .
I spend a lot of time with dh I live with him , I see friends socially but I like to be able to run errands on my own . I don't need my dh or any friends for that . I think it's being independent adult to be able to go places on your own .

GinUnicorn Mon 18-Mar-19 20:16:46

Has anyone else had to take that personally test to know what the heck others were on about.

Apparently I’m ENFJ

Sorry for the derail.

Helmetbymidnight Tue 19-Mar-19 09:50:45

If anyone here does MBTI, my type is INTJ, which is fairly unusual and I think this is why I don't connect with people the way some do. I have connected with people maybe four or five times in my life, and my husband is one of those. If I'm going to spend time with someone I prefer it to be him.

Actually...Dh is the same as you, Batman. INTJ. He has maybe one friend apart from me. It's probably the thing I find most annoying about him. grin

Moonchild1987 Sat 23-Mar-19 08:01:34

@screamifyouwant though I have done both on my own before and have no problem doing so u guess it's I find chores like that boring. It's hardly the highlight of my day where I do cart wheels. Having company of my partner there with me just makes it slightly less boring for the food shop or if I am at the doctors he keeps my mind off worrying or us there for comfort if I should need it.

Moonchild1987 Sat 23-Mar-19 09:10:54

@GirlUnicorn yes I have. INFJ here. It made a lot of sense and explained why I always preferred smaller friendship groups and spending one on one time with a selected friend rather then a large group if I can help it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »